Google Chrome browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Chrome browser

Get more done with the new Google Chrome. A more simple, secure, and faster web browser than ever, with Google’s smarts built-in. Download now.

It is getting mixed reviews. I don't like it, right from the start. It installs very rudely. Over sixty megabytes, and in a place I would not put anything if I had a choice.

C:\Documents and Settings\Matera the Mad\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Good grief.
    That is why it can install in any luser account with no permission problems -- kissing Microsoft's _____ with a deeply buried mess.

The interface is not too bad, not cluttered. If you like compulsory spell-checking...(UGH!) The speed is no better than many other browsers. Maybe it is good compared to IE, but I don't use that thing.

I will stick with K-Meleon for everyday use. It is fast without being arrogant.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

I despise the way how it installs, so I won't even be testing the program in operation. I clicked the download link and it returned a 500k "google update" program which supposedly downloads the real thing from the internet. This deceptive approach I cannot trust; it is no better than Microsoft's update sticking MSIE7 up everybody's ____.

Can the browser be made portable once it has been installed? Or would it connect to the internet every now and then to update itself?

Decided to try it on a virtual machine running Win2k. Unfortunately, Google Chrome does not support your version of Windows. I don't understand, why would a HTML client require WinXP SP2.

Besides, there is no need for yet another web browser.
    Last edited by j7n; 03.09.2008, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the warning. I'm not even going to try it.
      I have a growing irritation about Google. They have chosen the same direction as M$.
      Wanting to control every aspect of the inet.
      Be a nice search machine for all kinds of things, but don't push me to change from browser.
      Imo Google has integrated itself in several applications already far too much.
      Even with FireFox, after an install, I'll have to disable all kinds of services pushed by Google first.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

The interesting aspect of this browser are the new ideas that power it, as the V8 virtual machine for the JavaScript (so that it can run at a decent speed, as many other interpreted languages like Python and PHP) and its real garbage collection. The separation of the browser in multiple processes can be a good solution for some problems, but I'm not very convinced: in Unix-like systems many processes are not a problem, since they are very lightweight, but on Windows a process is quite a heavy object.
        Nothing new under the hood about rendering: it just uses WebKit. Also the "new" address bar seems to me very similar to the address bar of Firefox 3.
        Shame on the distribution method: the profile directory isn't definitely the place where the executables must be put. If they wanted to let everyone try it they could just distribute a zip without any installer.
        The nice thing is that it's all open-source, so in Firefox 4 I think we'll have V8 and other code taken from Google Chrome.
        Anyhow my real fear is that Google, making it its own browser stop supporting Mozilla, that depends a lot from its donations.
        IrfanPaint developer
        The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
        IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Ok, so I'm typing this message from Chrome ... or so I think it is

I downloaded a 11.5MB file from http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/s...romium-rel-xp/

My comments:
          Fortunately downloading the file from the link above does not force one to install this in some place we normally putting nothing in! The first time I got it, I cursed as I watched Google pollute my PC! It still dumps user data in that Local settings folder!

I normally use a portable version of FF and hence was surprised that Chrome gave me no choice to import bookmarks from FF. More surprising was that it just does not let a user import bookmarks from an html file.

Still with bookmarks, where the hell does Chrome save our bookmarks? Why don't the let us organize the bookmarks the way we want??? I know one can drag and drop, but come on, how do I drag all the bookmarks from my links folder at one time and dump it on to the "bookmarks bar"?

Spell check ... I know some things don't make it to the dictionary and hence would be pulled up, but come on ... some technical words related to IT has got to exempted! Words like XP, html, xml, plugin, etc. all get caught by the spell check!

Text boxes ... really nice to see that it can be dragged and made bigger!

Tabs ... really don't like them on top, but then, I guess with time options will be provided.

Mouse Gestures ... thats another thing I miss!

Would like to have online bookmarks and am surprised they have not implemented it into the initial betas as they had a working plugin with FF2.

Comment

I've been playing with Chrome for a couple of days now. In some ways, it's quite crude. In others, sophisticated... And there are problems to be fixed, features to add.

But V8 does deliver: Google Docs is quite usable in Chrome. GMail can be POPed by Opera (which doubles as an email client). Indeed, such applications likely prompted the browser project... (I wonder how well it will run on a really thin client?)

Perhaps I require less of bookmarks than others. But I find bookmark-bar folders that can be "launched" an intuitive boon.
            "Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber

Comment

Hey,

One more thing is google toolbar.

Chrome is not supporting Google toolbar. We should wait till better and updated version of it.
              Sam Thomas
              Live life in Charleston SC, USA

Comment

I really hated it within the first 10 minutes of use. I am no computer genius so what I say might seem a bit obscure but a forum I am a moderator of immediately had all of its main headings changed!
                I could not any more for example see who was online as I used to be able to, nor did it have a heading for new posts from the past 24 hours!!
                I couldn`t believe this had happened just because I had changed browser to Chrome! Sure enough as soon as I removed it things reverted to normal.
                I also really hated the bookmark/favourites arrangement.
                Neither was I impressed with the tabs at the top of the page.

Anyway as I said 10 minutes of use and I HATED it!

Comment

Lots of reputable industry watchers too have blown their fuses at Chrome. At WellOiledPC, we have reviewed 14 Browsers, with detailed reviews of each, including Chrome.
                  Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
                  IrfanView Website - Here
                  Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                  Author's Website - Here

Comment

Chrome?

I think Chrome is getting better reviews today.

Main reason why I enjoy it is pure speed. From boot up to normal browsing, I believe Chrome is the quickest.

I am interested to know what Irfan people think about cloud computing, and the upcoming Chrome OS. Is Irfan planning for this? Will there be an Irfan on the cloud?

Interesting.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

[Note: I know I'm coming to the thread late in the game, but still want to share my two cents on Chrome]

Chris, I'm not sure that I find Chrome any quicker than other popular browsers out there, but I do like the address bar/search feature (I think Firefox may have it now?), where you can type something in and it automatically goes to search. Also, how you can search sites after just typing in part of their address then pressing tab, that makes things so much easier for me when I'm doing research

I think it takes a while to customise the browser though, it feels like more of an effort with Chrome than it does with Firefox or Safari. And the Download Manager thing gets to me as well. Still, I guess you take the good with the bad, don't you?
                      Editor at www.software.com - software news, reviews, downloads and discounts.

Comment

Hi,

I'm using it and I'm really satisfied with Chrome's speed and stability!

Stefan

Really like the inbuild pdf viewer!

Comment

see the thread: "various internet browsers for windows"

Try also Google Chrome Canary build or Chromium!
                          See the website GoogleWatchBlog!

Comment

Working...
                          X