• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radical Image Optimization Tool (RIOT) by Lucian Sabo

Thank you 4eyes.

Hi Laurent,
    Thank you for you great suggestions.
    Some of them are already integrated before I was able to read this.

A new version is available at http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot . We are a step away from making Riot an IrfanView plugin. By testing riot.exe you can help creating a stable and useful IV plugin.

v0.1.2
    -added jpeg chroma subsampling support (none,low 4:2:2,medium 4:2:0,high 4:1:1)
    -added Dual view option in View menu (disabled shows only the optimized version)
    -added edit fields for jpeg quality, gif and png number of colors, removed jpeg quality mask edit
    -modified labels (image size is in the bottom displayed in bytes with separators, expressed in kilobytes also)
    -improved error handling
    -improved settings changed handling on Save
    -code cleanup

The problem from capture 2 persists in the current version?
    Good suggesion about the toolbar. I was thinking at the same thing. Future version will contain a toolbar.
    You will have a Ctrl+F shortcut for fit in window
    Good suggestion about the filename.
    RIOT developer
    visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Radical Image Optimization Tool (RIOT) by Lucian Sabo

Lucian Sabo has submitted his Radical Image Optimization Tool (RIOT), with the possibility that in the future it becomes a plug-in for IrfanView. It is now available only as a standalone program and as a dll, so this section Off-topic > Software in the IrfanView forum is the best place to continue the discussion for interested persons.

Follow this link to go to the original thread. You'll find a description of the program and a link to the official website for RIOT.

When a plug-in for IrfanView becomes available, a new thread will be created in the Program > Plugins and add-ons section.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

This looks like the right way for development. I will report my experiences.

I've updated riot.exe to v0.1.2. I assigned it in IV as external editor via Shift+E.
      So I opened a bitmap with IV and used the command.
      Although the right directory-environment was detected, the relevant bitmap wasn't immediately shown in the opened dialog.
      I had to select it a second time in the 'open frame.

In this standalone app I noticed some elements which are of course valid for a standalone, like 'mirror', 'flip' etc.,
      but are not necessary needed if this app is used as a plugin for IV.
      Because then, those functions already are available, so the plugin could be trimmed to the specific optimization functions.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

the relevant bitmap wasn't immediately shown in the opened dialog.
        RIOT (0.1.2) currently does not support command line parameters. So it will not function as an external editor. Future version will contain support for command line parameters.

Because then, those functions already are available, so the plugin could be trimmed to the specific optimization functions.
        Unfortunatelly for those that don't want enhanced functionality, all functions that I will consider relevant for the optimization task will become part of RIOT (part of them of the Lite plugin).

Usually users want more functions, not strip ones that are present.

Even if IV has flip, rotate, these are common and useful tools and it will remain there. Look this as an extension, not as a component that has the functions IV has not.
        In fact PNGOut saves PNGs independently and does a good job. You noticed that IV already saves PNGs... but pngout is not using any of IV components ?
        RIOT developer

Comment

You've got some points there.
          IVPaint also has an add-text fuction, while the basic IV has something like that already.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi Lucian,

As you see on the capture below, there is still an overlap problem with the file name. The error message appeared when I tried to open a PNG file crated with IrfanView. It opens normally in other programs. Not all PNGs raise an error, but I am unable to say which ones do.

Laurent
            Attached Files

Comment

It seems that you are using a large font DPI (120 DPI). This causes the fonts to enlarge. and that's why labels are overlapped. With 96 DPI settings the text fits.
              You can change the DPI from Control Panel. Your setting is unusual and may cause other text-fit problems with other applications designed for 96 DPI.
              By resizing/maximizing the window the labels will be set apart.

It seems you are trying to open a 48 bit image. I did not tested this format. Though RIOT can open 48 bit PNG images I must test the handling of such format.
              Another PNG feature that is not handled yet is 16 bit grayscale. RIOT opens, but cannot save such files.

later edit: I confirm that RIOT has a problem with handling 48 bit images.
              I will investigate this problem.
              Last edited by luciansabo; 07.05.2008, 08:24 AM.
              RIOT developer

Comment

Hi Lucian,

For the 120 dpi font, you are right. I use it because at 96 dpi text is difficult to read on the screen (15,4" @ 1680 x 1050). I don't see the same problem with other programs, only with web pages (browser also configured to use a font bigger than the default one).

For the PNG, it was created with IrfanView from a BMP. IrfanView says it is a 24 bpp, not a 48 bpp. See attachment.

Laurent
                Attached Files

Comment

No, in fact this is a 48 bit image.
                  From Irfan View's properties:
                  Original colors: 16,7 Millions (48 BitsPerPixel)
                  Current colors: 16,7 Millions (24 BitsPerPixel)

IV actually works with 24 bit DIBs. The 48 bit image is transparently converted to 24 bits per pixel.

I don't see the same problem with other programs,
                  You may see this king of problems in programs where labels are near, and they are positioned absolute or relatively to window size.
                  To make it display properly with 120 DPI:
                  1. I can make font size smaller (difficult to read for the vast majority of users - that use 96 dpi screen font)
                  2. I can make the window bigger, but those with 800x600 will have problems
                  3. I can reposition the labels, move them a line bellow "Initial image" and "Optimized image"
                  RIOT developer

Comment

Hi Lucian,

You are absolutely right: it is a 48 bpp image. I didn't look at first at the image properties, only at the display in the status bar in IrfanView. I don't know what I may have done to get this.

For the fontsize problem, I agree that points 1 and 2 aren't acceptable solutions.

Laurent

Comment

A new version is avaible (0.1.3) that adds support for non-standard type images.

Changelog:
                      v.0.1.3
                      -fixed some memory leaks when opening new files
                      -added support for non standard type images (up to 128 BPP, integer and floating point. EX: hdr images, 16 bit grayscale, etc)
                      -added tone mapping option for BPP >= 48 bit. An Adaptive logarithmic mapping algorithm is used (Drago'2003)
                      -the opened filename is shown in the title bar now. For DIBs in memory a special message is shown
                      -added Ctrl + F shortcut for Fit in window
                      -decreased top label sizes for 120 DPI setting compatibility
                      -added HDR image type to the open dialog
                      -hottrack type page control (provides visual feedback when mouse is over tab)

High bit depths images can be HDR images, but it's not a rule.
                      For example your 48 bit PNG is not a HDR image.

high dynamic range imaging (HDRI) is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of exposures (the range of values between light and dark areas) than normal digital imaging techniques.
                      To produce a high dynamic range image a set of photographs taken with a range of exposures is used.

Information stored in high dynamic range images usually corresponds to the physical values of luminance or radiance that can be observed in the real world. This is different from traditional digital images, which represent colors that should appear on a monitor or a paper print.

This composite technique is different from (and may be of lesser or greater quality than) the production of an image from a single exposure of a sensor that has a native high dynamic range.

One problem with HDR has always been in viewing the images. Mundane CRTs, LCDs, prints, and other methods of displaying images only have a limited dynamic range. Thus various methods of converting HDR images into a viewable format have been developed, generally called "tone mapping".
                      For HDR images, RIOT can apply a tone mapping algorithm that will produce nice results. For example IV and most programs don't have such tone mapping capabilities.

I am attaching a PNG 48 bit hdr image.
                      Riot Lite will not contain tone mapping support.
                      Attached Files
                      RIOT developer

Comment

sample 96 bit HDR images
                        RIOT developer

Comment

Riot Lite ?
                          Well, this one is quite light indeed.
                          I opened "no_tonemapping.jpg" - nothing changed - nothing could be optimised.

EDIT: Although I must admit that "with_tonemapping.jpg" is an excellent result.
                          Last edited by Sam_Zen; 09.05.2008, 01:13 AM.
                          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

RIOT Lite will be in fact the future IV plugin. It will contain reduced functionality of the full version.
                            Striipped functions are:
                            -opening many graphics formats
                            -tone mapping

You said nothing happend with no_tonemapping.jpg
                            What you expected to happen'?
                            no_tonemapping.jpg and with_tonemapping.jpg are samples to show you the differnce between applying tonemapping and not applying it.
                            By opening no_tonemapping.jpg you get a common jpeg file that you can optimize just like another jpeg file.

PS: I'm working at v. 0.1.4 with improved zoom function and some other fixes.

What do you think are the must have features for v.0.2 ?
                            RIOT developer

Comment

RIOT Lite will be in fact the future IV plugin.
                              I see.
                              By opening no_tonemapping.jpg you get a common jpeg file that you can optimize just like another jpeg file.
                              And that's the thing, just opening a common 24bpp JPG, then I get in both views the same, and I can't find any tool for optimization.
                              Apart from filesize. But maybe I expected that tone-mapping.
                              At the PNG tab : 'color quantization algorithm' is disabled. Is this the 'tone-mapping' part ?

A practical question : with version 0.1.2 the file "Riot.dll" came along. The 0.1.3 package doesn't contain that file.
                              Should I remove it, or what ?

The addition of the preview, with the dimension-values, in the open-dialog is very nice.
                              I'll have to do more practice with the app, before having any sensible request for v.0.2.
                              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                              X