Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camera Recommendation

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

I got my new camera! Well, two actually. After looking around for awhile, I settled on the impossibly hard to get Panasonic DMC-LX3K. The quality is great for a compact and I am impressed with the features/performance.

I also wanted some zoom and a few other features, so I opted for the Canon SX10IS. I had gotten excited about the SX1IS, but thought the SX10IS was the better choice. The SX10IS also seemed better than the SX20IS, which just came out. But, I sure wish I had that wireless controller on the SX1IS!

Version
    IrfanView 4.38
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

My first digital camera was a Konica KD-500Z! (Now my daughter has this one!)
    Actual I've the SLR camera Canon EOS 5D and the compact Lumix DMC-TZ7 from Panasonic!

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Actual I've the SLR camera Canon EOS 5D and the compact Lumix DMC-TZ7 from Panasonic!
    I considered the very impressive DMC-TZ7 (DMC-ZS3 here in the US), but I wanted the bigger sensor in the LX3, so I gave up the zoom.

The EOS 5D is a great SLR, but I wanted to wait awhile before getting an SLR, which are a bit cumbersome to use. Maybe a 5D Mark II next time, but boy is it expensive!! What's your impression of the cheaper Sony Alpha A850?

Version
    IrfanView 4.38
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Skippybox View Post
    ... What's your impression of the cheaper Sony Alpha A850?
    Hhmm... good camera, good technical details!
    (But Sony for a SLR camera ... ? I think Sony is probaly the best decision for a video solution!)

Why not look at DMC-G1K or DMC-GH1K from Panasonic or the PowerShot G10 or PowerShot G11 from Canon?

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

I know I said SLRs are cumbersome, but I'd still want a traditional SLR if I got one. I mentioned the 5D Mark II and the Sony, since they have full frame sensors. I'll have to investigate whether a full frame sensor is always ideal though.

G11 and DMC-G1K are definitely interesting, as is the Olympus Pen EP-1, but probably not my taste. For the cost, I'd lean towards a true SLR.

If Sony does video well, as you say, why do you question its SLR performance? Not enough experience or history in that market?
    Last edited by Skippybox; 28.08.2009 at 09:53 PM.

Thread Information