This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
    I don't think that it's necessary, the discussion isn't degenerating at all. By the way, the post you quoted (maybe the only one that was a bit harsh towards Irfan) is really old, maybe the person who posted it doesn't even follow this forum anymore.
    Yes, the post I quoted is a few days old - I was out of circulation and hadn't visited the Forum. So it kind of took me by surprise and I felt I HAD to reply! And you are probably right again - the person posting the comment does not appear to have returned since his last post.
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
      Yes, the post I quoted is a few days old
      Few years old... it was posted on 28.12.2007.
      IrfanPaint developer
      The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
      IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Yeow, 2007!!! Didn't notice that the earlier posts were that old! It came up under New Posts since there were posts (by others) recently.
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Its just an icon. If you don't like it, then change it. There is a Panda icon you can use instead, or you can create your own icon and select that from the shortcut properties.

This thread is going nowhere useful.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Listen, we are not the developers of IrfanView, we cannot do anything with it; still, you can change that icon if you don't like it, so I don't see the problem.

@Bhikkhu: I merged the post before noticing you closed the thread, I reopen it to let he reply here. Anyhow I think it's better to leave it open, let's have just one place for this kind of rant.
              IrfanPaint developer

Comment

I'm trying to do the easy "new icons.dll -> extensions -> use different icons" fix with the included icons.dll posted earlier in this thread, but it does not work. I hit ok and ok again on the settings page and nothing changes, same with if I try to use the included alternate icons. It's maddening!

Could it be that I'm running Windows 7 64bit? My irfanview version is 4.25.

btw: I think it's mostly that the dang thing is so red, and so flat, which draws all the more attention to the horrendous squiggly blob of a shape it has. As a visual arts person, it is enough to make me want to uninstall the program, nice as the functionality of irfanview is.

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

Comment

I have no problems with dead cats as icons; however, I, too, would really like to see some new & neater version of that poor animal instead of those (yeah, except ...) 3.1 style icons.

Comment

A new angle on the age-old road kill angst - how about a design contest?

Many thanks to Phew for the detailed instructions on how to remove the road kill icon. It's much appreciated. I'll be giving it a try.

I've come here today, not for the first time, to plead with Irfan (and perhaps his colleagues?) to consider a new icon. Like so many other people, I love Irfanview and I have been using it for many years. But I hate the road kill icon so much that I've changed the file association icons and program shortcut icons. The only thing I haven't done yet is use Resource Hacker to get the road kill off my toolbar. And everytime I see it, I wince.

What motivated my visit today is that I was just about to recommend Irfanview to a colleague when I realised, damn, she'll be quite freaked out by the road kill icon. I'll have to send her a PS saying hey, this image editor is so brilliant that I really recommend you just ignore the brightly coloured eyesore of a squashed dead animal and just enjoy this software's marvellous and sophisticated features. (Frankly, it's a slightly ridiculous and embarrassing situation.)

Irfan, I realise that you're not a graphical artist and that you're an extremely busy man. The thing is, your software is legendary! It's loved and respected by (probably) millions! I'll bet that if you ran an open contest to design a new icon for Irfanview, that everyone on deviantART and half the brilliant graphic designers in the world would enter, just to have a chance of being your new icon designer. Please Irfan, think it over. There are so many visual artists using this program who love your software and wince at that road kill every day.

After all, you could always put a tick box in the installer for people who like the road kill. That's what the developers of Notepad++ did, when they introduced their beautiful new icon, to the delight and relief of many. Please, please reconsider.

As always, a million thanks for your superb program.

Best regards

Ecto

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
                      Enough noise has been made on this topic, along with some nice methods on how to change default icons. So my request is, will the Moderators kindly close this Thread?
                      I agree. Its not even in the right forum. This feedback forum is for feedback about this IrfanView Support help forum, not about the Program.
                      An important feature is missing in the forum ? Then let us know here
                      Irfan doesn't own or run this forum and doesn't even visit AFAIK. He's probably got better things to do.

He's obviously had plenty of feedback about the icons and the interface for years, and the final decision to change the default icons is his. Clearly, he prefers to keep it as it is.

So, thread closed. Use one of the work-arounds in this thread to change the icons if they disturb you. Email Irfan if you want to send some feedback. See his home page for details, but read the FAQ first.
                      Q: What is the IrfanView icon, is this a bear or devil or something else?
                      A: This is a red CAT, a road cat. Note, I like cats, but this is a joke ;-)
                      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.11.2011, 10:18 AM.
                      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                      X