Save As - limited file types - why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save As - limited file types - why

When I go to file open, their are over 50 different file types available to select from, however when I go to file save as there is a limited number of about 20.

Why the difference, should I not be able to save a .BMP as a .SWF etc.

MMoss

Open≠Save

Read Supported File Formats in IrfanView Help.
    Last edited by Skippybox; 22.09.2008, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Ok

So I would like to have the ability to save

.SWF
      .WMF

Comment

IrfanView is just that, a bitmap graphics viewer. If you are looking to convert special formats to other special formats, then you probably should look for a program especially for that purpose.

Comment

Good question.
          Yep, conversion is the key word here.
          There's a difference between the abilty to open a format and showing it correctly, and the abilty to save the same data in another format.
          Most of the times some conversion routines are needed according to the conditons of the output format.

This is piece of cake for IV when it, both in and out, concerns basic graphical formats, like from BMP to JPG.
          A format like SWF is another story. This is not a specific graphical format, it can be a container of several media-data, like sound or text too.
          The same reason why, although you can open an MP3 file with IV, it's not possible to save a BMP as a MP3 file.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
          X