Slide Show Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slide Show Program

Greetings! What digital slide show program do you use if you need more than the SlideShow in Irfanview?

I loved (and own) AlbumGV (Album Generator and Viewer by xydot.com), which seems to be unsupported now. There is a free version and trial version still available from the download sites. The light table works great, you are able to select transitions, able to control timing by slide, and control background music. This is a good program, one version away from being great. There seems to be a memory leak on large slideshows and a few issues with adding MP3s. Other than that great. I have tried Nero, Adobe, Coral, and several others. They are better organizers than light table/slide show programs. If you just want a nice slideshow creator, what do you use?

hootowls

Hi Hootowls. When I want to create a nice slideshow I use ProShow Producer. The options in the present version (3) are allmost endless. Masking (import PSD's with masks), multi-layering (unlimited per slide), Custom backgrounds, Adjustment effects, chroma key transparency, drop shadow, zooming control (at imported foto & video), caption textures, caption motion effects, many, many transitions. Output: avi, wmv, HD video, QuickTime, Flash (FLV) and exe. Also 16:9 widescreen. I can't show you all these options, but see the tiny little demo in the attachment.

Comment

I've been using Pictures to EXE for some years now. A very nice program which I'm satisfied with. Available here: http://www.wnsoft.com/
      Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever?

Comment

I knew the program and I found it on my system. A long time ago I've used it for a short period. It appeared to be version 1 . I downloaded Pictures2EXE 5 via your link and installed the program. After the start, I had to search (in Danish) to the option 'languages' before I could switch to Dutch. Nice program! Looks very much like ProShowGold 1. Not too many options, easy to work with and not as time-consuming as Proshow Producer. Thanks for this tip.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you!!

Thank you - This is just the kind of help I needed. A place to start.

ProShow Producer looks wonderful, but the price of $250 is too rich for me. There is a Gold Version ($70) and Standard ($30) version. I will download the trial version of the Gold and try it.

PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.0 is $59 and includes VideoBuilder to burn slide shows on DVD-Video discs. There is a Standard edition — $39. The forum gives links to some truly artistic slide shows showing wonderful transitions and control. The support forum is well done also...

I realized for most slide shows I make, Irfanview works fine. The feature I am missing is the light-table. The Thumbnail function (Irfanview) allows sorting many different ways, but to tell a story you have to sort by hand. Would this be a good feature request?

Thank you again,
          Hootowls

Comment

To tell a story on a slide show, you allways have to sort by hand. In many slide show applications you can drag 'n drop slides to a specified row within the interface. IrfanView -as it has just a very simple GUI- obligates you to number your slides. Not so bad in the end.

Comment

Any other suggestions???

Are there any other favorite slide show programs? Cnet and tucows have many more to download trial versions. Many of the trial versions only support 10 or so images, which really makes it hard to judge.

The site Top Ten Reviews

Ranks the top three as:
              CD & DVD PictureShow 4 Deluxe $30.
              ProShow 2.6 $30.
              DVD SlideShow Builder $50.

After Reading forums and blogs for several hours tonight, the favorite is ProShow Gold with PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.0 as a close second. The favorite for web based albums is Show It - http://www.showitfast.com. These 3 name showed up over and over on the photo/digital photo sites (at least the ones I saw).

Thank you again for the suggestions,
              Hootowls
              Last edited by Hootowls; 29.07.2007, 01:49 AM. Reason: Adding more information...

Comment

Keep in mind that IrfanView is free. So with IV you get very much for no money at all. Indeed ProShow can produce very nice slideshows, but there are still other reasons I've used IrfanView to make slideshows of all my 5000 scanned holiday dia's. In a IV-slideshow you can pause and browse without disturbing the play-continuety of added music files.

Last but certainly not least: all slideshow programs spoil the sharpness of your pictures. The moving-possibilities (such as zooming) put a disastrous blurring-curtain over them! As for the transition effects, it's truth IV only provides one (Alpha blending), but your pictures stays sharp! And that is the main thing I would think.

Editing your foto's (dimensions & jpg-compression) can reduce your shows to smoother web producing. To handle your slideshows on the CD or DVD you could compose your own menu with programs like AutoPlay Menu Studio. I still use the free version 2.0.

An alternative for the web is to load your foto's in MS-PowerPoint (Pps-format). Everyone can view pps files using the free downloadable Powerpoint Viewer.

Comment

Music to slideshow

I want to add music to a slideshow,but can't figure it out.

Comment

Put (a) music file(s) into the folder with slideshow images. In the IrfanView slideshow dialog select 'All files' on the 'File type' field. You can move up the music file with the move up button, or rename the music file in the image folder to (for example) 000music.mp3. Succes!

Comment

okay,mp3 file first.Slideshow plays great with music background.Partial success.Now I attempt to save file as *.exe.Done.Now click on *.exe.Slideshow begins,jpg's start showing.No music[The JPG's play through to the end,with no music].Error message.The specified file cannot be played on the specified MCI device...The file is not corrupt,it plays fine inside of Irfanview,just not as an .exe..Just to be clear,If I open IView,go to File>Slideshow,the previous list is still there in the slideshow dialogue box.If I chose Play,the slideshow works fine including background music.But if I double-click the same list saved as an .exe,I get the error message.

Comment

Slideshow Purchase

I downloaded ProShow Gold for the 15 day trial. It is a fully functional trial only placing a watermark over the slideshows created. I liked it better than any other slideshow program I have been able to try and purchased it.

I found it to be one of those programs you can use quickly without reading the documentation, but it has great depth when you read forums and tutorials. I have found a few minor issues, but no bugs. The only real downside with the program is image sorting. It does have a light table mode, but the images are too small for my old eyes. I use Irfanview to select images, and then move them to folders by where I want that image to appear in the show. Adding music/sound is simple. Almost 200 transitions. Titles are easy and can be as simple or complex as you wish. The layer function really adds a polished look to any show. Creates shows to exe, dvd, cvd, maybe to ten different formats. All I have used worked easily and well.

Nice forum:

Thank you for everyone's help with this purchase,
                        hootowls

Comment

Hello Hootowls,
                          Glad that you're satisfied with Proshow Gold. I hope you have great fun with this diashow program. Here's a little example of an exe-file (3Mb), created with the Gold version. And here is a PDF of Proshow Producer which you maybe not have seen. Greetings

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for the links. I lucked into the documentation before I purchased and read most of it (please don't tell anyone!!). From your show, I can see your passion. Fun show!

I spent a couple of very happy hours making a transparent *.png image of a swain and using layers making it move across a lake. Turned out truly amazing. Won't take any time at all next time.

I am making my second show now and fighting hard not to use every bell and whistle and trying to remember the image/story is what is important. I am limited only by my imagination.

hootowls

Comment

Working...
                            X