Can't view wmf thumbnails in Picture file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't view wmf thumbnails in Picture file

I installed IrfanView and set it as my default viewer. When I try to insert pictures into an MS Publisher (2003) document, I don't get a thumbnail for any of my wmf files. I can view all of the wmf files if I use IrfanView directly, but I really need to see them in MS Publisher because I am a teacher, and I make all of my worksheets for the kids in this program. (I don't know if this is important, but I have an HP Pavillion computer that is running Vista servicepack 1.)
    Last edited by riley.science@yahoo.com; 06.07.2008, 07:44 PM.

I am guessing that MS Publisher can normally view WMF files if IrfanView is not installed?

Try going to the Options menu in IrfanView, Properties, Extensions, and clear the checkbox beside WMF and EMF file types.

Perhaps MS Publisher is using the Windows Picture and Fax viewer to preview these file types, and it doesn't know how to use IrfanView.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I think that this may be related to the MIME types specified in the file association that may have been lost in the association to IV, but actually I'm not on my Windows machine so I cannot confirm this and tell you how to fix the problem.
      IrfanPaint developer
      The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
      IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Hi riley.science@yahoo.com,

Originally posted by riley.science@yahoo.com View Post
        I installed IrfanView and set it as my default viewer.
        Do you mean that you associated all image formats with IV?

When I try to insert pictures into an MS Publisher (2003) document, I don't get a thumbnail for any of my wmf files.
        Do you mean that MS Publisher doesn't display thumbnails? In this case, what are you expecting IrfanView to do? As far as I know, IrfanView isn't supposed to allow third party applications to display thumbnails for this or that image formats.

I can view all of the wmf files if I use IrfanView directly, but I really need to see them in MS Publisher because I am a teacher, and I make all of my worksheets for the kids in this program. (I don't know if this is important, but I have an HP Pavillion computer that is running Vista servicepack 1.)
        I don't understand why your problem is related to IrfanView. If MS Publisher doesn't allow you to see WMF images, why do you believe IrfanView is involved in that problem?

Maybe MS publisher can import WMF files if proper MS Publisher's import filter has been installed.

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          I am guessing that MS Publisher can normally view WMF files if IrfanView is not installed?

Try going to the Options menu in IrfanView, Properties, Extensions, and clear the checkbox beside WMF and EMF file types.

Perhaps MS Publisher is using the Windows Picture and Fax viewer to preview these file types, and it doesn't know how to use IrfanView.

Publisher used to be able to view wmf and emf files, but when I installed it on my new computer (which came with Windows Vista) it suddenly lost that ability. From what I've been able to find in my research on the internet, wmf files were some sort of weakness in the Windows securtity. Additional research led me to the IrfanView program which was said to alleviate this problem. (This program can be used to this end?)

I tried unchecking those boxes you mentioned, but the old icon for Paint just came up. Still can't see the pictures contained. I'd greatly appreciate any other suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Now we have it, the problem is not IrfanView, it's Vista. Microsoft is fscking insane. In Winsows98, WMF crashes the whole system because of a memory leak. They fixed that very well in XP, and then for Vista they go all nanny and disable WMF viewing because their own stupid image format is insecure. Ugh.

It might be possible to convert the WMFs to something usable that can be viewed, but that would lose the unique functionality of the format, its ability to stretch to any size without loss of clarity.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by riley.science@yahoo.com View Post
              Publisher used to be able to view wmf and emf files, but when I installed it on my new computer (which came with Windows Vista) it suddenly lost that ability.
              You might want to try PagePlus X2 instead. This, and the latest version. X3 are Vista compatible.

The media bar lets you view a folder of images (including WMF) and dag and drop easily to your document.
              Attached Files
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It appears this thread isn't related to a problem with IrfanView but with other programs. I move it to Off-Topic / Software forum.
                Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Working...
                X