Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capture Screenshot ends the full-screen-mode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capture Screenshot ends the full-screen-mode.

Hi,
    I am using the Irfanview Screen Capture feature with the timer option (e.g. to capture a desktop image every 5 seconds).

This works fine most of the time but certainly not when the Windows Media Player V11 is playing a video in full-screen-mode (what you get after pressing Alt-Enter) and irfanview initiates a screenshot after 5 seconds. In that case, the irfanview programs somehow triggers the Windows Media Player each time to return to Normal-Window-Mode, e.g. the full-screen mode stops, and therefore the screen capture becomes useless.

Note 1: I disabled all graphics acceleration stuff.
    Note 2: the timer screen capture works fine when the media player window is set to Normal size or when it is Maximized.

Any suggestions on how to keep the media player running in full-screen mode during the screen capture are welcome.

If you think it would work better with the VLC Media Player or the Media Classic Player then I will certainly give that a try as well.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    Paul.

If your intention is to get still frames of a video, then there are more efficient solutions for this. Like ffdshow, which can be instructed to grab every n-th frame.

Comment

Thanks for the hint. I studied ffdshow a bit and it does the job perfectly.

FYI This document describes it in full detail: http://www.nathanm.com/how-to-captur...dia-player-11/
      Kind regards,
      Paul.

Comment

The only problem is that those images are so small and dinky. So, in order to fix it we need to configure FFDShow to output the video at 200% so that the images it grabs are larger.
        I disagree with the recomendation to always use Resize & Aspect processing. There is absolutely no reason to upsample by a factor of 2. The resizer is there to enable best possible quality output on fixed resolution displays, especially if subtitles are also rendered.

It's best to resample the captured stills later in the project you're making. Be it a DVD cover, or a demonstration for the web; these targets will put own requirements for resolution (dpi of the printer, bandwidth limitation). If the video is "small and dinky", upsampling will not improve the quality.

Comment

Thanks for that .

PS My issue has been solved with your ffdshow hint, but the original problem still remains in general, e.g. the windows media player v11 comes out off full-screen-mode each time that irfanview triggers a screen capture via its timer. Note that it is no longer critical for me but maybe it should be looked at to see what is causing this, either irfanview or wmp.
          Kind regards,
          Paul.

Comment

Working...
          X