Additional forum(s) suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Additional forum(s) suggestion

I was thinking that it would be nice to have a "tips and tricks" forum where we could post our helpful hints and odd workarounds. Instead of waiting for questions, build up a reservoir of useful information.

Another entertaining idea - a bragging place for cool things that we have done using IrfanView either alone or as the main tool.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Very nice ideas.
    Because my preference is always to have a survey of the main things of a forum in one look, this would mean adding another
    forum in the list, so I first checked : Could this be relevant within an already existing forum ? I don't think so.

During this check I noticed that the content of the forum with 'Skins' easily could be integrated with 'Plugins and Add- Ons'

On another site I'm working with, the place for helpful hints and odd workarounds is part of a forum called "Technical Documents".
    So it can contain tips and tricks and also useful data to work with, like files with information about graphic formats.
    I did made webpages about such tips and tricks with IV already before I found this forum, mainly concerning decreasing
    size without loosing quality.

The result of 'what we've done with Irfan View' category could be called the 'Gallery'.
    Forum like, it could be a place, like with audio, where people reply with a review, to an opportunity to comment on the outcome,
    or ask "how did you do this".
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

One forum I really miss is that for LINUX users! Believe it or not, IV is the only thing keeping Window$ on my PC. It has got so much so right that the myriad other viewers are, to me, a pain!
      Obviously, you have no particular interest in reprogramming, but I would have thought that someone in the strong Linux community in Germany would have, particularly if you were open to cooperation and the source code were available.
      LINUX is becoming seriously user-friendly, and appearing on new desktops at an increasing rate.
      Any comments?
      Iddly
      Last edited by Iddly; 16.10.2007, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I guess this is more an OS request of the app than a forum matter.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks Sam Zen. Quite agree but found no such forum - searching 'OS' gives 'string less than 3 characters'! Any suggestions? Eerily, searching for 'LINUX', I found a virtually identical request, also dated yesterday from 'Tommy in Scotland' in the 'features requests forum. Maybe I should go there?

Comment

A search on this forum with 3 characters as keyword just doesn't work. But placing this in the Support or the Request section as a new topic would be sufficient.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi,

for using IrfanView under Linux you can emulate it with e.g. wine.

Just try that out -> at the moment there are no plans to support other operating systems beside windows -> so i see no neccessary need to create a forum for only linux ...

But i´m going to write an email to Irfan, maybe he can release a small version for linux users (notice: every plugin, e.g. the media player must be re- written, because it uses mostly mci ...)

steve

Comment

IrfanPaint

I would like to see that IrfanPaint gets its own forum instead of using a single long thread in "Plugins and Addons". Also I do not know why this thread is marked as important.
                I like to be able to read news in forums. If a forum is dominated by one thread it should get its own forum.

Comment

I agree about IrfanPaint having its own forum.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi,

Matteo(developer of IrfanPaint) and I find an extra forum not really neccessary (at the moment). Let´s see how many people are interested in the main thread

steve

Comment

Fair enough
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

IV on LINUX

Hi Steve, thanks for the comment but I already use WINE/CROSSOVER on SUSE/XANDROS. It works, but loses much in translation! (decidedly slow, cannot open several marked files at once etc.). What I want is a LINUX-native IV. From your reply I understand that this is less than straightforward. I would seem to be a problem for the LINUX community rather than you, but it must need your blessing and possibly a push from you.

About a forum for LINUX users, I am following four almost identical threads (beside this, where I should not be!):

a bit messy (it's how I landed up here to start with), so a bit of consolidation might be in order?

Comment

Working...
                        X