Thread: Folder path too long

Default Folder path too long

I get "Can't read file header" when I try to open images in deep folder paths, I am very sure that the problem is my folder paths are too long because the images work fine with other viewers. I know the obvious solution is to make shorter folder paths but I would rather not do that. I've looked through these forums and on google and didn't find anything resembling my problem with irfanview. Would greatly appreciate any assistance and I apologize if there is already a thread on this issue somewhere.

Plugin Author
    OS
    Win 7 Professional SP1

Quote Originally Posted by Draugluin View Post
    I get "Can't read file header" when I try to open images in deep folder paths, I am very sure that the problem is my folder paths
    Maybe it's a Unicode problem. Try to activate the basic Unicode support (plugin) which is new in 4.20.

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Default Path too long

I think it's still caused by the (too) long directory names you use. Even the Windows Explorer can't read loads of deep subdirectories with long filenames, see the attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Path too long.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	753  

Maybe it's a Unicode problem. Try to activate the basic Unicode support (plugin) which is new in 4.20.
    This is the first thing I did when I upgraded to 4.20 :P

I think it's still caused by the (too) long directory names you use. Even the Windows Explorer can't read loads of deep subdirectories with long filenames, see the attachment.
    This is true but it is only too long for Irfanview to open the image, even Windows Picture and Fax Viewer opens it with no problems at all. So how is it Windows Picture and Fax Viewer can open it with long folder path and Irfanview cannot?

Plugin Author
    OS
    Win 7 Professional SP1

So how is it Windows Picture and Fax Viewer can open it with long folder path and Irfanview cannot?
    Most programs are using a fixed length for filenames it's called MAX_PATH. MAX_PATH is 256. Because Irfanview does not support Unicode internally it may be the case that this Unicode plugin is not able to convert the filename correctly if the Unicode path is quite long already.

Quote Originally Posted by impdf View Post
    Most programs are using a fixed length for filenames it's called MAX_PATH. MAX_PATH is 256. Because Irfanview does not support Unicode internally it may be the case that this Unicode plugin is not able to convert the filename correctly if the Unicode path is quite long already.
    That makes sense because the folder names have a lot of Unicode in them, so you think there is probably nothing that can be done to allow Irfanview to open these images?

Plugin Author
    OS
    Win 7 Professional SP1

That makes sense because the folder names have a lot of Unicode in them, so you think there is probably nothing that can be done to allow Irfanview to open these images?
    If you are able to open these images in general (means on an other location) then I guess you can not do anything in the moment. Maybe you should try to contact the Unicode plugin author to get information about the limitations of this plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjef View Post
    yes. you are right. I was stuck with the same issue. Used longpathtool to solve the problem. it saved my project!
    try it yourself. works like magic.

Thread Information