Right Mouse Action Inside Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Right Mouse Action Inside Selection

Would be nice to have right mouse button menu even when clicked *inside* previously marked region. Its more than usual trick with me in all programs ...

Thank you

This request is not feasible since the right-mouse is used to move the selection.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It's not an unreasonable request. Geon has presumably checked "Use right mouse button for context menu" in Misc1 so that he can use that button for a context menu instead of dragging the image when he is outside a selection. So why can he not have a context menu instead of dragging the selection when he is inside it?

Comment

It could be useful...
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I have always hated the non-intuitive controls and command keys of IV. IV is a great product, and overall I use it constantly, but to use a right mouse click to move a selection area is nearly the epitome of other non-sensical selections. Right mouse clicks are, in almost all other applications, a menued selection of alternate actions, (like what geon is asking for) definitely not something to do a oh-so-limited selected area movement, as it is now, within IV.

Given my druthers, I would prefer that a shifted-left mouse click be used to "shift" (move) a selected area, and also use the ctrl-left mouse click to swell/shrink a selected area, keeping the same H&V ratio. But then again, that's me.

Right now, either a shift- or a ctrl- any-mouse click does nothing different than any unaltered same-mouse click. And that is a pity.

If only we had a voice in the re-thinking of the next major release of IV. Oh well, back to my dream world ....
          I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
          Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            So why can he not have a context menu instead of dragging the selection when he is inside it?
            Because then users would not be able to move a selection. The right mouse is already assigned to that function inside a selection.
            Originally posted by Chuck
            If only we had a voice in the re-thinking of the next major release of IV. Oh well, back to my dream world ....
            Being able to customise the keyboard shortcuts in a future version is feasible, I'm not so sure about being able to customise mouse clicks too. How hard would that be, even if users want it?

Anyway guys, dream on if you want, but IMO this is not a feasible request.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13.09.2008, 05:06 AM.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

But I was not asking for a user defined customization of commands and mouse-clicks.
              In fact, I don't even like them. If only because once you have personalized commands, the ability to instruct or talk someone through a set of actions, it becomes that much more difficult when you can't be sure what commands exist for that "other person."

Whereas, when commands are set, and you always know what to expect for the commands that are always there, the ease of instructing is much simpler.

Taking it back to the right mouse click, and where most applications use that to bring up a selection of other commands, it is IV that chooses to deviate and use that right mouse click to move the selected area. That is a problem, in my opinion.

Comment

I am really very new so its against my nature to offer or ask for something when I contribute nothing. But this time I cant stand it.

Because then users would not be able to move a selection. The right mouse is already assigned to that function inside a selection.
                What if, in Options, I can choice much more intuitive (read as more usual, more standard) at least for me:

* left button: move
                * middle button: zoom
                * right button: menu

Comment

The right-mouse menu is called the "Context-sensitive menu." Most keyboards have a key dedicated to this function — it is between the right Control Key and the right Windows key (but is not used by IrfanView). When the mouse pointer is inside the selection the context menu does not apply to the selection. What applies is to move the selection.

Each user has different preferences and finds different shortcuts "intuitive" or "logical" depending on which applications they are most familiar with. There are very few standards for Irfan to follow here. Changing the current shortcuts to suit one or two users will confuse several million other users so it won't be done unless there is a very good reason. Note that the context menu on the right mouse button is an option, not the default behaviour of IrfanView.

The best option IMO is to make the interface as customisable as possible. This would create significant problems for support, but it is the best solution for users. Opera does allow me to customise right-click menus for each different context.

Implementing full customisability makes far more sense than changing the existing behaviour for all users. Long-term users are very resistant to changes in the behaviour they have learnt from prolonged use.
                  Originally posted by geon View Post
                  What if, in Options, I can choice much more intuitive (read as more usual, more standard) at least for me:

* left button: move
                  * middle button: zoom
                  * right button: menu
                  There are already far too many options. What if someone else wants to use middle button for move, left button for zoom, and right button for the menu?

We need only one more option — the option to customise the interface however the user wants.
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13.09.2008, 07:35 AM.

Comment

There are already far too many options.
                    You are definitely right. So many choices I might never seen. You cant say Yes to every users proposal, agreement. You should know better that me what is possible, what is better for all. Thanks for you work.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                      Changing the current shortcuts to suit one or two users will confuse several million other users so it won't be done unless there is a very good reason. Note that the context menu on the right mouse button is an option, not the default behaviour of IrfanView.
                      I would agree with you more readily Bhikkhu if I believed that several million users actually use the right click menu option in IrfanView. I am sure that having to give up a useful feature like dragging the image in exchange for a very uninspired context menu deters most users from ever selecting that option.
                      I cannot recall any requests to change what is on the menu or to make it truly context sensitive. Why some of the (single set of) options are there is a mystery to me. I find it hard to imagine that in the middle of browsing images I will suddenly lose my knowledge of the English language and need to change to German!
                      That is why I think that supporting this request, which I agree would require the provision of an alternative way to drag a selection, might be a route to introducing useful context menus into IV.

Comment

If the drag selection used the left mouse button when the right mouse button is used for the context menu, would it still be used for zooming when the right mouse button was used for dragging? Shouldn't the left mouse then be used for dragging in both cases, and the right mouse used for zooming?

The context menu is way too long — as you say there is no way it needs the change language option. If it was truly context sensitive, it could be a lot simpler with the edit options only available inside the selection, and different options available over the toolbar, status line, image, or window.

Comment

I like the idea of having it ALL!
                          When having a selected area within an image:
                          • Left-click = zoom into the selected area (that's the way it is now)
                          • Right-click = context sensitive menu (for what you can do with that selected area. Right now the menu appears only outside the selected area, if you have that option set in "Misc. 1")
                          • Shift+left-click = drag selection area around (as what the current right-click does)
                          • Ctrl+left-click = allow the selection box to grow or shrink per the direction of the drag, keeping the same H&V ratios.

Notice, I did not make any Shift or Ctrl right-click options. That's because most other applications use the right-click for some context sensitive menu (as I included here). For IV to use a right-click for dragging the selection box is just too weird.

Comment

My suggestion would be to keep the default option exactly as it is (warts and all) and just add Shift+right click for the context menu. That should keep the majority happy.
                            Then the alternative would have plain right click for context menu and use "shift+" clicks for dragging and zooming, to keep (most of) the rest of us happy.

Comment

Working...
                            X