Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Not having to click at thumbs-panels

Hello,
    When I start Faststone Image Viewer I can have two panels: one on the left for the directory-tree and one on the right for the thumbnails. When I move my mousepointer above the left panel I can scroll without first having to click on one of the drives or folders. When I move the mousepointer above the right panel I can scroll trough the thumbnails without first having to click on one of the thumbs. Some webpages support the same handy ‘novelty’. Like this one for instance (first click on the nr. 1 issue at the left panel).
    I'd like to come across this option in a future version of IrfanView's thumbs mode.

I would vote for that.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Sorry, Sjef, I am a bit confused. Is it "Hot Track" that you are referring to where the items are underlined or change color as you move the cursor over them? I cannot see any automatic scrolling (which is what I was expecting) on either Faststone or your linked website.

Comment

Mij -- What he is describing is that the focus follows the mouse. In the IV thumb viewer, the focus is on whichever panel has been clicked on. Moving the cursor to the other side does not automatically put the focus on that side so that it can be scrolled. That behavior is common, but the focus-follows-cursor action is preferred by some. It would be nice if the thumb window behaved that way.

Interestingly, while using Tweakui (a Windows tweaking tool) to change overall mouse behavior does change the focus in some multi-panel programs, it seems to have a very bad effect on IrfanView. The focus does not change in the thumb window, and when a drive or folder is clicked it brings the viewer window forward. Very disturbing! Anybody else want to experiment with that?
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Focus follows mouse in IrfanView

Thanks for your explanation in real English, Matera
          I use TweakUI from Windows 95 to quick and easy editing the Registry. I did ever experiment with the X-mouse option, but it's only consuming time to my opinion. It's not working in IrfanView's thumbnail mode as you mensioned.

As a contrast I use DeskPins to pinpoint my Notepad when I want to quick-note some words or data (and this message). I have automatized it to an empty text file in my QuickLaunch bar and I find this ‘always on top’ option very handy at this kind of use.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes, nice explanation Matera. That would indeed be useful.
            I often use the arrow keys to scroll in other windows but almost never in Thumbview. I must have learned to avoid it at some time past but had quite forgotten why.

Comment

Just focus!

I don't think this is so much a software problem, as it is a hardware problem. On my notebook, I don't experience the lack of scrolling as I move between panes. My touchpad seems to give panes focus and lets me scroll them. When I try a traditional mouse (which I am assuming everyone is using here), the mouse is not given such focus.

Both though require clicking the window to get you started. This is the difference between the approaches of Faststone and IrfanView. Faststone provides everything in one window, but IV separates images from thumbnails. With my set-up, X-mouse is quite useful moving between windows and the touchpad is good for focus. While X-Mouse is good much of the time for window focus, it can be irritating some of the time. Tweak UI's X-Mouse seems to work more on programs than windows. Since IV Thumbs is actually the same program, just a different window, it has a hard time deciding what to do.

Your mouse focus idea is good nonetheless. However, it does open the issue of the keyboard's focus. If the mouse has the focus, what happens if a user switches to the keyboard? Should he have to look for the mouse's placement first?

In Faststone, the mouse does determine the keyboard's focus, and thus a keyboard input will command the pane containing the pointer. In IV Thumbs with a mouse, the keyboard controls the thumbnail pane initially, unless the folder tree was clicked on, regardless of where the pointer is. Even after switching windows, the thumbnail pane gets focus again, even if the folder pane had focus from a previous clicking.

On my notebook this is all different. In IV, scrolling focus is in the pane where the pointer is at, but the keyboard uses the last clicked pane (thumbnail pane initially), and gives that pane keyboard focus, until I leave that window. Returning, the keyboard focus is given to the thumbnail pane again. With X-Mouse enabled, the behavior gets stranger. Despite giving the IV window focus (even clicking on it), the keyboard insists on commanding the window that had an item clicked last. For example, if a folder in the folder tree was clicked and then the IV title bar was clicked on or hovered to, using the down key will not scroll the image, but will choose the next folder! Clicking the image gives the key focus though.

I like this setup very much, because I can use X-mouse if I want to quickly choose a window, I can scroll with my touchpad anywhere without clicking panes, and use the keyboard where I may have clicked last. And neither the touchpad or keyboard, interferes with each other. But of course, X-Mouse isn't really compatible.

I'm open to options though.

Comment

Notebooks are a very different animal. No good comparing them with mice. It is a software problem on normal hardware.
                Its: Belongs to "It"
                It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                ---------------------
                Lose: Fail to keep
                Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

But what about what I said about keyboard focus and the mouse?

Comment

Keyboard focus in IrfanView Thumbnails mode doesn't work the ‘normal’ way. The Tab key is normally the standard key to switch between panels etc., but in IrfanView it's the switch between Thumbnails mode and View mode in both Windowed and Full screen mode (a typical IV deviation, which I like) Try it out and see what I mean. No other viewer uses this methode.

My question about mouse focussing is based on a normal PC-system, but it should work on a laptop (using a mouse) as well. This focussing looks like the Windows focus (see attachment in Dutch language) in Configuration»Folder options.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I agree that the thumbviewer would become easier to use if one could scroll with the mousewheel without clicking first.

I have not worked much at a laptop, but my current impression is that Windows grants focus automatically as it is assumed that clicking with a touchpad is difficult (to say the least) – mode for computers "with disabilities". I recall this happens in many windows, not just IrfanView.

Comment

Actually, I was referring to the where the keyboard would have focus when the mouse has focus. Should the focus be synchronized or should they retain their own?

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                        ...in IrfanView it's the switch between Thumbnails mode and View mode in both Windowed and Full screen mode. Try it out and see what I mean. No other viewer uses this methode.
                        Yes, that is neat. But, why in Fullscreen mode does the IV Thumb window disappear, after you give it focus, move through the thumbnails with the arrow keys and pause?

My question about mouse focussing is based on a normal PC-system, but it should work on a laptop (using a mouse) as well. This focussing looks like the Windows focus (see attachment in Dutch language) in Configuration»Folder options.
                        Yes, a mouse on a laptop should work exactly like a mouse on a desktop. And changing a mouse's behavior in a program, shouldn't affect a touchpad's behavior (at least I don't think). I uploaded an English version of your attachment. You must be referring to the way Windows selects items and underlines titles when it detects the mouse hovering.

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                        I agree that the thumbviewer would become easier to use if one could scroll with the mousewheel without clicking first.

I have not worked much at a laptop, but my current impression is that Windows grants focus automatically as it is assumed that clicking with a touchpad is difficult (to say the least) – mode for computers "with disabilities". I recall this happens in many windows, not just IrfanView.
                        Yes, it would be easier. Using the touchpad does require some skill, and is difficult in the beginning. Eventually, though you can get very good at manipulating it through its abundance of features (more than mouse it seems), like tapping. However, the mouse does have better control IMO.

Focus is probably given in many windows with the touchpad, but one can take that for granted.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Tab key is the switch between View mode en Thumbs mode

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                          Actually, I was referring to the where the keyboard would have focus when the mouse has focus. Should the focus be synchronized or should they retain their own?
                          When you start the Thumbs mode, the keyboard focus is always on the thumbs panel. Mouse-focussing on the folder tree panel shouldn't have anything to do with the keyboard focus. No need to synchronize.

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                          Yes, that is neat. But, why in Fullscreen mode does the IV Thumb window disappear, after you give it focus, move through the thumbnails with the arrow keys and pause?
                          Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                            When you start the Thumbs mode, the keyboard focus is always on the thumbs panel. Mouse-focussing on the folder tree panel shouldn't have anything to do with the keyboard focus. No need to synchronize.
                            But in FastStone Image Viewer, keyboard focus is synchronized with mouse focus. Are you saying that you don't want that in IrfanView? You just want mouse focus separate from keyboard focus?

Tab key--------------

Sorry, I bet that was confusing.

When the IV Viewer is in Fullscreen mode, the IV Thumb window loses focus after:
                            1. you give the Thumb window focus with the Tab key
                            2. then move through some thumbnails with the arrow keys
                            3. and stop for about a second.

The Thumb window also loses focus when the IV Viewer is in Fullscreen mode just by:
                            • moving the pointer in the Thumb pane, if it was outside the pane when the window was given focus
                            • moving the pointer out of the Thumb pane and then back in the Thumb pane, if the pointer had been in the pane when the window was given focus
                            • moving the pointer around in the Thumb pane, if the pointer had been in the pane when the window was given focus

These conditions occur both with my mouse and touchpad. And I don't have X-Mouse enabled, either. What is causing this? Is it normal?
                            Last edited by Skippybox; 05.09.2008, 11:02 PM. Reason: Changed observations

Comment

Resident touchpad confuses IrfanView

Still don't see what you mean by keyboard focus. When the Faststone window is active, I can't switch between Tumbs- and Tree panel using the keyboard, because the Tab key won't work.

Now I see why you're so tenacious about that ‘focus’ issue. It must be rather annoying not be able to view and scroll the way it should. I don't suffer from the things you describe. Also not on my laptop.

There must be something in your memory that confuses your mouse behavior in IrfanView. You could start with temporary shutting off your touchpad. To be found in START » Run » msconfig.exe » Start (restart your system after the uncheck).

On my laptop (HP) I don't have the troubles you described eighter, with or without the touchpad switched on and browsing with the arrow keys, Tab key and the Enter key (or using the mouse).

If shutting off your touchpad is solving your problem, IMO it's the touchpad driver that maybe isn't up to date or not for 100% compatible/state of the art.

Comment

Working...
                              X