Batch convert to 4x6 for photo processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch convert to 4x6 for photo processing

Hi. I'm not only new to digital photography, but also new to IV. It appears to be a great program, and have played around with it quite a bit so far to become pretty familiar with it.

My problem is that I have about 600 images that I took with my Panasonic FinePix S7000 some time ago, and they are generally sizes like 2848x2136, 2016x1512 or 2816x2112 and have file sizes ranging from 1MB to 3MB, and I'd really like to have them printed at snapfish or one of the other online sites.

What I think needs to be done is to "virtually" grab the left-top and bring it towards the right-bottom without losing any image quality. Does that make sense? :-)

Is that possible to do or the correct way to do it?

Also, how does one do the math to convert numbers like 2848x2136 to "aspect ratios" that exist like 4x3, 4x6, and 16x9? Are those the correct terms?

Thanks so much!
    Best regards,
    Dave

It is not too clear whether you want to crop or resize.

See Batch Conversion of Files
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      It is not too clear whether you want to crop or resize.

See Batch Conversion of Files
      I want to be able to resize hundreds of images without losing any of the part of the picture itself. In other words, the pictures are virtually square, which don't work very well with the photo processing places. They want to crop the top and bottom, cutting off someone's head or feet, for example.

What I'd like to do is resize the image in such a way that it turns the virtually square image into something that's 4x6 so the online photo processing places can fit the print onto their normal 4x6 photo paper.

How can this be done in a batch mode using IV?

Thanks so much.
      Dave

Comment

I don't know snapfish. However the services I have used (Germany) have a box you can tick, so that images are downsized to fit the paper rather than clipped. This usually results in white margins in the print.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
          I don't know snapfish. However the services I have used (Germany) have a box you can tick, so that images are downsized to fit the paper rather than clipped. This usually results in white margins in the print.
          White margins in the print is exactly what I want to avoid :-) This is the whole reason for trying to resize them manually.

Thanks,
          Dave

Comment

It is not possible. Either:

1. You have to distort the picture
            2. You have to crop the picture, or
            3. You have to add white borders.

I would opt for manually cropping each picture using the desired aspect ratio with a custom selection, holding down the control key to resize the selection, and using the right mouse to move it. Then I would crop the image to the selection.

Each photograph will need to be cropped differently to include the most interesting details. Save as highest quality JPG to a new file, leaving the originals untouched.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              It is not possible. Either:

1. You have to distort the picture
              2. You have to crop the picture, or
              3. You have to add white borders.

I would opt for manually cropping each picture using the desired aspect ratio with a custom selection, holding down the control key to resize the selection, and using the right mouse to move it. Then I would crop the image to the selection.

Each photograph will need to be cropped differently to include the most interesting details. Save as highest quality JPG to a new file, leaving the originals untouched.
              After listening to someone just tell me it's not possible, it totally makes sense. It's very unfortunate because there are a lot of images taken before learning the camera was not set properly (my inexperience).

I'm familiar with how to do the process manually. Thanks so much for your help.

dave

Comment

Your photos have been taken in a 3 x 4 aspect ratio. If you want undistorted and uncropped photos, you need to print to the same ratio. It's a matter of reducing the fractions. 4 x 6 prints are a 2 x 3 aspect ratio and will require manual adjustment for your existing photos.

A simple solution can be had if you use a service capable of printing your 3 x 4 aspect ratio. Winkflash, at http://www.winkflash.com/prints/, can handle it with their 4 x 5.3 print size.

I've used Winkflash for years, and their services have been exemplary.

Comment

Of course this thread is something old and my answer comes not just in time!!
                  But my answer is not new also!

Search the forum and you can find JPEGCrops!
                  Try this program!

Thus you can resize/crop all your pictures separately successively! Step by step!

(PS: Or see program menu of IrfanView: \Edit\ and try the function "Create custom crop selection!"!)

Comment

Working...
                  X