Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, I'm sorry about missing that in the previous page ... and thanks for considering the "search in RIOT.dll" folder!

Just one little thing. On your website, there is no link to that differences page!
    On top, there is HOME / DLL Version / Author / Program
    None of those pages lead to the difference! If you could add that link on any of those pages, that would help people like me and avoid dumb questions

Thanks again ... looking forward to 0.1.10

Comment

The explanation about Lite vs Full is in the News section (left navigation pane). It may be a nice thing to add a visible link to a complete explanation to let people understand why so many RIOT versions.

v. 0.1.10 will fix among other things two known issues: transparency lost after color quantization and high memory usage.

I have some more work to do at this version and I will release it after few more tests, perhaps sooner here in unnoficial version.
      I am very happy of the recent changes in RIOT.
      RIOT developer
      visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

So are we happy
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hello Lucian Sabo,

On your website I read about the future plans for RIOT.

My questions:
          What are your plans for the "crop function"? Something similar as JPEGCrops? (That would be great!!!)
          And is possible to add multilanguage support for RIOT-Plugin, similarly as IrfanPaint?!

regards
          Frank

Comment

Cropping (JPEGCrops)
            I did not used this program , but as far as I can read about it I understand that it is a program designed to crop images for printing use.
            JPEGCrops is a Windows program, created for preparation of a batch of images for printing
            On the other hand RIOT is
            A free program designed to efficiently optimize images for the Web
            It's easy to see that these programs are created for different purposes.
            Printing needs high quality lossless compressed or uncompressed images (usually CMYK), while web needs sufficient quality highly compressed images.
            Web does not need cropping to common (printing) sizes.
            The future crop function in RIOT will be a somle one, adapted for web images.

If you refer to JPEG lossless operations, I plan to extend the flip/rotate/crop to support this as a pre-processing step, but not in the near future.

Multilingual
            The original plan was not to support other languages than english. This may change in the future, but for the moment no translations can be made for RIOT.
            The main reasons I avoid adding multiple languages are:
            -personal (no time to maintain them/no personal need/time consuming changes to be made for all displayed text)
            -objective (little overhead with adding INI file support [this means larger filesize, slower startup, ...slight use of cpu/mem/hdd])

I am not saying I refuse to add multiple language support, but I preffer to add features I consider as important to the english version, make this program known, then when many people that don't know english want to use it... maybe.
            Sorry if I dissapointed you.

For the next branch (0.2) I plan a reorganization of the GUI to insert the new functions in a easy to understand manner.
            RIOT developer

Comment

Do you provide the most current version of RIOT for the Lite DLL, Full DLL and EXE?
              Or only for the EXE?
              I've downloaded the DLL in Lite version.
              This is still the old version (0.1.7), although for the windows version already the new version (0.1.9) exists!

Why there are differences between the EXE version and the DLL version??!

Comment

The three RIOT flavours are always kept in sync.
                I just released version 0.1.10 that has important fixes.

The most important are transparency preservation on color quantization, drastically decreased memory usage, RGBF type TIFF support, vista icon support (ex: 256x256 PNG compressed), IPTC support for RIOT Lite.

Note that the Lite dll is now packed in a rar archive.

v.0.1.10 (stable candidate #7)
                -improvement/bugfix: Transparency is now fully kept regardlessof bit depth.
                Color quantization now does not lose transparency. Alpha transparency can be converted to indexed transparency.
                -improvement: drastically decreased memory usage especially for RIOT Full:
                * DIB size + compressed image size in idle if DIBs fit in the video card memory, more otherwise
                * up to 3xDIB size when processing
                (Note that OpenPictureDialog preview does not free his image in memory until another preview is made. With open by drag & drop no image preview is stored in memory)
                - added RGBF image support for TIFF
                - added Vista icons support (very few viewers can open them now !)
                - added IPTC support for RIOT Lite
                - update FreeImage engine to 3.11.0 (FreeImage now uses libtiff (3.9.0), libpng (1.2.29), libMNG (1.0.10) and OpenJPEG (1.3.0))
                - FreeImage.dll is now compatible with the official release. Some minor fixes were made in the RIOT version of the DLL, though
                - bugfix: ICC profile was lost after Rotate. Fixed.
                -bugfix: on drop file the current file name and the filesize were overwritten even if loading was not succesfull
                (unknown type or unsupported)
                -Save As speed-up
                -compiler optimizations: optimized instruction set for Pentium Pro
                -several optimizations and code cleanup
                RIOT developer

Comment

For people that use Set File Size via RIOT in normal save or batch job note that this function is not designed to operate with large images or twousands of images.

I see that IV never frees the memory after using saving through RIOT.
                  This can lead to a big memory usage if this function is used often and the program is not closed and started again.

I am not sure now if the memory leak comes from RIOT or IV.
                  RIOT developer

Comment

IrfanView doesn't show the correct version number of RIOT!

After your last answer I've updated to version 0.1.10 of RIOT Lite!
                    The 'About' dialog of RIOT shows the correct version number of RIOT!
                    But IrfanView doesn't shows the correct version number of RIOT!

(To enlarge click on the pictures!)

Please fix that problem!

Comment

Thank you for your feedback. I have corrected this.

Regarding the problem with the batch job:
                      I can tell you now that RIOT does not have any memory leaks after RIOT_SaveToFile. I tested it and all I can say the small memory leak comes from IrfanView.
                      RIOT developer

Comment

IrfanPaint has got a shortcut F12 in the latest version. Quite rightly so, because it's an important plugin.
                        I think RIOT deserves to have such a shortcut as well. Something like Shift+F12.
                        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I agree, and I proposed Irfan to add a shortcut.
                          It's a save function so a better shortcut would be Ctrl + Shift + S, as Save is Ctrl + S (this combination is ussually Save as in most programs, not Save)
                          RIOT developer

Comment

After unpacking of RIOT Lite-DLL into the plugin folder of IrfanView and a restart,
                            the program IrfanView still shows the wrong version number of RIOT!

(To enlarge click on the picture!)

Is IrfanView unable to recognize the new version number of RIOT?
                            (PS: What you have corrected?)

Comment

It seems that for RIOT Lite the old file is still in the archive.
                              I have corrected the version, but forgot to upload the new file for the Lite version.
                              RIOT developer

Comment

RIOT Lite

The mistake was found!
                                Please upload the new file!

Comment

Working...
                                X