Autoplay Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Autoplay Option

Perhaps an option could be created that would enable/disable videos or files from autostarting when progressing through a directory in the viewer.

Presently, IrfanView autoplays video when moving through a directory. While this is convenient sometimes, other times it would be nice to have manual control. When viewing media or different videos, sometimes it would be nice to see a video represented by a frame ready to play, but not have it necessarily start playing. This possibly could improve performance, too.

While you can change what types of files are loaded in Properties, this would not allow you the option to consider playing an uncertain select number of videos. Also, thumbnail mode could be used to screen for media, but if you are trying to view an entire directory this wouldn't really work.

It is awkward -- that's why I never have such file types in my "load custom" list. After thinking about it a lot, I believe the best way to handle it would be to have separate load-lists for the viewer and the thumb browser. But I don't know if that is possible.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Automatic things are natural on a computer. But I like to keep control over the process instead of just forced to experiencing it.
      So I support this idea. A box to choose to disable 'start video playing automatically' would be nice.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
        ...I believe the best way to handle it would be to have separate load-lists for the viewer and the thumb browser. But I don't know if that is possible.
        I can't say that would be easier to use or implement than a check box. While two lists may have a few advantages, it could be restrictive in use. I like the thumbnail browser, but most of the time I skip using it because it is too slow.

A check box makes sense because of its quick toggling capability, especially if it is more accessible, like in a toolbar. In this way, it wouldn't really matter how you view media because the control would be global. There are probably a few other ways this could be done, too. We really need more customizable shortcut keys and to be able to customize IrfanView in general!

Comment

My reasoning behind the double list is that I do use the thumb browser -- and one of the things I use it for is looking through my fractal files. When I have *.frs (Fractal Explorer spot files) showing in the thumb browser, I can use an "open with external editor" command to open the file in FE to create a new version of an image. But then I can't click through a directory of images with the viewer if it has an *.frs in it. I would like to be able to do both without changing something all the time. As it is, I either have to forego viewer browsing or use other, far less convenient, means to locate the matching *.frs file when I find the image I am looking for.

You have to have a few hundred thousand fractals to understand this
          ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Fractals.. interesting!
            Well, I don't have that amount of files, but I do understand.
            I can't test this at the moment, because I'm still building my new system, and yet have to install my fractal tools again.
            Normally with FE, these *.frs-files are in its subdir 'Formulas'. So there could be some path problem.
            I almost never use the thumbview myself, but maybe in this case it's more a question of opening a 'viewer' or an 'editor'.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Two is better than one

Originally posted by matera View Post
              ...When I have *.frs (Fractal Explorer spot files) showing in the thumb browser, I can use an "open with external editor" command to open the file in FE to create a new version of an image. But then I can't click through a directory of images with the viewer if it has an *.frs in it. I would like to be able to do both without changing something all the time. As it is, I either have to forego viewer browsing or use other, far less convenient, means to locate the matching *.frs file when I find the image I am looking for...
              While I still would need the checkbox option to prevent videos from starting up in order to view images and videos simultaneously, I think I have a solution for you.

This workaround may be unusual, but I think it would work very well for you. Since IrfanView is still quite small and is always portable, why not create one or more IrfanViews. Just copy your installation folder to another location and—voilà!—you can have two programs to customize to your needs.

For instance, leave the main program as you have it now, so you can load all the custom file types in the Thumbnail Browser. Then, for viewing you can use the second IrfanView you made, but have it only load what you want without the *.frs files. Nice! Even more amazing is that if you want to view particular files you see in either of IrfanView's Thumbnail Browsers, just set the other IrfanView program as one of the external editors in that IrfanView. Remember that IrfanView is CTRL+N also, but it opens the IrfanView program that called it! That way wherever you are you can view media sorted either way.

A few things to make it easier:
              • Choose some different colors or styles to differentiate the programs, so you don't get confused using them.

• Make accessible shortcuts to each program and make their icons and names distinctive.
                [Your 2nd Thumbs shortcut might be targeted as: "<drive>:\<optionalfolders>\IrfanView2\i_view32.ex e /thumbs"]

• Try not to make mistakes adjusting settings (Always know where you are!).

With just a little setup work in the beginning, you should be able to get the effect your after, and without having to constantly change things if you don't want to!

Comment

Have you tried it matera?

So matera, did you try my solution, or have you already been implementing it before I suggested it? What do you think? Any good for you and your fractals?

Comment

Ha. No, I haven't peeked in here enough lately. But that is not a bad idea at all. Thanks

The other alternative is pointing the same IV to a different INI file, but I think it may be simpler for me to use a separate installation. The "fractal slave" IV won't need most of the plugins anyway.
                  ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X