No announcement yet.

Radical Image Optimization Tool (RIOT) by Lucian Sabo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tone mapping can make HDR images look better. And that's it.
    It does not apply to images with a bit depth lower than 32.

You should read more about tone mapping and HDR to understand what it is.

At the PNG tab : 'color quantization algorithm' is disabled. Is this the 'tone-mapping' part ?
    Color quantization is disabled because True Color is selected by default for PNG.
    Color quantization is a method to reduce colors used to obtain paletized images (<8 bit).
    Try choosing a preset (ex: Optimal 256 color palette), then color quantization will be enabled. Quantization is not applied for true color images.

with version 0.1.2 the file "Riot.dll" came along. The 0.1.3 package doesn't contain that file.
    Should I remove it, or what ?
    Yes, you can safely remove it. Riot.dll is the full version plugin for developers.
    Last edited by luciansabo; 10.05.2008, 09:23 AM.
    RIOT developer
    visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

You should read more about tone mapping and HDR to understand what it is.
      I did and got an idea about the concept. And I suspect my vintage system not being able to handle the HDR format.
      Color quantization is a method to reduce colors used to obtain paletized images (<8 bit).
      I should have known. This is cool.
      I will use this a lot, because, due to my work, I often have to publish pictures on the web.
      So I'm always searching for the smallest size still having the required quality.
      For example most screencaptures don't need 24Bpp. They can often do with 16 colors or so.
      With the PNG format this can be done more precisely than with JPG.
      RIOT is an excellent monitor during this kind of modification.

I've made RIOT an extenal editor within IV (Shift+E).
      Usually I start IV by activating an associated file.
      I don't expect RIOT to detect this file automatically after Shift+E, but at least the open-dialog starts in that file-dir. Nice.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I don't expect RIOT to detect this file automatically after Shift+E, but at least the open-dialog starts in that file-dir.
        I'm working on a new version that supports opening the file directly from IV's Shift+E, when set as 1st external editor.
        RIOT developer

Comment

stable candidate version 0.1.4

Hello,

I'm proud to announce the release of the first stable candidate (v. 0.1.4).
          Note that Irfan tested my lite plugin and is waiting for a stable version to include in the next version if IV.
          So, please test this release by finding any logical errors. Only bugfixes will be applied to this version, no new features will be added.
          Requests for new features will be taken into consideration for the next stable version.

Changelog:
          v.0.1.4
          -changed main icon
          -added "Compress to size" for JPEG, GIF and PNG
          -files can now be opened by passing them as command line parameters
          -some menu items (from View) were not disabled by default (fixed), and enabled when necessary
          -improved zoom: center images in scrollbox by default; when the image is moved, the zoom follows what's in the center point of the scrollbox.
          -after opening images are resized 1:1 now by default
          -improved Convert from non-standard type handling when fails
          -bugfix: size in KB was formatted wrong for decimals with leading zeros. ex: 99 bytes was formated 0.9 KB, not 0.09 KB. Fixed!
          -transparent files are now handled properly (8bit and 32bit supported) - works only on initialy transparent images.
          Does not work with quantization. Transparent images are displayed against a checkerboard background.

I remind you the official website: http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot and I am waiting for your feedback.
          The future RIOT plugin for IrfanView will not contain:
          -support for anything else than BMP, JPEG, GIF, PNG and DIBs in memory
          -tone mapping images with BPP > 32
          RIOT developer

Comment

Thanks for the nice work. I will monitor this and report if relevant.

Since Irfan is considering this option, it's becoming on the same level as IVPaint.
            So, if it becomes a plugin, I propose as a shortcut for this function : Shift+F12
            Last edited by Sam_Zen; 16.05.2008, 05:42 AM.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

There seems to be some basic problems with viewing images.

1. Newly loaded images are displayed offset with a margin. Fit to window might be better.

2. Zoom 1:1 prevents the image from being scrolled to the edges. The user can view only a portion of the image in its centre.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.09.2008, 07:18 AM.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

Thanks,
                It seems it's a small problem with the scrollbox range. Also I've noted the mouse scroll event is locked for zooming only. I should fix these bugs.

Forgot to mention in the changelog the new status bar with the zoom level. For transparent images the text "transparent" is displayed in the status bar.
                RIOT developer

Comment

The attached images are both transparent, but neither shows as transparent in Riot. They are less than full colour. Both get bigger and lose their transparency when saved with Riot.

There doesn't seem to be any option to add transparency if an image lacks it, which IV can do when saving.
                  Attached Files
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

Those images have 4 bits per pixel.
                    RIOT does not support 4 BPP image transparency, neither saving as 4 BPP yet. It can open such images, but it converts them to a minimum of 8 bits per pixel, as 8 bit is the minimum bit depth supported for saving now.
                    The filesize is larger because of 8 bit conversion.

There doesn't seem to be any option to add transparency if an image lacks it
                    As I wrote in the website, there is no support for choosing transparent color yet. Transparency is kept for 8 bit and 32 bit images already containing transparency information. Reducing colors of a transparent 8 bit image will lead to the loss of transparent information.

Here is a 32 bit PNG image with alpha transparency.
                    Attached Files
                    RIOT developer

Comment

new stable candidate release:

v0.1.5 (stable candidate #2)
                      -scrollboxes are now dragging areas. Image is not allowed to be dragged outside the dragging area.
                      Top left and bottom right points cannot pass the center point
                      -new Esc shortcut for exit
                      -Fit in window improvements, fixes
                      -minor code cleanup
                      -added link to official website in the menu and in the about box

Use dragging for moving the image inside the former scrollbox.
                      RIOT developer

Comment

Hi Lucian,

Nice work, again.

Due to the bigger font I use, there is still a minor problem in the display (see capture).

About dragging the images, as you can see on the capture too, it is possible to drag so much that margins do appear. I don't believe they are useful.
                        I also noticed that with a right click the mouse cursor becomes a four arrows, as if the image could be dragged, but in fact it can't (only left click enables to drag).
                        I wonder if it wouldn't be interesting to be able to move the image with the keyboard arrows and/or with horizontal and vertical cursors too.

Laurent
                        Attached Files
                        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Due to the bigger font I use, there is still a minor problem in the display (see capture).
                          I shall correct this.

it is possible to drag so much that margins do appear
                          Actually this is a feature. Dragging is allowed just to the middle of the dragging area. This help zooming what's in the center, not like other scrolling areas where you cannot zoom a corner. This way you can zoom easily every area of the image, including corners.

About moving the image with the arrow keys... I don't know if I should capture these keys since they are usefull for other controls (listboxes, scrollbars, etc).

I am working at a new version that will let you choose to remove or not metadata information. Currently all known metadata is kept.
                          Then a stable release will be made available to Irfan.

Future plans:
                          -jpeg smoothening support
                          -transparency choosing support
                          -crop tool
                          -basic image processing
                          -png multipass optimizer (similar to pngout)
                          -improved user interface
                          RIOT developer

Comment

Hi Lucian,

Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
                            Actually this is a feature. Dragging is allowed just to the middle of the dragging area. This help zooming what's in the center, not like other scrolling areas where you cannot zoom a corner. This way you can zoom easily every area of the image, including corners.
                            I understand this.

Some other points:
                            - The process might be a degradation of an image (decreasing color depth, using a large JPEG compression), so the title "Optimized image" is not necessarily the best one. Maybe something like "Processed image" or "Input image" / "Output image"?
                            - When RIOT opens, the two image windows have different sizes and remain with their sizes once an image is loaded. I would expect they have the same size and see the same part of the initial / optimized image.
                            - When I choose GIF output, the Color quantization algorithm box is not fully displayed. Is this a problem due to big font too?
                            - The tooltip displayed when the mouse is over a control disappears after 2 s. This is far too short for me to read some explanations. Is it possible they remain displayed as long as the mouse is over (and maybe a setting in the configuration to enable/disable tooltips)?
                            - The first shortcut in the View menu is not correctly aligned with te others.

- Not about RIOT (so a bit out of topic): As you can see in the capture, the names of the shortcuts for zooming are written in Dutch. I have the same problem with OpenOffice.org. I believe this is related to Windows language version. But I had ordered my new computer with a french version of Windows. I guess Dell installed a dutch version and modified some files so that it seems to be french, but they missed something. Do you know which file I should replace with the french version (on another PC I have a real french version).

Thanks.
                            Laurent
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Laurent; 24.05.2008, 10:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

ee

Lucian,

I just saw some other things:
                              - No need of a semicolon under the left image between size in B and size in kB.
                              - The official symbol ("Système International") for "kilo" is a "k" in lowercase.
                              - Strange behaviour when scrolling an image: when margins appear, the scroll happens to lock, as if the maximum scroll was reached, but when I release the button and try to scroll further it is still possible, but by very little steps (some pixels). Locks again, release the mouse, click and scroll again. I can't get the corner in the center of the window. As you wrote, this would be a problem for zooming the corners.

Laurent
                              Attached Files

Comment

The optimization process does not reffer to a quality tweak, but to a optimal filesize for the web. This is a common term: optimizing images for web.

- When RIOT opens, the two image windows have different sizes and remain with their sizes once an image is loaded. I would expect they have the same size and see the same part of the initial / optimized image.

- When I choose GIF output, the Color quantization algorithm box is not fully displayed. Is this a problem due to big font too?
                                I did not see this problem until now. They should be equal. It is caused by your 120 dpi setting. The is not fix for that. All your controls are bigger, and they cannot fit in that window.
                                The only thing I can do is maximize the window automatically for your font settings.

The tooltip displayed when the mouse is over a control disappears after 2 s
                                For me is ~4s. I will increase this to 7s

The first shortcut in the View menu is not correctly aligned with te others.
                                It is not alligned because it does not have an icon.

About your problem. I don't know exactly what is the file. It may be from your keyboard layout file. (KBDNE.DLL)
                                Try to install french keyboard layout from regional settings.
                                KBDFR.DLL French Keyboard Layout
                                KBDSF.DLL Swiss French Keyboard Layout
                                RIOT developer

Comment

Working...
                                X