No announcement yet.

Look Inside Zip Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to support the request for viewing inside ZIP archives. It would be very nice to be able to see pictures in ZIP the same way as it is now for multi-page DJVU and TIFF images. The reason for the request - it's easier (for me and for hard disk ) to keep several big archives than thousands of small pictures. Don't need any thumbnails or other extra features. Just first/prev/next/last image. Thank you.

Comment

Read files from a Zip or similar file, CBR

It's possible to implement a pluging to read from a packed file like zip or similar like cd display to read comics more fast and efficient.

I discover this programa many years ago and i love it so much, i try to made a plug in but i can't do it because i don't have time to made it.

Thanks and i whait reply.

PD sorry for my bad english

Comment

Any chance?

I've been using Irfanview for years and I would love to have this format supported. This has been requested 3 years ago (other threads: 1 2 3), but attracted a kind of hate that I just don't understand.

CBR and CBZ files (Comic Book RAR, Comic Book ZIP) are widespread for saving photosets, mangas and such. There are other extensions for other archive formats (CBW, CB7, ...) but I haven't seen those in the wild. The argument could be made that the extension should just be .jpg.zip instead of .cbz etcetera, but this is moot because it is an introduced file format and people aren't gonna rename all their files. Other file formats (WOFF, XPI, JAR, ...) are also nothing but ZIPs with a special filename, and it still makes sense to give them their own extension because they serve a specific purpose, have specific structure and semantics, and are to be opened by default by specific programs, not a generic archive utility.

If Irfanview isn't for viewing multipage images, how come it supports PDF, multipage TIFF, DJVU? So archive support is not even a new feature UI-wise, it wouldn't clutter anything.

CDisplayEx uses the 7zip library that can handle all common archive formats. RAR licensing is not an issue for readonly access AFAIK.

The reason for using archives is not compression. In fact I don't compress PNGs and JPGs when I put them into archives ("Store" option in WinRAR), and I don't understand people who do because:
        * it slows down everything
        * the space images take up on a harddisk is negligible in comparison to movies
        * and if your images compress better than 99%, either you should optimize them, or you're using an obsolete image format like BMP.

I use archives because
        * having many files in a directory slows down Windows and makes them less manageable
        * I don't want every single image file of a set or comic book to be indexed and thumbnailed by Windows and desktop search tools
        * CBR, CBZ, ZIP, RAR is how I get them via email or download, tearing them apart would be an extra step
        * for integrity. I wouldn't store an ebook as single pages either. One document, one file.

Archives can even be safer, i.e. more corruption resilient than plain files when you add a recovery record.

There are other viewers: CDisplayEx (mentioned above), MangaMeeya, ComicRack. But they feel clunky or bloated and use strange hotkeys that I'll never remember. I'd prefer to just use Irfan for all image formats because i<3iRFAN!

Comment

+1 for archive support (even if only ZIP)

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
          You hardly get any benefit zipping jpg's. Sometimes they even grow bigger.
          They grow when no compression/fastest method of compression/is used.
          Sometimes you have to chose where you want to lose space: MFT/allocation of files (cluster size). I lose +3kb (3759 bytes) in this example and I'm using 4096 (4kb) allocation size on my HDD because smaller allocation size = bigger MFT space allocation. So, all 4kb+1 bytes files are using 2x4kb space. It's now easy to see that more files in archive = less used space on HDD. And how one bytes makes the difference. Usefull when you don't need to access the files everyday/burning in CD/DVD's etc as backup. And a little smaller benefit is faster copy of entire image collection (archive) from media support due to less head seeks. Anyway, for ComicBooks it's best to try archive them (fastest with TotalCommander, better with 7Zip [deflate method] and also try the WinRAR method [as RAR archive] due to benefits of solid archiving) and for non 7Zip archives optimise them with advzip (ADVANCE comp) and DeflOpt
          Attached Files
          Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real,
          doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...

··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··
          ·· · ·M· · ·I· · ·D· · ·I· · ·· ·· ·M· · ·A· · ·N· · ·I· · ·A· · ·C· · ·S· · ··
          ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··

Comment

Four years of the request... Still needed... Probably never gonna happen

Comment

I'd love to see this feature in IrfanView.
              It would be really handy.

Comment

Req - CBR/CBZ support

Since (I think) the unrar dll is free... can Irfanview be made to "understand" CBR/CBZ comic book format?

So it can open the comic book archives and display the pictures inside, forward and back move inside that CBR archive for turning the pages, etc..

Even if it had to be a compromise - a behind-the-scene unpack to temp folder then viewing of them and auto-delete when the CBR archive is closed (or the next one opened).

That would be brilliant!

Better still to do what the comic book readers do, unpack in memory and view.

(Sorry - I should have looked and seen this zip/.rar request thread)

Still a valid request - and i see it's been going since 2010, 2012... and not response?
                Last edited by Casey; 16.11.2016, 09:37 PM.

Comment

From the age of this request it doesn't seem like a high priority. I am sure that Irfan Skiljan knows about it.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I would suggest using SumatraPDF to reading multipage documents.
                    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintdriver View Post
                      I would suggest using SumatraPDF to reading multipage documents.
                      I use CDisplayEx for comic archives... but it would be nice to have as few single-use programs as possible.

If IV could do it then CDEx can get booted..

Comment

Can this be an issue of file type association?

If you know what you're doing, it's pretty easy to change file associations. I can help with that.
                        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.01.2017, 06:26 AM. Reason: fixed typos
                        If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

Working...
                        X