Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Kill Cat Icon

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.10
    OS
    Win XP Media Center

Yeah... but what about the second icon that was posted earlier... the one with the tire tracks? .... LOL

Arden

Administrator
    Version
    IrfanView 4.33
    OS
    64-bit Linux Distribution
    CPU Cores

Hi,

the second one has no tire tracks: I guess it´s a kind of wave: a cat is relaxing at the beach ...

steve

(Please guess, why i left out any similies )

IV Beginner

Default A few years ago...

I requested a feature for differentiating icons for different formats JPG, GIF, PNG. I believe the icons plugin was the result.

While grateful for the plugin, this was not exactly what I had in mind. I was hoping for an easy way for users to choose icons for the various formats.

Here's a thought, expand the plugin to open a dialog box and add many more icons to it. Maybe allow user created icons to be added to a file for use by the plugin. Yes, this can be accomplished in Windows Explorer, but if you're looking at it that way, does the plugin really serve any purpose?

Just my two cents worth.
    Last edited by Steven W; 31.12.2007 at 11:38 PM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores

Good points. I accomplish the differentiation with TC, and I have quite enough choice so far with the existing set.
    Then I have also the choice to use a custom created icon if I want to.

And I don't fancy the set in 'icons.dll', but that's not important. But I think this plugin should be called like 'icons01.dll',
    because it's just one particular set. The contents could be anything else.

The most easiest way for users to choose icons for the various formats would be an extension in the dialog of :
    Extensions/Miscellaneous/Icon for the associations. As a first step.
    An extra choice under 'Different icon for each format' called e.g. 'Choose format', with a list pulldown.
    After selecting the format, then one of the 8 Standard icons can be enabled.

My priority as second step would be the selection of a single external ICO file per format, maybe just to indicate a rare one.
    This, before being able to load a complete set in a library as DLL or ICL.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

IV Beginner

I do actually like the icons in the plugin, even though as stated above, it isn't what I had in mind. I noticed that the icons.dll file can be edited with XNResource Editor. If one were careful and just edited the icons that they used using XN's painting abilities and not disturbed the dll too much otherwise, one could create icons they desire. Perhaps if some wanted to share the files and a preview of the icons, these could be shared online.

http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm

This may not be advisable for the average user.
    Last edited by Steven W; 01.01.2008 at 04:37 PM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores

So far, I've used ResHacker occasionally for replacing or re-ordering icons in an exe-file,
    but this XNResource Editor looks very promising. Thanks for the tip, I will check it out.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores

XNResourceEditor seems like a good software. I've got quite a few of these resource editors, because only some correctly parse Delphi forms, visualize them, have Unicode, support Win3.11 NE programs etc.

ResHacker has proved invaluable in creation of Nero 6 lite version. I've also modified most common XP system libraries with classic Win98/2k icons.

IV Beginner

Default Resource Editors

Yeah, these things rock! A while back I used XN to mod some WMP dlls to make some sites that at the time were "XP and WMP 10 only" work under win98.

http://www.msfn.org/board/In2TV-Win98-t82947.html

I thinks we're getting a bit off-topic though

I've used Irfanview for a couple of years now, but until recently I never had the red cat show up as the icon for all of my directory files.

Now I can't get rid of them. Nothing I do removes this icon permanently.

Tools - Folder options... forget it!

View - etc -- forget it!

Folder options in control panel -- forget it!

Right click and click 'thumbnails' -- forget it!

Maddening.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

In IrfanView, Properties, Exensions, and uncheck files that you don't wish to associate with IrfanView. Click the Miscellaneous button to change icons used by IrfanView. Reassoicate file types with other programs from Explorer if you wish to use that program's icon.

Thread Information