Windows can't find my .ico files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows can't find my .ico files

I have created some .ico files using IrfanView.

When I try to find them in the browser for replacing the icon associated with a program, it can't find them. Windows Explorer can't find them either, but the file browser in the image manipulation program GIMP finds them and loads them without any problems. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I have set it to show hidden and system files in case that was the problem, but it makes no difference.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Probably they're still in Windows XP format.

Vista Icons

IrfanView doesn't support the Vista icon format AFAIK.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I don't think that would have any bearing on it. The incompatibility is in the other direction. Windows Explorer is a bletch for showing what it pleases. The new Vista attitude makes it even harder to see all files.

When you browse for the icons, see if the Open dialog window is filtering for certain file types. It may only be showing *.exe, *.dll, and maybe *.icl files, not *.ico. In the file type selection area at the bottom of the window, look for "all files (*.*)". I don't have Vista in front of me at the moment (LOL) but I have been there, and some Micro$oft GUI things don't change much. If you made them, and you can see them with something, they are by golly there.
      Last edited by matera; 02.04.2008, 12:42 AM.
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I use Vista Home Premium and I can see ICO files that I created in IrfanView. As Matera says though Vista really does hide things away. Were you logged on as a different user when you created them? That is the easiest way to lose them. Vista hates showing you someone else's files.
        If all else fails do an advanced search. In the Start menu Search box type something and it should show you the "Search everywhere" option (was "Show all results" before SP1 update). Select that and click on the Advanced search drop-down. On the Location drop-down box select Computer and also check the box marked "Include non-indexed, hidden and system files". Then type what you are looking for in the Search box, hit Search and sit back while it does a real search.
        Last edited by Mij; 02.04.2008, 08:39 PM. Reason: Sorry, forgot it had changed in Vista SP1

Comment

Files found, in amazing location!

Thanks for tip about Search in start menu, which got to places that Explorer hadn't found. What an incredible trail! It found a shortcut to my file, said it was broken, offered to fix it and eventually took me on a magical mystery tour to places I hadn't dreamt existed. The file which, as far as I knew, I had put in a folder under c:\program files, eventually turned out to be in a hidden world called c:\users\<username>\appdata\local\virtual store\program files. It looks as though applications accessed by mere mortals, even if they are administrators, don't really write information to c:\program files even when Vista allows them to think that is where they are storing them. Driving my new computer feels like those first few months driving a car, when it feels as though it is driving you. And I've been driving PCs since 1979!

Comment

Working...
          X