Command line printing overrides printer tray options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Command line printing overrides printer tray options

I need to be able to use the command line print function and not have it override the destination printer's tray selection. For example, I have an HP laser 4200n printer. Tray 2 is the default tray on the printer. Only when selecting "manual feed" should Tray 1 be used, under normal circumstances.

When printing from command line using irfanview, Tray 1 is always selected, which requires user interaction with the printer to complete the print request.

Is there an undocumented commandline option to specify the paper tray?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi phorward,

No such option in IrfanView to my knowledge. I would check if the default tray set in the Windows driver is really the one you want (maybe it is set on tray 1 although the setting in the printer memory is set on tray 2). I guess IrfanView uses the Windows driver settings.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Thanks, Laurent.

It appears that if the name passed via the command line, eg /print="sdg-pr3" must be the name of a printer already registered with the local PC. If the name isn't recognized by irfanview, it defaults to the default printer for the local PC.

I need to be able to send a print command, similar to using something similar to: "lpr -S prnsvr -P sdg-pr3 filename.jpg" to a printer that most likely is not previously connected to the PC. With lpr, I don't have to have the printer mapped prior to issuing the command. This allows me to print to any printer on the print server.

I'd like to be able to send this command: i_view32 filename.jpg /print="\\prnsvr\sdg-pr3" but it sounds like that's not going to work.

Comment

Hi phorward,

The only two recognized commands are (from help file)
        - /print - print input image to default printer and close IrfanView
        - /print="Name" - print input image to specific printer and close IrfanView

So use the name of your printer (look in Start / Settings / Printers). I just tried with a network printer and it works well:
        Code:
        c:\progra~1\Irfanview\i_view32 .\image.png /print="Brother HL-5270DN series"
        where "Brother HL-5270DN series" is the name of IP 192.168.0.50.

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

The machines that I will be running my command line tool on are mobile computers that need to print to the nearest printer. They won't have the printer installed and configured on them.

The lpr syntax works for documents and text files, allowing me to pass the printername and print without installing the printer first. I was hoping to use irfanview to print images in this same way since you can't send an image file directly to the printer using lpr.

I'll just keep looking.
          Thanks!

Comment

Tray issue

Hi,

we have a similar problem. We need to print tif images from a DMS. Within logic coded around the DMS we have a mapping of username to printer and document type to tray (for letterhead or plain paper selection).

We could not get the printer and tray selction to run correctly. What we did was create virtual printers where each printer has only one tray (ie printer1tray1, and printer1tray2)

The username and doc type then maps to a virtual printer. This works brilliantly.

Our issue was (is) that the tif images scale when printed due to the margin the printer insists on wrapping around the image. We cannot remove the margin completely from the HW setup as we then void our support contract and any docs not printed over the DMS look terrible.

The solution seemed to be irfanview. We can crop the image slightly and also set the margin so we actually get better aligned printout on letterhead than the original.

Unfortunately, irfanview seems to ignore or alter the printer selection we make. Even with the print="printer" setting irfanview refuses to print to the virtual printer (whether defined with full network path or using a local alias) and instead prints to the default tray for the "real" underlying printer.

Any help appreciated as we would really like to use irfanview, but cannot see any way to override its override of the printer request.

Printing from windows, word, direct from the DMS or other methods straight to the print queue work fine, it is only when we go over irfanview that we see this issue.

Regards,

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X