No announcement yet.

Usb 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I don't like to break in on your nice little discussion of the latest operating systems but I doubt that it has much to do with the original question.
    The issue was about why an elderly computer designed to handle USB1 could not achieve USB2 speeds, even though a USB2 interface board had been fitted.

The speed of any transfer is always limited by the slowest part of the data path which could be a function of either hardware or software. Just because the path between interface board and accessory can achieve USB2 speeds does not mean that you will achieve that speed all the way from the computer internal memory. To achieve USB2 throughput there were major speed improvements to the bridge architecture within the processor and the chips that handle the PCI bus. There were probably changes to the BIOS too to support the 2 DMA interrupts of USB2 rather than the single one that USB1 needed. Remember that computer hardware speeds were doubling every 18 months, and that is not just the processor. It is all the chips in there.

I would imagine that the necessary upgrades to the operating system for USB2 were already in place in kernel 5.0 (windows 2000) and definitely by 5.1 (Windows XP). So the idea that the changes from 6.0 to 6.1, Vista to Windows 7, will have much effect on USB2 speed does seem pretty unlikely to me.

I think you need to upgrade the computer not the operating system.

Comment

I don't think anyone has to worry about hijacking a thread. This is what I wanted, a diverse response on the topic. Any and all responses are welcome towards solving this problem. I am appreciative of the advice regardless of whether it delivers or not.

Originally posted by matera View Post
      The realistic minimum for Vista is 2G. It would probably crawl like a stomped worm with 512 or less, though your processor makes mine look puny.
      What processor is that?

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      I think you need to upgrade the computer not the operating system.
      I probably have to agree with Mij. Hardware may be great at the time, but is still no match for the pace of technology advancement. Upgrading single components is a far-fetched thought nowadays, especially with prices dropping so much.

So maybe a new computer is in order, even if mine isn't crawling yet. I just wonder if I don't actually need Windows 7, should I install the slimmer XP on a new machine? With its overwhelming popularity, it doesn't look like it will be eliminated for quite awhile.

Can anyone recommend which notebook I should try this time to get faster performance, rather than a new Sony?

Comment

So its settled that Skippybox does not consider this thread hijacked.

If you are looking at a Notebook (as opposed to a Netbook), HP still sells the maximum numbers worldwide, at about 20%. Dell follows, with around 15%. Here is a quick link to some Market Research findings by an Austin, Texas-based MR firm called DisplaySearch, with the tag line, "the worldwide leader in display market research and consulting"... http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde...QNB_SFR_PR.asp I would have preferred IDC's figures, but knowing IDC (I wrote over 250 MR Reports for them, over the 5 years I worked with them!), its not like them to give away free information over the web, in person, over the phone, or any other manner of communication!

My experience with HP has been very, very good too - bettered only by IBM, but then IBM is now Lenovo and the difference definitely shows!!!

Dell is pretty good too - I am currently on a 2 1/2 year-old Dell Latitude, it has never required the services of their Service Center...

None of these will look as good as a Sony, they will not cost as much too! However, I suggest you wait till Windows 7 begins shipping with Notebooks, before getting your new Notebook!
        Last edited by WellOiledPC; 01.09.2009, 06:32 PM.
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Any particular reason to wait? If I buy now, I can try Vista and get a Win7 disc for free when it comes out from the manufacturer.

Actually, I am worried about durability. All the notebooks (even many Sonys) I've looked at seem really flimsy now, whereas my Sony is quite solid from 8 years ago. Part of this is due to cost, but also bigger screen sizes. The Apples have a metal casing which really helps, but obviously I don't want an Apple. Panasonic makes ToughBooks for business, but they are expensive! Am I overreacting, or has anyone broken one of these things?

I know someone who had a Dell, but it died after only 2 1/2 years. Someone else still has a Sony older than mine!

Price may drive sales, so I don't know if that really is something to go on. I would like performance, but does that mean I will have to sacrifice reliability to get it? I guess another brand would be worth it, if I get the same cost/year of ownership out of it, even if didn't last as long.

Comment

I lean toward a particular brand, Dell, and I have had very good luck with them. I have a 3 Dell laptops and at least a half dozen Dell desktops. I have also had Gateway, Sony, HP, and at least a few no-names. Dell no longer has particular good support (they used to be the best ... but, no more) I suppose it is good that I have had very few Dell problems.

For prettiness and what appears to be a very featured laptop I like the HP (which is also Compaq now) and the Sony, but in my experience (I support a number of home users in my area) I have never been happy with the strange issues that seem to happen on those two brands. As for Gateway, I am really dissatisfied with their support and their hardware.

When people ask me what to get, I try to steer them toward Dell, but I also tell them that almost any known brand computer you buy will probably be good, and it is the luck of the draw if it dies early. Also usually, if it lives through the standard warranty period it will probably last as long as you'll need (and I don't suggest extended warranties unless it is, or almost, free). But my biggest recommendation I have, for those people, is to just buy the brand that seems to have all the bells and whistles that you are looking for, for the price you are willing to pay.

Suggestions for bargain, deal, and coupon code discounts - I really recommend gotapex.com and bensbargains.net. Those websites do not sell items, them only give you a "heads up" on currently available deals. (Check often, because many deals are just there for a couple days, then they're gone. In that case, just check tomorrow..

Good luck on anything you buy. By the way, there are deals around, like Skippybox mentioned, that will include a free upgrade to Win7 when it comes out. Dell even has a deal where you buy Vista, and they give you a free "downgrade" for WinXP, PLUS, when Win7 comes out you will get that DVD at that time. So you get 3 operating systems. This is very useful for the small business person who may not know if the apps they're running right now on WinXP will run on Vista, or even Win7 when it come out.
            I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
            Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Thanks for the tips ChuckE. That 3-for-1 OS deal from Dell looks pretty appealing!

Comment

....and when you have installed and mastered all those operating systems you can tell us which one runs the USB fastest. If you still care!

..and then of course there's Linux to try, in all its different flavors...

Comment

Give me time Mij, give me time!

You know, I think I'm already behind trying to buy a new PC, when USB 3.0 is coming out right around the corner.

Comment

USB 3.0, which is supposed to be about 10x the speed of 2.0, (in other words 4.8Gbps!!) is having a bit of a problem with getting through standards and testing.
                    See Google search: usb 3.0 spec

Also, if you are worrying about the cost of a computer, and then, in the next breath suggesting that you want USB 3.0, well, it seems counter-intuitive. Any computer that is going to have USB 3.0 (when and if) then that computer is going to be a high-buck, high performance machine.

For those of you who are counting bps, here is a brief listing of the various interfaces and their theoretical speeds:
                    USB1.1 = 12 Mbps 1.5MB/s
                    FW400 = 400 Mbps 50MB/s
                    USB2.0 = 480 Mbps 60MB/s
                    FW800 = 800 Mbps 100MB/s
                    SCSI160 = 1280 Mbps 160MB/s
                    SATA1 = 1500 Mbps 188MB/s
                    SCSI320 = 2560 Mbps 320MB/s
                    SATA2 = 3000 Mbps 375MB/s
                    USB3.0 = 4800 Mbps 600MB/s
                    HDMI1.2 = 4950 Mbps 619MB/s
                    SATA3 = 6000 Mbps 750MB/s
                    HDMI1.3 = 10200 Mbps 1275MB/s

Comment

I know, I was just being sarcastic. You can't wait for the next technology, you'll be waiting forever.

Thanks for the list.

Comment

I agree with ChuckE - if your Notebook survives the 1-year warranty period - give it a few more months for luck - then its gonna last until you're sick of it! Brand-wise, either hp or Dell are fine. What is more important is, just how good the service center is, both in terms of their ability to fix problems and their ability to do it in time!

Support for brands is quite location-specific! At Singapore, support for Dell was excellent. However in India, Dell's support is almost non-existent, while support for hp, Compaq and Acer are par excellence! Even a day's waiting is intolerable, isn't it, when your Notebook is down?

Compaq Notebooks aren't as rugged as hp in my experience. Though hp bought over Compaq in one of the biggest buy-outs, years ago, they continue to brand differently: apparently, hp is for the business user and Compaq for the home/ small office user.

If you will get Windows 7 free when it is released, you may not want to wait any longer. You will definitely have to invest in AntiVirus and AntiSpyware though, for none of the versions that run under Vista run under Windows 7! Maybe upgrade to Windows 7-compatible versions of some software... Everything else that's important to me, that runs under XP, runs under Windows 7 too, but that's of course no guarantee that your experience will be the same too!

Microsoft has a tool for Application Compatibility - Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit
                        IrfanView Website - Here
                        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                        Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
                          I agree with ChuckE - if your Notebook survives the 1-year warranty period - give it a few more months for luck - then its gonna last until you're sick of it!
                          Don't I know it. I'm driving a 21 year-old Japanese car that I still love. Maybe that's why I seem to stick with Sony. I'm willing to pay a premium upfront if it will give me trouble-free years of service.

What is more important is, just how good the service center is, both in terms of their ability to fix problems and their ability to do it in time!
                          I guess I don't care so much how good support is, just as long as I don't have to use it!

Even a day's waiting is intolerable, isn't it, when your Notebook is down?
                          No, it's not so bad waiting. I just don't like shoddy technicians touching my stuff. I've seen how bad a job can be at the mechanic. Sometimes, you have to basically do the job over again yourself to get it right. Besides, labor and parts are outrageous.

Compaq Notebooks aren't as rugged as hp in my experience. Though hp bought over Compaq in one of the biggest buy-outs, years ago, they continue to brand differently: apparently, hp is for the business user and Compaq for the home/ small office user.
                          I've tried someone's Compaq before and it seems pretty good, but I would lean towards an HP. I've only used HP printers and calculators. But my impression of the brand is mixed. They make very nice equipment, but I'm unsure of the quality. I've seen a bad monitor and print cartridge here and there.

Before Sony, I owned a used Gateway2000 (before they became just Gateway!) with Win95, and that 13 year-old machine still runs today. That has been a very good experience too, but I also have not used it as much, only 6 years, then only once in awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
                            You will definitely have to invest in AntiVirus and AntiSpyware though, for none of the versions that run under Vista run under Windows 7!
                            I have had no problems with my free AVG v8.5 running on WinXP, Vista or Win7.

Also, soon, as quoted from Leo LaPorte at techguylabs.com:
                            "Microsoft has decided to give away an AntiVirus utility in the near future. It’ll be a complete solution which replaces both an AVS and Spyware catcher. And word is, it’s an excellent utility that’ll get better once out of beta."

When MS comes out with that, they should have (should? who knows?) versions for all their supported operating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                              Don't I know it. I'm driving a 21 year-old Japanese car that I still love. Maybe that's why I seem to stick with Sony. I'm willing to pay a premium upfront if it will give me trouble-free years of service.
                              Notebook parts are sourced from a number of suppliers and integrated by the 'Branded' Notebook vendor after 'Quality Checks'. Trouble is, nobody (including the Branded Notebook manufacturer) can be sure that each finished product will turn out to be trouble-free... even if you're willing to pay a premium.

I guess I don't care so much how good support is, just as long as I don't have to use it!
                              Nobody wants to 'test' Support! Its rather like Life Insurance - unpleasant, but good sense!

No, it's not so bad waiting. I just don't like shoddy technicians touching my stuff. I've seen how bad a job can be at the mechanic. Sometimes, you have to basically do the job over again yourself to get it right. Besides, labor and parts are outrageous.
                              Totally agree, except that I want quick service AND excellent service!

I've tried someone's Compaq before and it seems pretty good, but I would lean towards an HP. I've only used HP printers and calculators. But my impression of the brand is mixed. They make very nice equipment, but I'm unsure of the quality. I've seen a bad monitor and print cartridge here and there.
                              As I said, no guarantees are possible here. Fact is though that HP has been world leaders in the Notebooks niche for over 5 years now.

[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by ChuckE View Post
                              I have had no problems with my free AVG v8.5 running on WinXP, Vista or Win7.

Also, soon, as quoted from Leo LaPorte at techguylabs.com:
                              "Microsoft has decided to give away an AntiVirus utility in the near future. It’ll be a complete solution which replaces both an AVS and Spyware catcher. And word is, it’s an excellent utility that’ll get better once out of beta."

When MS comes out with that, they should have (should? who knows?) versions for all their supported operating systems.
                              I doubt whether Microsoft have the same prowess as Symantec, AVG and company, where AntiVirus, AntiSpyware and other nasty things are concerned!

I shy away from Freeware, where Security products are concerned. And, quite OK where most other software products are concerned. Freeware AntiVirus isn't the same as a freeware Image Viewer or a freeware Media Player! In the event of a Zero Day Virus attack, guess who releases the patch first?
                              IrfanView Website - Here
                              Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                              Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC
                                guess who releases the patch first?
                                Simple. MICROSOFT!!

In the area of "Zero Day Exploits" your really can't expect a free anti-virus company to get there that quick, at least not on "day zero." But being "day zero" it is only Microsoft that is going to be "Johnny on the spot" right there on the day that a hole is announced, since it is them that announced the hole - ALONG with the patch for it (MS does not announce a hole without the patch for it). So, the very first line of defense, against any Zero Day exploit, is going to have to be Microsoft and the patches that they announced on that day zero.

It is the virus creators who use the info that Microsoft supplies on Day Zero that then create the viruses to exploit the hole, announced by MS, that are going to immediately follow the trails left by MS. But if you get the critical updates, announced by MS on Day Zero, there is no problem there.

Given that 'breathing room', then using the frequent updates provided by the free anti-virus companies (like AVG or Avast) and you should be adequately protected.

I have a half-dozen computers, and I only use the free AVG, along with the critical MS updates as they are announced, and I can't recall ever getting a virus.

Comment

Working...
                                X