Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm...yeah...tracker files are a big association sore spot. One might have to do them all "by hand" to get individual icons set right. I've about given up trying to fix things after. At least IrfanView allows icon tweaking from outside.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Good point about the sensitivity in tracker files environment. I will monitor this.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by matera
        The benefit of having the icons changed by IrfanView from the former default is to know at a glance which files are associated with IV...
        I have a great sense of humor. A lot of things make me laugh. Not dead animals, though---sorry. I'm an animal rights activist, and I've seen many horrifying examples of animal abuse. And whether it's silly or not, that's what I think of when I see IV's red icon.

I know that many people like jokes about mutilating and killing animals. Even though most of them wouldn't actually do such things, I think they must be a bit sadistic, or at least juvenile, to consider such jokes funny.

I've read many, many other negative opinions on the Web about Irfan's icons. You'd think he'd finally get a clue and switch to something that more people were willing to see. But maybe he thinks it's funny to use the icons because so many people don't like them. Maybe it makes him feel powerful. Who knows?

If my friend tells a racist joke, should I laugh, even though the joke is against my values? After all, it takes only a few seconds to laugh, then it's over---until he tells the next joke.

I could change my icon associations, but I've decided I'd rather not use software---even great software like IV---if its author thinks something like a dead cat is funny. I don't need IV that much.

Comment

Well, an activist with a great sense of humour! Quite rare, so I was curious..
          But my sense of humour quickly vanished, being confronted with the demagogic use of heavy words like
          "abuse" - "mutilating" - "sadistic" - "juvenile (?)" - "racist" and the trick "something that more people were willing to see".
          A button isn't busy being 'funny' or not, it's just a button.
          This is about prejudice. Maybe this button is a protest against the car-drivers who don't care killing a cat?
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi,

i don´t think it´s a dead cat -> it´s a cat in 2d !

steve

Comment

Yeah... but what about the second icon that was posted earlier... the one with the tire tracks? .... LOL

Arden

Comment

Hi,

the second one has no tire tracks: I guess it´s a kind of wave: a cat is relaxing at the beach ...

steve

(Please guess, why i left out any similies )

Comment

A few years ago...

I requested a feature for differentiating icons for different formats JPG, GIF, PNG. I believe the icons plugin was the result.

While grateful for the plugin, this was not exactly what I had in mind. I was hoping for an easy way for users to choose icons for the various formats.

Here's a thought, expand the plugin to open a dialog box and add many more icons to it. Maybe allow user created icons to be added to a file for use by the plugin. Yes, this can be accomplished in Windows Explorer, but if you're looking at it that way, does the plugin really serve any purpose?

Just my two cents worth.
                  Last edited by Steven W; 01.01.2008, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Good points. I accomplish the differentiation with TC, and I have quite enough choice so far with the existing set.
                    Then I have also the choice to use a custom created icon if I want to.

And I don't fancy the set in 'icons.dll', but that's not important. But I think this plugin should be called like 'icons01.dll',
                    because it's just one particular set. The contents could be anything else.

The most easiest way for users to choose icons for the various formats would be an extension in the dialog of :
                    Extensions/Miscellaneous/Icon for the associations. As a first step.
                    An extra choice under 'Different icon for each format' called e.g. 'Choose format', with a list pulldown.
                    After selecting the format, then one of the 8 Standard icons can be enabled.

My priority as second step would be the selection of a single external ICO file per format, maybe just to indicate a rare one.
                    This, before being able to load a complete set in a library as DLL or ICL.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I do actually like the icons in the plugin, even though as stated above, it isn't what I had in mind. I noticed that the icons.dll file can be edited with XNResource Editor. If one were careful and just edited the icons that they used using XN's painting abilities and not disturbed the dll too much otherwise, one could create icons they desire. Perhaps if some wanted to share the files and a preview of the icons, these could be shared online.

This may not be advisable for the average user.
                      Last edited by Steven W; 01.01.2008, 05:37 PM.

Comment

So far, I've used ResHacker occasionally for replacing or re-ordering icons in an exe-file,
                        but this XNResource Editor looks very promising. Thanks for the tip, I will check it out.
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

XNResourceEditor seems like a good software. I've got quite a few of these resource editors, because only some correctly parse Delphi forms, visualize them, have Unicode, support Win3.11 NE programs etc.

ResHacker has proved invaluable in creation of Nero 6 lite version. I've also modified most common XP system libraries with classic Win98/2k icons.

Comment

Resource Editors

Yeah, these things rock! A while back I used XN to mod some WMP dlls to make some sites that at the time were "XP and WMP 10 only" work under win98.

I thinks we're getting a bit off-topic though

Comment

I've used Irfanview for a couple of years now, but until recently I never had the red cat show up as the icon for all of my directory files.

Now I can't get rid of them. Nothing I do removes this icon permanently.

Tools - Folder options... forget it!

View - etc -- forget it!

Folder options in control panel -- forget it!

Right click and click 'thumbnails' -- forget it!

Maddening.

Comment

In IrfanView, Properties, Exensions, and uncheck files that you don't wish to associate with IrfanView. Click the Miscellaneous button to change icons used by IrfanView. Reassoicate file types with other programs from Explorer if you wish to use that program's icon.
                                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                                X