Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I changed my mind about the icons.

There will be a toolbar in the top (bellow main menu).
    In this toolbar we will have open, save as and some others. Aligned right it will be the preview button (64x64px icon).

In the center zoom buttons and in-place compare.

The buttons from the right side will be removed.

In the left there will be a toolbar with some useful tools (select, pan, bucket fill)

I am attaching icons for preview and in-place compare
    Attached Files
    Last edited by luciansabo; 28.10.2008, 11:11 AM.
    RIOT developer
    visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
      Adding frames isn't an objective of this program.
      We should avoid a feature creep.
      You're quite right! RIOT doesn't need extraneous features that you can find elsewhere.

Skippybox: I cannot reproduce your error. I don't understand your explanations.
      Sorry, if I wasn't clear. I'm not sure what you didn't understand. I must agree it is difficult to reproduce the error on demand. I have made some more observations.

Comment

Hello luciansabo,

I saw your last attached icons!

The icon for preview is excellent and understandable!
        It would be very useful for the function mode of the preview button:
        • if I must click the mouse button only once to start the preview!
        • that, if the preview is started, the preview window has medium size!
          And that I could scroll with the mouse from small size to fullscreen.
          (With an option to select zoom factor ever a movement of the scrolling wheel)
        • to have a colorpicker that show me the numerical value of the color as hexadecimal number
        • to have some options on the right mouse button (cut, copy, insert, fill, delete, transparency)

But I do not really understand the icon for "in-place compare"!
        • Can I move (and zoom) with the mouse into the window of 'Initial image'
          and then I can see exactly the same area of the picture in the window of 'Optimized image'?
          To see the differences?!
        • What also can I do?
        • Why not an icon like that for "in-place-compare"?

two pics with a hand over the left pic

Comment

>>if I must click the mouse button only once to start the preview!
          The preview button is there if automatic preview is not enabled. Pressing the preview button once refresh the optimized image. If automatic preview is enabled the image is refreshed automatically.

>that, if the preview is started, the preview window has medium size!
          >And that I could scroll with the mouse from small size to fullscreen.
          >(With an option to select zoom factor ever a movement of the scrolling wheel)

The preview image size is (obviously) equal to the original image size and it can be adjusted by zooming, actual view and fit in window buttons.
          Zooming can be made now with the mouse wheel by keeping Ctrl key pressed and rotating the wheel.

>to have a colorpicker that show me the numerical value of the color as hexadecimal number
          This will be available in a future version

> to have some options on the right mouse button (cut, copy, insert, fill, delete, transparency)
          Improving usability is my purpose also. We will discuss about this when the time comes.

I think I need to make some clarifications about in place compare.
          This function will let you overlay the original image over the optimized image then show again the optimized image on top when the function is disabled. The overlay process will be done in the optimized image scroollbox.
          This way users can compare how compression affects the original image and notice those small artifacts and color aberations.
          So this simply puts in the optimized image area the original image. Scrolling and zooming can be done normally.

I think the icon shows exactly what is happening: put an image over the other like pointed by the arrow - from left to right, put original over optimized. This button will be sunken when checked and in normal state when not checked.

Your icons are not suggestive for this function, because hand on film suggests click on video and word copy on film suggests copy video.

Did you see that in faststone viewer the function is represented by a horizontal green arrow indicating what is put over what.
          RIOT developer

Comment

This button will be sunken when checked and in normal state when not checked.
            So, is the overlay only available for as long as the in-place button is pressed? That is, it is only a momentary button?

No, the problem doesn't just happen on my profile. Read more.

Comment

It can be either way, but I think it should not force user to keep this button pressed and not let him do anything else.
              RIOT developer

Comment

It can be either way, but I think it should not force user to keep this button pressed and not let him do anything else.
                Are you saying you will have an option to lock it, in addition to momentary? Or are you only going to make it toggle? I agree you can't do anything else, but don't you have to keep clicking it to go back and forth? Click and release seems easier and more intuitive to me.

Comment

Pressing continuously is faster if someone knows that this is the correct way to operate. But you must admit this is an unusual use of a button. I have a big experience with computers, but I don't usually think a button should stay pressed to do his job.

So the extra click can add more usability.
                  RIOT developer

Comment

To me, it seems confusing. If I have to keep clicking to see artifacts, won't I forget whether I'm looking at the optimized image or the original? With the momentary button, you have more control. Holding it, you know it will be original, and releasing will be optimized. Faster and easier, to see the artifacts as you go back and forth. Don't you think so? What other functionality do you really need while using the in-place compare, anyhow? You can easily use anything else after releasing the button, and then go right back to it. We also have the side-by-side as well.
                    Last edited by Skippybox; 29.10.2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

The button will be sunken in that case.
                      Anyhow, I am still thinking about what is the best method. You brought some strong arguments.

So anyone else? Click to enable/click to disable or keep it pressed to enable ?
                      RIOT developer

Comment

The button will be sunken in that case.
                        That is my point. You won't be looking at the button, rather the images. Why would you want two original images side-by-side if the button is stuck ON? If you really weren't paying attention and started doing something else, you could think the original is the optimized! The momentary button prevents such a mix-up. I don't know what you are doing with the text above the images.

Anyhow, I am still thinking about what is the best method. You brought some strong arguments.
                        Thanks. I appreciate your consideration.

So anyone else? Click to enable/click to disable or keep it pressed to enable ?
                        Yes, where is everyone? It's just like Frank and me out here.
                        Last edited by Skippybox; 29.10.2008, 03:42 PM.

Comment

How come this thread, 'RIOT plugin for Irfan View', isn't a sticky?

Comment

How long before you roll out all these features for the full-blown 0.2? Three months?

Comment

...So anyone else? Click to enable/click to disable or keep it pressed to enable ? =

Yes, where is everyone? It's just like Frank and me out here.
                              Yep, sorry, but I seem to be lost which version, lite or full, I have to use to test the latest Riot plugin.

EDIT : made the thread sticky btw..
                              Last edited by Sam_Zen; 30.10.2008, 11:22 PM.
                              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I hope version 0.2.1 will be ready in 2-3 months.

The program suffers an interface reorganization. These modifications are usability and cosmetic changes, and are needed to make room for all planned features in the future.

I will put here some screenshots when the new interface will be finished.
                                RIOT developer

Comment

Working...
                                X