No announcement yet.

Not having to click at thumbs-panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ment the Windows viewer for pictures and faxes. When I browse a folder with large images -say 3000x2000 pixels- using the Windows viewer (with the making of Thumbs.db set to off) it takes much longer to build up the images than IrfanView does. Leaving the Windows viewer needs two keys (AltĀ»F4). IrfanView just one (Esc).

When using IrfanView to browse trough folders I use 150x150 with Resample set to off. On a screen resolution of 1280x1024. My system has a Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz CPU and an old fasioned AGP Matrox G550 as graphical hardware.

Comment

I still don't understand why the thumb database has an effect on the speed of the viewer, unless the thumbs are finishing being rendered before the image is. I tried it, but I couldn't tell easily. Like I said, the Windows Viewer is slow, so it's more a matter of how slow! I don't usually use the viewer anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me. But, I did find it interesting how browsing is so fast with it, even if the image takes forever to come up. I think the Windows Viewer resamples for viewing and zooming, so it is slower in that respect as well. One thing I get quite often is the Drawing failed message. Do you know why? I don't remember this using Windows XP Gold.

I try to use the 50x50 or the 100x100 thumbnails in IrfanView. Resample makes little difference in speed, but I leave it off anyway. I'm running my VAIO with a 1 GHz Mobile AMD Athlon 4 processor, 256MB RAM, and an ATI RAGE MOBILITY-M1 AGP 8MB. Any problems? But, I access files on a 3.5" 7200RPM HDD over USB1.

Comment

Viewers aside, I was really just talking about how slow the IV Thumb window is. Windows is probably better than FastStone or XnView, as these programs are kind of slow loading.

I agree, IrfanView Thumbs do look pretty good and have better support, too! I just wish they would load faster, that's all.
        Last edited by Skippybox; 12.09.2008, 09:36 PM.

Comment

IrfanView to render a database

Exactly! I didn't mension the Drawing failed message, because I didn't guess the English phrase for it (on my Dutch system). It's an indication though, that the Windows viewer is not as fast as IrfanView. I don't know exactly how and when the thumbnails are created. Logical after reading the file header. Then a routine is to be started to reduce the pixels and to save this as a thumbnail file. The next time the folder is to be browsed, only the thumbnails will be loaded from database, so they are shown almost at once on screen.

I wouldn't vote for IrfanView building a database automaticly as other viewers do. And -as I said- I don't like the way Windows puts a Thumbs.db in every folder. But I'm not totaly against thumbnail-databases. I could imagine IrfanView having a button or rather a short key to add some folders of my own choice to a thumnail-database which I could have created my own path for (say on another disk or partition). ACDSee Pro has an option to exclude folders to be added to the database, but I don't find this a pretty workable choice.

Is your Vaio really USB1? Can't imagine that. If so, that should be the reason the acces to extern drives is slow on your system. Or is it any USB-HUB that may cause this slowness? Or maybe there's a USB2 driver to be installed for your system.

Comment

U S B

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
            ...the Drawing failed message...It's an indication though, that the Windows viewer is not as fast as IrfanView.
            I'm not sure how that could be. Once you get the message the image is never displayed until you make another input. Like I said, I think an update changed this, because it always worked without failure in the beginning of XP.

An optional database sound appealing.

Is your Vaio really USB1? Can't imagine that. If so, that should be the reason the acces to extern drives is slow on your system. Or is it any USB-HUB that may cause this slowness? Or maybe there's a USB2 driver to be installed for your system.
            Yes, my VAIO is USB1, because it is from 2001, close to the time XP debuted. While access is slow, that is a constant in my comparison between IrfanView and Windows Explorer building thumbnails. Somehow, Windows is still faster, despite USB1. I am not using a hub. I tried USB2, but I haven't had success with it. Read USB2.0

Comment

Working...
            X