Create Contact Sheet files not appearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create Contact Sheet files not appearing

In Irfanview Thumbnails When selecting multiple files and choosing the "Create contact sheet from selected files..." option, the program seems to run through the process of creating the sheets, and even displays one of the sheets. When browsing to the location specified the files do not seem to be in that location and I am not able to find where the files are being put.

I have been able to get the program to work properly with the exact same settings on another computer, but I am having issues with one machine in particular. Both machines have the same versions of Ifranview Thumbnails and the users have the same permissions. Both machines are running Windows XP Pro. One machine is older (single core) while the other is new (dual core).

Please let me know if more information is needed for assistance.

Thank you,
    Nate

The file is not automatically created -- you have to save it, use Save as and give it a name, choose the file format, and where it goes.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Output set to "Save all pages"

I have the output set to "Save all pages". I am able to achieve this output on another PC.

When I attempt to save the last page (i am creating multiple pages) which comes up after it has processed through and I attempt to "save as" this page I am getting a "pdf save error" that pops up and I am unable to save.

Thank you for posting a response.

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by nwags56 View Post
        When browsing to the location specified the files do not seem to be in that location and I am not able to find where the files are being put.
        What is the location? Have you tried changing it, and experimented with something else? I don't know if you'd be fooled by this, but if you keep selecting the same location and extension, the output will overwrite previous files because the same generic name is used for saving (sort of a stupid method IMO).

One machine is older (single core) while the other is new (dual core).
        Which one?

Originally posted by matera View Post
        The file is not automatically created -- you have to save it, use Save as and give it a name, choose the file format, and where it goes.
        Actually, if you use Save all pages they are automatically created. The last page just gets displayed as a clipboard file, but has already been saved. Nothing more is needed to be done.

Originally posted by nwags56 View Post
        When I attempt to save the last page (i am creating multiple pages) which comes up after it has processed through and I attempt to "save as" this page I am getting a "pdf save error" that pops up and I am unable to save.
        Why are you trying to save it? You can save it, but you shouldn't need to. Can you explain further what you are doing? On the Create Contact Sheet dialog, what format are you trying to save as? When you are saving the last page, what format are you using in the Save As dialog?

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
          What is the location? Have you tried changing it, and experimented with something else? I don't know if you'd be fooled by this, but if you keep selecting the same location and extension, the output will overwrite previous files because the same generic name is used for saving (sort of a stupid method IMO).
          I have tried a couple different locations no files (pdf in this case) show in any location.

Which one?
          The machine I am unable to get to save is a single core

Actually, if you use Save all pages they are automatically created. The last page just gets displayed as a clipboard file, but has already been saved. Nothing more is needed to be done.
          I aggree, I was following up with the previous post that stated I needed to "save as".

Why are you trying to save it? You can save it, but you shouldn't need to. Can you explain further what you are doing? On the Create Contact Sheet dialog, what format are you trying to save as? When you are saving the last page, what format are you using in the Save As dialog?
          I have tried to save to the desktop, and to a new folder in My Documents. In the thumbnails view I am selecting about 20 photos, executing the "create contact sheet..." option via right click method. Creating 6 photos per sheet output to pdf format. It works great on one of my machines, but not on another. The systems seems to pause and process through and even displays the final sheet, however the files are not showing up. I am thinking the "pdf save error" I am getting when attempting to save the final sheet is some indication as to why the files do not show up, but I am not sure where to begin troubleshooting that problem. I guess I will start by googling "pdf save error"

Comment

Do other extensions work, just not PDF?

Comment

Google

Well google search helped. The results directed me back to the Irfanview forums. Apparently the needed plug-in was not installed. I downloaded the installer to install all plug-ins, and I was able to create the files with no issues. I am not sure how I installed the program differently on the machines, I thought I used the same installer package, but apparently I still managed to install one with the plug-in and one without.

Thanks for posting back and getting the thoughts going to solving my issue.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes we miss the obvious. The plugin installer is separate from the program installer, so you do need to run both. Were you just missing a couple plugins or did it look like you didn't install any? There are three ways, at least, to get plugins. Glad I could help, if that's what I did?

Comment

Working...
                X