Thread: Why doesn't IrfanView detect my webcam as a TWAIN source anymore?

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.20
    OS
    Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Default Why doesn't IrfanView detect my webcam as a TWAIN source anymore?

It used to! I think it stopped around 4.10. I just tried installing 4.20 but that doesn't see it either.

I really liked using IV to capture stills with my webcam, it used to work great but now it doesn't see it at all.

My webcam is listed in Scanners and Cameras. Using XP SP3.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.20
    OS
    Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Well, I just uninstalled, rebooted and installed version 3.99. Same problem. So now I've uninstalled my webcam, rebooted and reinstalled it in a different USB port. Still no change.

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Hi sm8000,

If your camera isn't listed in the "Select TWAIN source" box, then I believe there is a problem with the camera installation.

I also have a camera (not a webcam) attached. It is listed in Scanners and Cameras, but IrfanView doensn't "see" it because I didn't install its TWAIN driver.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Version
    IrfanView 4.35
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Could this problem have been created by installing the SP3 upgrade?

Plugin Author
    OS
    Win 7 Professional SP1

Quote Originally Posted by sm8000 View Post
    It used to! I think it stopped around 4.10. I just tried installing 4.20 but that doesn't see it either.

I really liked using IV to capture stills with my webcam, it used to work great but now it doesn't see it at all.

My webcam is listed in Scanners and Cameras. Using XP SP3.
    Nowadays a lot of external devices offer a WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) driver only and no longer support TWAIN. But there is a TWAIN data source file (.ds) from MS. It is called WIATWAIN.ds and should be located in your TWAIN_32 folder in the Windows system folder. This data source simulates a limited TWAIN driver for WIA devices.

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Hi Sjef,

I have SP3 installed and I had no problem to install the TWAIN driver for my camera. Is is now recognized and I can make captures from IrfanView.

The box to choose the TWAIN device is a Windows box, not an IrfanView dialog. If a camera isn't listed there, the problem isn't with IrfanView. I believe the problem is the driver or the camera or even Windows installation (if it is possible to remove TWAIN support).

The first thing to know is whether sm8000's webcam is listed in the available TWAIN devices or not.

Laurent

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.20
    OS
    Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Hi everyone,

It is not listed in the available TWAIN devices. There is a corresponding .ds file in the twain_32 folder, and I have changed the default device in the registry to point to that file, but no luck.

I do not recall if I had this problem before upgrading to SP3, but hopefully that's not related, especially if it's working for others. It is possible that I'm using a different set of drivers than before.

For the record, my webcam is a Sony PS2 EyeToy, and I am currently using the "generic" D-Link drivers for it. I will try and track down the initial set of drivers I was using to see if I get better results.

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Hi sm8000,

Seems you are using the driver for another camera, as there is none for your Sony (is this well a camera from a Playstation?) I found this topic for "a bit of hacking" (as the author wrote).

Laurent

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.20
    OS
    Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

That's exactly the camera I'm using (it is from the Playstation 2), and I *think* I was using a slightly different driver set than before, when IrfanView would list it as a TWAIN device.

Thread Information