Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChuckE View Post
    Simple. MICROSOFT!!

In the area of "Zero Day Exploits" your really can't expect a free anti-virus company to get there that quick, at least not on "day zero." But being "day zero" it is only Microsoft that is going to be "Johnny on the spot" right there on the day that a hole is announced, since it is them that announced the hole - ALONG with the patch for it (MS does not announce a hole without the patch for it). So, the very first line of defense, against any Zero Day exploit, is going to have to be Microsoft and the patches that they announced on that day zero.

It is the virus creators who use the info that Microsoft supplies on Day Zero that then create the viruses to exploit the hole, announced by MS, that are going to immediately follow the trails left by MS. But if you get the critical updates, announced by MS on Day Zero, there is no problem there.

Given that 'breathing room', then using the frequent updates provided by the free anti-virus companies (like AVG or Avast) and you should be adequately protected.

I have a half-dozen computers, and I only use the free AVG, along with the critical MS updates as they are announced, and I can't recall ever getting a virus.

I do not have the same level of trust in Microsoft! Sure, they are placed well enough, but are they lean enough to move quickly? In this business, a day's delay is equal to Billions of dollars lost, the world over! Whatever MS does is consistently done long after the horse has bolted, and is done in instalments!

Security holes are put in place when a product is released without adequate testing. (Not so surprisingly, it is Vista that comes readily to the mind!) While a few security holes are probably exploited by Security product vendors, this is done to boost their Security product sales, not to steal Credit Card information. Therefore it will be a long time, before the patch is made available to free users of the product! In fact, free users are soft targets - maybe sitting targets even, for they are forced to buy the commercial version of the product, if they want to get rid of the virus!

Most security holes in Microsoft products - OS and IE and Office included, are identified by Hackers: some of them do it for a fleeting moment of fame, some of them do it for malicious reasons. A rare minority does it for altruistic reasons...

Interestingly, an increasing number of them are actually teens or even younger, operating on their own or in gangs of twos and threes...!

When the world was reeling under NIMDA, if MS could do something about it, were they twiddling their thumbs? No, I'd place my money on ISVs, even where cleaning up after Windows is concerned! No freeware too, where Security products, OS or Office Suites (though OpenOffice is quite good) are concerned.

True, life at MS can't be easy or enviable, what with every hacker worth his/ her salt, training their guns forever on MS! The guys at, say Ubuntu or Apple OS, lead peaceful lives in comparison!
    Last edited by WellOiledPC; 04.09.2009, 09:33 AM.
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

I am not talking about who can move faster, a large company or a small one, I am only talking about what you brought up with:
      Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
      In the event of a Zero Day Virus attack, guess who releases the patch first?
      The term "Zero Day Exploit" is where the virus creators dissect the info and patch released by Microsoft on their "Update Tuesday," which is typically the 2nd Tuesday of every month (unless something big has forced their normal release schedule). Microsoft does not tell anybody what holes are found, or what they're working on, until they have a patch already made for it. Those out of sequence security fixes are very rare, and when they do happen it was because someone let the security hole info out before MS either had the patch for it, or it just was not "Update Tuesday" yet. When that happens then MS scrambles to get the patch out, and gets the news of the needed and available patch out to the computer news organizations.

The virus creators are very fast, and they are clever, and they create a virus utilizing the hole already announced by Microsoft, using Microsoft's details. It is when people who don't get those patches on the day that they are announced that run the risk of being hit by the security issue of that hole. Thus, the virus creators are exploiting from "Day Zero" (the announced date).

So, the obvious answer to the question: "In the event of a Zero Day Virus attack, guess who releases the patch first?" the answer has to be Microsoft. Without the MS announcement, and the obligatory patch, then there is no Zero Day.
      I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
      Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckE View Post
        I am not talking about who can move faster, a large company or a small one, I am only talking about what you brought up with:
        The term "Zero Day Exploit" is where the virus creators dissect the info and patch released by Microsoft on their "Update Tuesday," which is typically the 2nd Tuesday of every month (unless something big has forced their normal release schedule). Microsoft does not tell anybody what holes are found, or what they're working on, until they have a patch already made for it. Those out of sequence security fixes are very rare, and when they do happen it was because someone let the security hole info out before MS either had the patch for it, or it just was not "Update Tuesday" yet. When that happens then MS scrambles to get the patch out, and gets the news of the needed and available patch out to the computer news organizations.

The virus creators are very fast, and they are clever, and they create a virus utilizing the hole already announced by Microsoft, using Microsoft's details. It is when people who don't get those patches on the day that they are announced that run the risk of being hit by the security issue of that hole. Thus, the virus creators are exploiting from "Day Zero" (the announced date).

So, the obvious answer to the question: "In the event of a Zero Day Virus attack, guess who releases the patch first?" the answer has to be Microsoft. Without the MS announcement, and the obligatory patch, then there is no Zero Day.
        I was reacting to your opinion that Microsoft's AntiVirus product might be a nice thing.
        Also, soon, as quoted from Leo LaPorte at techguylabs.com:
        "Microsoft has decided to give away an AntiVirus utility in the near future. It’ll be a complete solution which replaces both an AVS and Spyware catcher. And word is, it’s an excellent utility that’ll get better once out of beta."

When MS comes out with that, they should have (should? who knows?) versions for all their supported operating systems.
        Clearly, it will need to be many times better than 'Windows Defender'! If it is, I'll gladly dunk my paid AntiVirus and AntiSpyware subscription!
        Last edited by WellOiledPC; 04.09.2009, 04:07 PM.
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
          I guess I don't care so much how good support is, just as long as I don't have to use it!
          ROFL -- I second the emotion! I don't trust anyone but me either.
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
          X