Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want to say that this is exactly the plugin I have been looking for.

Irfanview is one of my favorite apps.
    I like the combination of a small & fast imageviewer & imagemanipulator.

All I miss is an image-optimiser like this & maybe some quick color correction tools like photoshops: "Set white-grey-black point".

Keep up the good work...

Comment

>>Well, until know I handled the benefit of the doubt, but :
      >>Quote:
      >> so the plugin can install itself in the menus, without the author's intervention.
      >> is really a bridge too far to me.
      >>Being flexible is one thing, a demand of being vulnerable is another thing.

I would say this is a misunderstanding.
      What he tried to say is that there are more general plugin interfaces in other programs which allow plugins to create an entry in the menu of the main application.

But the plugin interface is the decision of the author of the application. Irfanviews interface is restricted. There are advantages and disadvantages about this. The advantage is that Irfan has much more control how Irfanview will be used. And it's more difficult just to steal a plugin and use it in a different application.

Comment

Hi Lucian,

I just discovered and read this thread today. Your work seems very interesting to me. I find useful in some circumstances to be able to control the size of the file to be saved.

I only downloaded the standalone version, not the dll. I agree with Bhikkhu Pesala on the point that IrfanView's forum is not the right place to discuss about another program. But, as you are also working on a plug-in version for IrfanView, I wonder if the user interface will have the same aspect as RIOT.exe window.

If this is the case, than I have some remarks and suggestions, that came after having worked with your program for some minutes.

- When the window opens, there are problems with the display of the titles above the images (see capture 1).

- The problems also exists when an image is loaded (capture 2).

- I would have preferred buttons in a toolbar rather than buttons under the images and besides the image. This is more usual.

- When the window is maximized, it appears that much space is wasted at the bottom and at the right side of the images (capture 3). The two checkboxes (Grayscale, Progressive), could be included in a toolbar as push-on push-off buttons. The buttons at the right too (Open, Save as, About, Preview, Automatic). And maybe even the slider and the text box (%)?

- The steps in the slider are only 1%. It is OK when one clicks on the left/right arrows. I find it would be useful to have 10% steps when clicking beside the cursor.

- The underscore in the % textbox is disturbing and not useful.

- The filesizes expressed in bytes are sometimes long numbers and it would be much more easy to read them if they were formatted using options selected in Windows (capture 4).

- The ability to "Undo" would be very useful. To "Reload" the original image from disk too. Two more buttons in the toolbar :-)

- All actions available with the toolbar should be available from menus.

- The name of the file currently viewed should be displayed somewhere (maybe in the window title, like what many other programs do, including IrfanView :-)

- A keyboard shortcut to fit image to window (Ctrl-F) should be available too (not only to view 1:1 (Ctrl-H)).

I hope your plug-in will soon be available in IrfanView. Good Job Lucian.

Laurent
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Laurent; 01.05.2008, 11:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Oh, I forgot: Thank you Lucian

Comment

2 midora
            I admit my misunderstanding.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thank you 4eyes.

Hi Laurent,
              Thank you for you great suggestions.
              Some of them are already integrated before I was able to read this.

A new version is available at http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot . We are a step away from making Riot an IrfanView plugin. By testing riot.exe you can help creating a stable and useful IV plugin.

v0.1.2
              -added jpeg chroma subsampling support (none,low 4:2:2,medium 4:2:0,high 4:1:1)
              -added Dual view option in View menu (disabled shows only the optimized version)
              -added edit fields for jpeg quality, gif and png number of colors, removed jpeg quality mask edit
              -modified labels (image size is in the bottom displayed in bytes with separators, expressed in kilobytes also)
              -improved error handling
              -improved settings changed handling on Save
              -code cleanup

The problem from capture 2 persists in the current version?
              Good suggesion about the toolbar. I was thinking at the same thing. Future version will contain a toolbar.
              You will have a Ctrl+F shortcut for fit in window
              Good suggestion about the filename.
              RIOT developer
              visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

Hi everybody,

As you know, this section Program > Plugins and add-ons is dedicated to discussions about plug-ins for IrfanView. The announcement of a new plug-in based on RIOT seems very promising and interesting. But for the moment RIOT only exists as a stand-alone application and as a dll, not yet as a plug-in. For this reason I closed this thread and opened a new one in the appropriate Off-topic > Software section.

I encourage you to follow this link to read or discuss further about RIOT and continue to give feedback to Lucian.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Laurent

Comment

Working...
                X