Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, don't panic, nobody can write plugins without Irfan's permission and intervention...
    BTW: The plugin will be released by Irfan (if he wants, when he wants) not by me. On my website you may find updated versions.

If you want to see how it looks and test it use the standalone app.
    The plugin is a dynamic link library that contains a function called by IV. IV will send the image in DIB format.

The difference in using "Open with external editor" is that the external editor receives the filename as parameter and this plugin will receive the image from memory that Irfan internally uses. The external editor opens in fact the original file without knowing any modifications done already by IV to the image (ex: resample, effects, modify colors, write with Irfan Paint, etc)
    RIOT developer
    visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
      If you want to see how it looks and test it use the standalone app.
      If you want me to test it, then I need the plugin. I already have a standalone application that can do this.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I don't know what application you have, but if you want to see what will be displayed when you will run the RIOT plugin you can use Riot.exe
        What you can do with a DLL? You know c++?

You cannot test something that does not exist yet (a IV plugin). A beta DLL plugin for developers exists, though, but it does not work with IV yet.
        Please wait until me and Irfan will finish this job, then wait for a future release of Irfan View that has support for this plugin.

What you CAN test is in fact the exact dialog that the plugin will have by opening a file from your hard drive, not the part when IV can transfer images to it.

Do you understand now ?
        RIOT developer

Comment

What you can do with a DLL? You know c++?
          I'm sure the plugin interface will be standard (means it will not depend on c++).

Comment

I'm sure the plugin interface will be standard (means it will not depend on c++)
            What do you mean by that?
            An end user does not need to know about how programs work
            And yes, C++ is used from the programmer's point of view.

You are a programmer? You know how DLLs are called by programs?
            If not please don't post comments regarding programming languages.
            RIOT developer

Comment

Do you understand now ?
              All I know is that other plugins like Paint.dll, Pngout.dll, etc., work with IrfanView simply by installing them in the plugin folder. I did not need to know programming to test the IrfanPaint plugin while it was going through beta stage (it still is in development). When a new beta is released, I just download Paint.dll and update my copy. It works, and I can help to find bugs or suggest improvements.

I am not willing to help with the development of another standalone image program, which I do not need. However, if I can test it with IV and see how it will integrate into the program, then I will do some testing.

Do you understand now?

Please try to maintain a friendly attitude. We are not your enemies. Critical appraisal can also be very helpful for the developer.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

What do you mean by that?
                An end user does not need to know about how programs work
                And yes, C++ is used from the programmer's point of view.

You are a programmer? You know how DLLs are called by programs?
                If not please don't post comments regarding programming languages.
                You are a funny guy ;-)

I'm talking around 40 programming languages fluent. I developed my own ones including parser and compiler. I have written a minimum of fifty plugins for windows (for different applications).
                I know the plugin interface of Irfanview which is not quite flexibel because every new plugin needs a modification in Irfanview (but Irfan likes it in this way). I'm writing free software and I'm supporting others with my experience.

Your plugin maybe developed in c++ (I don't care) but the interface to Irfanview will be in a way that you can call it easily from other languages.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                  All I know is that other plugins like Paint.dll, Pngout.dll, etc., work with IrfanView simply by installing them in the plugin folder. I did not need to know programming to test the IrfanPaint plugin while it was going through beta stage (it still is in development). When a new beta is released, I just download Paint.dll and update my copy. It works, and I can help to find bugs or suggest improvements.
                  But remember in the beginning the was an inofficial release of Irfanview needed to use IrfanPaint. You will need a new IrfanView version for this new kind of plugin.

Comment

RIOT - may be a good plugin, but IrfanView is a (only) picture viewer

Hello Lucian Sabo,

I'm a german user of the great program IrfanView.
                    And in my opinion IrfanView should be mainly a program to view pictures!

Why don't you develop this plugin for PhotoFiltre?
                    This is a very good and free picture editor (with the possibility to add plugins)!

regards
                    Frank

Comment

All this irritation and nonsense : Duh
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Your plugin maybe developed in c++ (I don't care) but the interface to Irfanview will be in a way that you can call it easily from other languages.
                        Look, midora, this is not the place for discussing DLL calling conventions.
                        The DLL is compatible with C and any other programming language you may know, no worry.

All I know is that other plugins like Paint.dll, Pngout.dll, etc., work with IrfanView simply by installing them in the plugin folder. I did not need to know programming to test the IrfanPaint plugin
                        Bhikkhu Pesala does not understand that he cannot test my plugin yet from IV because only Irfan adds plugins and a new version of IV is required. And I don't know why he is woried that for using a plugin with a program from the user side of view, programming knowledge is required. This is a nonsense.
                        This plugin will have a friendly interface, just like any other software.

And in my opinion IrfanView should be mainly a program to view pictures!
                        A agree. But don't blame the plugins. The plugin architecture should be flexible, so the plugin can install itself in the menus, wihout the author's intervention. This way you can install only what you need and don't complain about too many plugins. Irfan View now puts links to all plugins in the main interface, that creates the swiss army knife effect you don't want.
                        IV is already in scope creep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scope_creep)
                        but this is not the fault of plugin developers. Plugins should be optional, but the program's interface uses them without beeing installed.

I will answer to suggestions, bug-reports, feature requests regarding my future plugin, but I will not comment any IV-related scope creep.
                        People that don't want other plugins or feel frustrated are free to discuss without me.
                        RIOT developer

Comment

I don't know why he is worried that for using a plugin with a program from the user side of view, programming knowledge is required. This is a nonsense.
                          Agreed. You are talking nonsense.

It looks like you will have develop this on your own without our feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                            All this irritation and nonsense : Duh
                            Agreed.

I suggest that we leave this thread open for now, but if there is any more bickering just close it.

Comment

>>Look, midora, this is not the place for discussing DLL calling conventions.
                              You started to talk about c++ ;-)

OK, but to be constructive...

As long as there is no adapted IrfanView version, it may be an idea to offer your plugin as a filter. This IV interface is more general and as far as I remember you are able to get the current DIB and the filename. And this is (how I understood) what you will get in an adapted IV version.

Comment

Well, until know I handled the benefit of the doubt, but :
                                so the plugin can install itself in the menus, without the author's intervention.
                                is really a bridge too far to me.
                                Being flexible is one thing, a demand of being vulnerable is another thing.

EDIT: (removed non-constructive remarks)
                                The filter-concept indeed could be done as an 'interim' format.
                                Last edited by Sam_Zen; 01.05.2008, 01:12 AM.
                                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                                X