No announcement yet.

Radical Image Optimization Tool (RIOT) by Lucian Sabo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The official symbol ("Système International") for "kilo" is a "k" in lowercase.
    You are right. It should be kB for kilobytes. kb is kilobits.

Strange behaviour when scrolling an image: when margins appear, the scroll happens to lock, as if the maximum scroll was reached,
    Sorry, but strange things can happen if the scrollareas are not equal. Maximize the window tben see if they are equal.
    RIOT developer
    visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
      You are right. It should be kB for kilobytes. kb is kilobits.
      Actually if you for kilobyte mean 1024 byte (as every program does) it should be KiB.
      IrfanPaint developer
      The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
      IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Hi Lucian,

Sorry, but strange things can happen if the scrollareas are not equal. Maximize the window tben see if they are equal.
        Just to test, I have restored the normal font (96 dpi). RIOT opens then with two images windows of equal size. Then I load an image. I noticed that the stange behaviour has nothing to do with font size or scrollareas.

1. I drag the image right until there is a left magin having half the width of the scrollareas. Then it is not possible to drag the image vertically, except by some pixels at a time (click mouse, drag a bit, release mouse ans so on).

2. Same behaviour when RIOT is maximized.

3. If RIOT is maximized and if I drag the image carefully so that is is in lower right quarter of the scrollareas, then when I restore the original size of the application, the image is totally outside of the scrollareas.

4. Right click of the mouse has no effect. But when I right click on the image it becomes a double arrow. If moreover I release the button outside the image it remains so.

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

it should be KiB.
          I sincerely never heard of this kibibyte until now. As I learned in school and as everyone uses, the common abbreviation for 1024 bytes is KB.

After furher readings:
          1024 bytes: This definition is used when expressing quantities which are based on powers of two, such as memory chip capacities. Most software also uses it to express storage capacity. This definition has been expressly forbidden by the SI standard[1] and other standards organisations. To indicate a quantity of 1024 bytes, the term kibibyte (KiB) has been recommended instead.[2][3] This term is starting to be adopted by some software, such as a few BitTorrent clients and the Linux kernel.

So MItaly is right. I will chage to KiB, but I will still use the word kilobyte to reffer 1024 bytes as I am used to.

1. I drag the image right until there is a left magin having half the width of the scrollareas. Then it is not possible to drag the image vertically, except by some pixels at a time (click mouse, drag a bit, release mouse ans so on).
          You can easily drag the image moving the mouse vertically or a bit towards left in this situation. Your problem happends probably because you don't drag it vertically and towards right you hit the limitation.

3. If RIOT is maximized and if I drag the image carefully so that is is in lower right quarter of the scrollareas, then when I restore the original size of the application, the image is totally outside of the scrollareas.
          I know about this problem and I fixed this by applying Fit to window on form resize.

A number of small fixes were made based on your suggestions. Thank you very much for you great help.
          I will release a next version in 1-2 days.
          RIOT developer

Comment

Hi Lucian,

I just read the article on Wikipedia. As I understood, either you divide the number of bytes by 1000 and the unit is named "kilobyte" with symbol kB, or you divide by 1024 and the unit is named "kibibyte" with symbol KiB.
            My preference is 1024 (more usual), but are there many people who know and will understand "KiB" and "kibi"?

About scrolling, I think it is not normal to have to slightly move the image in one direction towards center to be able to scroll it in the perpendicular direction. This is not user-friendly. You wanted to make zooming more easy, but the consequence is that scrolling is more difficult (and less intuitive).

What about a zoom with the mouse wheel (or +/- keys) that holds the pixel under the mouse cursor at its position in the scrollarea? If the zone of interest goes outside, it is easy to bring it back with the mouse. And no need to be able to drag the corner of the image towards the center of the scrollarea

Laurent
            Last edited by Laurent; 25.05.2008, 12:58 PM. Reason: Spelling (kibi instead of kiki :-)

Comment

either you divide the number of bytes by 1000 and the unit is named "kilobyte" with symbol kB, or you divide by 1024 and the unit is named "kibibyte" with symbol KiB.
              Let's clear things out. I respect IEC recomendation, but in computing everyone that went to school learned that 1 byte has 8 bits. 1024 bytes is 1 kilobyte (short kB or KB). 1000 bytes is not 1 KB in computing. This confusion is made by people that did not learned in school or read it elsewhere. Anyhow is normal te clear out this confusion because kilo is for every unit 1000, not 1024 so is correct to change his name, but too late I think. Everyone uses kilobytes to refer 1024 bytes and this kibi-bibi or what it's name will not catch I think.
              Most applications display KB not kiB.
              Anyhow I will use KiB for now, but if confuses people, I will change it back to kB.

I think it is not normal to have to slightly move the image in one direction towards center to be able to scroll it in the perpendicular direction.
              I really don't have problems dragging the image. You just have to drag it exactly vertically in your case not towards left or right. But I will try to improve it because some users may find it annoying.
              RIOT developer

Comment

What about a zoom with the mouse wheel (or +/- keys) that holds the pixel under the mouse cursor at its position in the scrollarea?

Zooming with mousescroll is already supported. Keep Ctrl key pressed and scroll the mosue wheel.
                +/- keys are already supported for zoom.
                Zooming already keeps the position of the point of interest (center point).
                RIOT developer

Comment

Keeping the pixel under the mouse cursor in the same place while zooming is very useful. IrfanView doesn't quite succeed in doing this. Serif PagePlus does it very well.

It is also worth implementing a modifier such as Shift + Scroll-wheel to scroll horizontally.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 25.05.2008, 06:40 PM.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Lucian,

I really don't have problems dragging the image. You just have to drag it exactly vertically in your case not towards left or right. But I will try to improve it because some users may find it annoying.
                    I believe the problem may be that I am scrolling in a particular way. If I want to drag the upper left corner towards the center of the scrollarea and if the image has already benn dragged to the as much possible to the left, then I try to drag it down and slightly to the left so that it remains to the left as it was before.

Laurent

Comment

Lucian,

Zooming with mousescroll is already supported. Keep Ctrl key pressed and scroll the mosue wheel.
                      +/- keys are already supported for zoom.
                      Zooming already keeps the position of the point of interest (center point).
                      Thanks for the tip. I didn't know or I forgot to press Ctrl.

On my laptop, the usual +/- keys don't work, only their equivalent on a numeric keypad (I have to hit Fn= for '+' and FnM for '-'). It would be nice if both worked.

The point of interest is not always the center of the scrollarea. The interest of the programmer may differ from the interest of the user

Laurent

Comment

I agree with Lucian from a practical point of view about using the 'KiB' string. It's just too late for that.
                        What's left is the educational side, to tell people that Kilo means 1000 if meters, but on a PC it means 1024 as unit.
                        Due to the structure of powers of 2. So not a decimal-based structure.
                        If users would know about the binary base of things, they would understand the default range of used colors in a bitmap.

I think 'Compress to size' is a nice option, because on forums there are often restrictions about filesize, e.g. avatars.
                        I have a luxury request : A transferred filename to the 'Save as' dialog.
                        Last edited by Sam_Zen; 26.05.2008, 01:41 AM.
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

The point of interest is not always the center of the scrollarea. The interest of the programmer may differ from the interest of the user
                          I don't look this from the programmer's side. The center point usually is what you want to see. So to scroll to a certain point you just have to drag the image to put that point in the middle. I avoid making zoom's default behaviour zoom to mouse point insteaf of zoom to center point, because users may put the mouse accidentally over the image in different points and wonder why zooming is so strange.
                          It's hard to move into center what you want to zoom? I don't think so.
                          I came out with an ideea to improve dragging. I will work on it today

I have a luxury request : A transferred filename to the 'Save as' dialog.
                          I don't understand.
                          RIOT developer

Comment

I don't understand.
                            If I open a file named "Scanner.png" in IrfanView and click the SaveAs.. icon the filename is already in the dialogue box, so it will be saved as "Scanner.jpg", "Scanner.gif", etc., — I don't need to type in the filename unless I wish to change it. I wouldn't regard this as luxury, but as a basic feature. It is much more efficient since more often than not, when converting files I wish to retain the file name. Even when resizing files, I wish to append to the original filename, e.g. Scanner Small.png.

Having the filename already in the dialogue field saves time and reduces errors. Of course, it also introduces the possibility that some users will overwrite their original files with the resized one, so a warning dialogue is needed on overwriting files of the same name. I suspect that you already have that.
                            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.05.2008, 04:04 PM.
                            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Sam_Zen,

I believe it is indeed something very useful to have the original filename as the default Save as filename (except the extension of course).

Laurent

Comment

Of course.
                                Sure there is the danger of overwriting the original, but I have the habit of adding e.g. a 's' trailing the existing filename.
                                If that danger exists. As indication of a small version. It still saves typing again the full filename.

Afterwards, one can judge if the new version is ok, remove the original, and then remove the 's' again of the new file.
                                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                                X