problem viewing JPEG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem viewing JPEG

I am trying to view jpegs that are generated by my data analysis in matlab. My colleague uses Irfanview 3.8 and has no problem seeing them. I just downloaded irfanview 4.10 but couldn't the files. I got the following error msg: "Decode error! Unsupported JPEG process/compression SOF type 0xc3". Does anybody know what this mean and how to fix it? My other colleague using a different machine couldn't open it either with 3.8. What might the issue be? Thanks

Did you download and install the latest plugins too?

If that doesn't work, attach one of the files that you cannot view.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

"SOF" (Start of Frame) "C3" (0xc3 means a hexadecimal value "c3") means it is a "lossless" JPG. You may not have the "JPG Transform" plug-in, which adds the ability to work with that non-traditional JPG format.
      I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
      Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I've downloaded the latest plugins and they are in the right directory. It also has the jpg_transform plugin. However, I was still unable to view the image and got the same error msg from before.....

attached is the image. Let me know whether you can view this or not.....thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

I get the same error message too. But this has got to be a bad image. In looking at the hex-data of the file there is a WHOLE LOT of "00" bytes throughout the file. JPG data has very little "00" data. The whole idea of JPG is a compression method, and having lots of non-changing data (strings of "00") is very inefficient. I suspect that the file has been corrupted.

The first dozen bytes in the file do identify the file as being a JPG image, but after about 80 bytes, into the file, there is all that bogus "00" data intermixed with a few bytes of other stuff. Overall, I would say that more than half of the file is just "00" data.

Very unlikely a valid JPG.

Comment

Thanks ChuckE......that's bizarre, since my colleague has no problem opening the image on her machine. The image is a mask of white circles on black background, so it's not surprising that more than half are 00. We use adaptive thresholding to threshold an image acquired from a microscope and turn it into a mask for further analysis. When I talked to her yesterday, she didn't know why it wouldn't open on my computer, but hers......I will take a look at it again today. Any thought is appreciated.

Comment

Since it is a mask, and typically masks are not stored as JPG's, since a JPG never really has "invisible" areas, I would guess that your friend's computer has a graphic program that uses masks. If that is so, then it could be that that computer is setup to associate those JPG files with that graphic program. Do you know what that friend uses to open this JPG? That might help.

Now, because this "JPG" reports to be a lossless JPG format, it may actually be. But the plug-in of IrfanView just can't read it. But whatever your friend is using, seems to. So, another guess is that the program used to make this mask saves in a non-regular (to IrfanView) lossless JPG format, I think that is called "JPG2000" or JP2. In my experience, and it is limited, I would say that perhaps the JP2 format is still not firm as to what sort of compression is used. Perhaps this is one of those ...?

Comment

I just downloaded another graphic fine viewer, called XnView, which can also open JP2 files (lossless JPG) and it could not open that image either.

I found a graphic tool called Kakadu, which is a commercial package (costs a minimum of $250, so I am not going to try it). The Kakadu website says that it "is a complete implementation of the JPEG2000 standard, Part 1, -- i.e., ISO/IEC 15444-1 -- plus a great deal of Parts 2 and 3."

From that it sounds like there is still some possibility of format conflicts.

Comment

Thanks for your thorough investigation. The sys admin in my lab suspects that irfanview might call on photoshop to make a lossless JPEG compression. I don't fully understand what it means, but I couldn't open it with photoshop either. I was too busy today to investigate this problem.....I'll try to sort it out next Monday....

Comment

Naaah, that's not it. If somehow Photoshop was "calling on" IrfanView to make a lossless JPG (I can see how it might be done, but WHY would Photoshop ask any other application to make a graphic file for it?), then IrfanView would be able to open it.

Comment

Yeah....turned out to be a miscommunication with my colleague.....so she couldn't open the jpeg with irfanview either, but matlab is fine. We found a freeware this afternoon that is able to open this jpeg. It's called ibrowser: http://ibrowser.fcodersoft.com/.

Comment

Working...
                      X