How do I Make a Picture Smaller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I Make a Picture Smaller?

Hello all. As my name indicates I'm a tech newbie. I downloaded Irfanview so I'd be able to post some pictures that were too large to be posted. I've downloaded the software and now I have no idea what to do with it lol. How do I use this to make my pictures smaller so that they may be posted? Sorry if I sound like the dumbest person on the planet lol. I'd appreciate some help.
    -technewbie

You're not, per definition. The dumbest person wouldn't have been able to post this message in the first place.

It seems like you apologize for being a tech newbie. I would say : Don't cherish that role, but try to improve your knowledge.
    Learn about pixels, image resolution types, different file-extensions and their consequences.
    I you simply open a graphic file with IrfanView, you already get a lot of technical information about the image, with hitting "I".
    Then you can give better details when asking a question. In this case :
    What kind of pictures, and what was too big ?

To make pictures smaller, IV has several methods. I will ignore all kinds of tricks to keep up quality for the moment.
    Making pictures smaller can be done with the IV-function 'Resize/Resample'. Via the 'Image' pull-down menu or "Ctrl+R".

~ As you will see, there are several ways to the result.
    One has a choice to use percentages, pixel-values for width and height, bluntly doing 'half' or 'double', or standard sizes.

~ Most of the time it is better to have the option 'Preserve aspect ratio' enabled.

~ Since the result will be different from the original, often it will be better, to avoid overwriting the big original,
    after the resizing, to use the 'save as' dialog, to save that result by changing the filename f.e. as 'photo12_small.jpg'.

~ The first thing to keep up quality is enabling at 'Size method' the 'Resample' option.
    Ignore the seduction of doing the process somewhat faster by disabling that.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

1. Read the Help file.

2. Open an image.

3. Click on the "Image" menu and select "Resize/Resample"

4. In the resize dialog window, note what the current size is in pixels -- Width and Height.

5. Make sure the "Preserve aspect ratio" box is checked. This will ensure that the proportions don't change (your pic won't get a squeezed look from resizing in only one dimension).

6. Now you either type in a new width or height, or hit the "Half" button, or use one of the preset sizes, and then click "OK"

7. If the new size is what you wanted, click on the "File" menu and choose "Save as"

8. Choose your format with the drop-down. Usually JPG is what you want. Make sure the "Show options dialog" at the bottom of the Save window is checked.

This gives you the JPG options dialog (surprise! ) and here you determine image quality -- 75 is prob OK for posting. All the little boxes can be unchecked.

9. Give the new pic a name, like Same_name_smaller or such. Make sure that it is going to be saved where you want it and can find it again, and Click "Save"

If it isn't the size you expected the first time, just hit Redo (Ctrl + Z for greatest efficiency) and try again.

Never just save, unless you have a backup of the original. You can not restore a shrunken image to original size once it has been saved.

whew
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Thanks to you both!

Thank you both for taking the time out to give me an assist! I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
        X