This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to install ghostscript

hi...i m a novice in this field...i downloaded d required ghostscript for irfan viewing...but it is a .php extension...how to open it and install it...plz help...

If its a *.php extension then you haven't downloaded the installation fille. Try again and make sure you right-click on the download link, and use Save target as…
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

PHP extension sometimes gets assigned by web browsers, while the downloaded file may be perfectly valid. Check the size and contents. A web page returned in error will usually be in range of 1-150 kB. If all checks out, just rename the file to *.exe or *.zip.

Comment

AFPL Ghostscript

See here:

(Click on the picture, to go to the download site!)

Importantly - depending on the operating system of your computer you must decide between
        the 32Bit- or the 64Bit- exe!
        And to install ghostscript, run your selected exe (32-bit or 64-bit) of AFPL Ghostscript!
        To minimize possible problems, I have installed AFPL Ghostscript before IrfanView!

See also: "problem reading pdf files?"
        Or search in the forum with the keyword: Postscript

regards
        Frank

Last edited by Frank; 01.02.2009, 02:18 AM. Reason: modifikation

Comment

j7n -- not everyone knows how to check the contents of a file...or even how to rename it

The ghostscript installer should be over 12MB. Sometimes a download manager (a separate program that the browser passes the link to) is the problem, but if none is installed, the browser may be at fault. Most of the time it is best to simply left-click on a download link and let things take their course. Some links require a lot of extra action on the other end -- it is useless to right-click and "save as" because that will get a web page, not the desired file.

One good reason to have more than one web browser installed is that if one messes up a download repeatedly, you can try the other one.

Now and then I get a download quicker than I should, and when I check the so-called .zip or .exe file, it turns out to be the download page. Sometimes it is saved as .php too.
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
            Sometimes a download manager (a separate program that the browser passes the link to) is the problem, but if none is installed, the browser may be at fault.
            Pardon me, but from what I know, it's the server's fault - sending wrong headers. There's nothing browser can do if it get's the file with wrong headers, really.

One good reason to have more than one web browser installed is that if one messes up a download repeatedly, you can try the other one.
            Opera is enough

Now and then I get a download quicker than I should, and when I check the so-called .zip or .exe file, it turns out to be the download page. Sometimes it is saved as .php too.
            As I said - 99% (or maybe 100%?) is caused by wrong headers sent by server.

Comment

Originally posted by Mori View Post
              Opera is enough
              Agreed. Right-click and "Save Linked Content As…" seems to work fine for me at SourceForge.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Funny that just a couple days ago I have started to encounter these "php" downloads (Opera 8.5). Don't remember now from what server. Probably the administrator has only tested his site with Explorer, which is known to analyze file contents and guess the extension.

Comment

I think I need help at an even more basic level than most people! I found the AFPL version 8.54 that it seems form reading is the best one to work with Irfanview 4.23, clicked it and downloaded a ZIP file to my desktop. I opened the folder, but could not find anything inside that looked like an installation procedure. What do I do at this point?

Comment

If you've chosen the gs854os2.zip, then it sounds like you have got the no-install zip. You should be able to simply unzip it to the directory of your choice and no more is necessary.

If you somehow got the gs854src.zip, you don't want that, it is the source.

If you are looking for an actual program to install instead, try the gs854w32.exe for 32-bit Windows or gs854w64.exe for 64-bit.

But, read this first. You don't necessarily need AFPL 8.54 for IrfanView 4.23.

Comment

Thanks. The first page on the Sourceforge site only seemed to have Download as an option. It was only after I clicked the version names on the left side that I saw the .exe files. Now I need to figure out whether I have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

Comment

I don't know your OS, but generally you can find out by doing one of the following:
                        • In any folder, click Help>About Windows
                        • Right click My Computer, choose Properties
                        • From the Command Prompt, type VER
                        • Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information

Comment

Working...
                        X