JPEGS save in greytones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JPEGS save in greytones

Why is it that recently if I make any change to a photo- rotate it, reduce size or whatever, it will not just save as what I'm seeing on screen but reduces it to greytones? I could not even reduce a photo for an avatar to put here (it was 600+ pixels wide) and when I reduced to 100, it appeared as greytones. This has only started happening in the past month. I used to love Irfanview and tell everyone it is the best way to view and do simple edits, but this issue is a royal PAIN!

No problem at all. It sounds like somehow you chose the option Save as grayscale JPG (please remember!). Note the reminder.

In the Save as dialog, click Show options dialog at the bottom and uncheck the option Save as grayscale JPG. Unless you actually save something, changing the settings won't be preserved for the next time. You could though edit the configuration file, if you want the settings to be saved immediately, but you have nothing to save and want it done now.

It's a good idea to leave the options dialog open all the time to remind yourself of how you are saving.
    Last edited by Skippybox; 19.09.2008, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks- I feel so silly!

It's my bad eyesight. the grey must have been a default last time I upgraded and I did not pay attention to the options box because text is small as I always just got a WYSIWYG before.

Comment

Glad things are better now. Save as grayscale JPG is not a default setting. That would be unusual. Somehow you must have changed it without realizing it.

Comment

Those darned boxes can be checked by an accidental mousclick an inch away -- I've done it with a few things and had to backtrack. My eyesight is very challenged when it comes to tiny text on dialogs, too! LOL
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

It irritates me that you cannot reset those Jpeg Save settings without actually saving something else.
            I do not want to risk doing what Momma Bird did. After using Save as Greyscale I want to immediately uncheck it and save that setting for the next time I use IrfanView.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
              It irritates me that you cannot reset those Jpeg Save settings without actually saving something else.
              I do not want to risk doing what Momma Bird did. After using Save as Greyscale I want to immediately uncheck it and save that setting for the next time I use IrfanView.
              You could change the save settings for a format through the Batch Conversion/Rename dialog without saving anything.

Comment

The fact that the greyscale option needs a warning with this reminder, proves imo that it's a weak construction in the dialog.
                There should be a more elegant solution for this, concerning setting-save or not, but I wouldn't know at the moment.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                  The fact that the greyscale option needs a warning with this reminder, proves imo that it's a weak construction in the dialog.
                  There should be a more elegant solution for this, concerning setting-save or not, but I wouldn't know at the moment.
                  Any of the options in the dialog are equally dangerous if you don't realize they are there. This is true elsewhere in the program as well. Perhaps instead of a check box to view the options dialog, it would enable/disable the options instead. Then a button in the Save dialog could be used to actually view the options dialog. This way, if you never use alternate options, by default they would be disabled. But, its not perfect. Some of the options need to be utilized and thus visible.

As for saving the settings without saving an image, it should work like the Batch Conversion/Rename dialog for consistency and convenience.

Originally posted by Momma Bird View Post
                  It's my bad eyesight.
                  Have you tried a magnifier program?
                  Last edited by Skippybox; 23.09.2008, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                    As for saving the settings without saving an image, it should work like the Batch Conversion/Rename dialog for consistency and convenience.
                    I don't think it should work quite like that, since pressing the OK button there closes the dialog. Perhaps the same way as has now been implemented for the Custom selection box, with a Save Settings button added. Pressing Save Settings saves to the INI file immediately instead of when the dialog closes. That way you can preserve existing settings and then make temporary changes before applying them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                      I don't think it should work quite like that, since pressing the OK button there closes the dialog.
                      I wasn't referring to that aspect of it. I guess it was confusing, since we are discussing two things here: how the options should be displayed and how they should be saved.

I meant that you can change the options and they will be preserved even if you don't do a conversion. This would be similar to changing and preserving the options in the Save dialog and not saving. The OK and Cancel buttons would not have to be necessary for the options dialog for the Save dialog. I would prefer not to have them either.

You're idea seems good, except how would you open/close the dialog? Would you eliminate my check box and re-institute the original one?

Comment

Volte-face

Hi, Skippybox !
                        After reading the thread again I have changed my mind. The weakness that Sam_Zen refers to is because of the automatic saving of the settings when the image itself is saved. My earlier idea made that automatic save optional but I now think it would be better to eliminate it completely. Custom Selection box has different requirements. It was wrong to suggest using that method. Settings like Greyscale should only be preserved by a deliberate action.

Perversely the solution I now favor is the one you did not intend and I previously rejected. So you would have a Settings.. button on the save dialog to open the settings window instead of a checkbox, and the settings window would have an OK button that would save the currently displayed settings and close the window when you pressed it. If you do not press OK, that window stays open, and when you then save the image, the displayed settings would be applied for that occasion but the settings themselves not saved.

Although the checkbox is no more, whether the settings window was left open or closed could still be remembered for next time. That way those who often make changes can leave the settings window only. Those who do not, can safely lock-in their preferred settings and leave the window closed.

Comment

Hello Mij !!

Good solution. But...How would you simultaneously save your settings but keep the window open? If you saved a setting without saving an image, would the program know whether to keep the window open/closed if you're pressing Cancel in the Save dialog? How would an unsuspecting user be aware of any of your functionality? Would they really know that not pressing OK would use the temporary settings for their save? It is definitely more powerful, but it may be wasted unless you read about it.

My checkbox made it easy to disable the advanced options. Good or bad?

There is still a reason why Momma Bird accidentally chose the grayscale option, and I'm not sure if any of our solutions could prevent that from happening or repeating. What if she chose it without realizing it, but also wanted to save her settings, thinking she was saving the ones she intended?

Comment

Of course occasional wrong clicks will happen, nothing to avoid that.

I think the confusion here is the fact that some setting will be saved, but it happens on several levels and at different moments during the session.
                            The level of clicking a save settings button, a save after closing a dialog, or a save after closing the program.

Automatic things can make the work easier, but sometimes they can be trouble-makers.
                            This can be avoided by skipping the automatic and demanding an intentional action from the user. To provide conscious control.
                            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks Sam Zen. This is a particularly confusing arrangement because there are two option boxes open together, the Save Image box and the Save Options box. So the user cannot easily guess what settings are about to be saved and what might just be applied to the current image.

Skippybox, I do not know what Momma Bird did to set Grayscale but I do know what I once did. I had just one B&W image that I decided to save as a grayscale jpeg. Yes, I did know that the setting would be saved and, no, I didn't remember it next time. It was nearly a week later that I started noticing colored images that had turned gray. I do now always leave the options box open (dangerous, I suppose, since I could inadvertently click something there). I confess that I very rarely check what is set there before I save the image though (too busy thinking about where to save it).

How will a user know how to Save settings with what I suggested? Well, because the Save Options box now works like almost every other option box in IV. It has an OK (or equivalent) button within the box. When you press it the settings are saved and the box closes. How will he/she know how to apply settings to the current image without saving them? Well he won't until he learns. He would probably expect that they will be applied to that image if the option box is still showing when he saves it, but might still expect that the settings will be re-saved. Not saving them automatically is IMO by far the safer alternative for him though.

How does he Save settings without closing the box? He can't. Closing the box is the confirmation that they were saved. He can, of course, open the box again to make a temporary change, but how often will it be necessary? Those who have a fixed way of working will open the box once, set their preferred settings, and close it. Their settings are now locked in and they can be confident that nothing accidental is going to change them. Those who regularly make changes can leave the box open. Their preferred settings will be there each time they open and they can then make one-time changes for saving the current image without having to remember to reset again next time they use the program. I really think that this is easier to learn than your suggestion and less liable to "fatal" mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                              X