Undo last delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Undo last delete

Thanks for a GREAT program. I frequently use it to clean out folders. Sometimes I get ahead of myself and delete a file by mistake. A feature to "Undo Last Delete" would be wonderful.

Mahalo(Thanks) and Aloha, gene.in.hawaii

IrfanView deletes files through Explorer. You can select to use the Recycle Bin in preferences.

Comment

Misunderstood

I already do use the Recycle Bin to send deleted items to. I can go to that folder and restore the file if I've deleted it by accident. What I was suggesting was that it would be convenient to have an option in IrfanView to simply restore the item as soon as one realizes it was deleted by mistake.

Thanks, Gene

Comment

simply restore the item as soon as one realizes it was deleted by mistake
        Well, "as soon", that's exactly the weak point in this request.
        When do one realizes the mistake ? Maybe just after two other actions or pictures..
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Well, obviously one would know that it could only be the very last picture that was deleted that I am referring to. That is what "Undo Last Delete" would mean.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

It is still a file manager function, and not even found in many of them. Performing an action on an image is one thing, telling the operating system to snuff a file is another. Sometimes we have to accept the consequences of our acts, mistake or no.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Amazed

I am always amazed how in almost every bulletin board I either use, or simply visit, comments stray so far from the original post. Often they end up with preaching and almost insult. I simply stated that an "Undo Last Delete" option would be nice. It could not be more precise and implies that I realize it can only be done for the last deletion and also that it is a file management function. "Copy" "Move" "Rename" "Delete", etc. are all management functions that Irfanview supports so an "Undo Last Delete" option would not seem unreasonable.

Comment

No reason for getting upset. This is a genuine request, no doubt about that.
                It's just that some Undo function are much more complicated than others, because they involve elements outside Irfan View too.
                Undo resize goes fine, but 'Undo Last Compression' isn't possible.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the concern. I will just have to be more careful and not delete photos so quickly. I start scrolling through files and get carried away. As I said.......I can always just go to the Windows Recycle Bin and restore a file. I guess it's true that "haste makes waste." Or as others say, "Speed Kills".

Comment

Sorry, I did not mean to sound so brusque, but I am not always in a verbose mood... Happens I have done a good few accidental deletes with IV, but I learned to not do it while paging quickly through the collection. It never occurred to me to ask for an undelete. I don't expect it in other programs (they don't usually make it as easy to delete, either LOL). I always remove the delete button from the IV toolbar, both for myself and for other people for whom I install it, to prevent mouse accidents. Good enough that I can hover a twitchy finger over the keyboard and go woops.
                    ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Hiding the button is nice, but I realize now, that I did something like that by (almost) never using the delete function in IV.
                      Because somewhat intuivitely I think deleting a file is a concern of the File Manager of the system, not of some application.
                      As default of course. And if I'm sure about the deletion, I even use a mode to skip the recycle bin.
                      But, of course, I had the occasional mistakes too.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Just to go off at a slight angle off-topic - I went back to using the bin most of the time after a couple of near disasters involving change of focus compounded by lack of attention and/or poor eyesight. Files got unintentionally wiped out with no recovery possible. And I keep a pocketful of file recovery proggies handy! It pays to be a teeny-weeny bit careful some days.

I use a small program called RecycleNow to dump the trash. It's quicker than clicking the bin, and my normal desktop has no bin (or any other icons)

Deleting by way of the IV thumb viewer is less hazardous than the other way. Sometimes it is the best way to pick out a lot of real losers. I don't use a thumbnail view in a file manager very often because the IV thumb viewer gives me a wider field without having to change my preferred layout in the file manager.
                        ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

I constantly have my harddisks near 0 bytes of free space, and cannot afford the luxury of the recycle bin. Shift+Del is the only way to go. I also think that file management requires a dedicated application. However, deleting from within IrfanView is useful when somebody sends you a bunch of nameless files (sequentially numered, etc).

Comment

How the heck do you ever defrag?
                            ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Apart from that, 'near 0 bytes of free space' .. --> I would feel like being constantly on the edge of an abyss..
                              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                              X