Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that it may be important to remember that some users are more comfortable using a mouse, whereas some are more comfortable using the keyboard. The button that I'm speaking of could easily be removed, since the toolbar is customizable. The fullscreen features -- I'd like them to be optional.

I wasn't aware of Ctrl + H
    Last edited by Steven W; 29.09.2008, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven W View Post
      I think that it may be important to remember that some users are more comfortable using a mouse, whereas some are more comfortable using the keyboard. The button that I'm speaking of could easily be removed, since the toolbar is customizable. The fullscreen features -- I'd like them to be optional.

I wasn't aware of Ctrl + H
      I understand that the mouse could be better, because it is easier to make mistakes with a keyboard, and it is less to remember than a bunch of hotkeys.

I was only showing you what was already in IrfanView, in case you want to make use of it, since you're interested in such features.

Alternatively, you can use the mouse to point to the commands in the menus.

CTRL+H is in View
      SHIFT+A is in View
      CTRL+W isn't in any menu, but you could use Start slideshow with selected files from the File menu in Thumbs.

CTRL+H won't work in fullscreen for some reason. However, you can use keys 1-6 (1 is 1:1) to choose a display mode. It will persist as you browse until you leave fullscreen, but it won't change your setting in Properties.

Comment

Original size button = GOOD

[QUOTE=Steven W;14043] and zoom the photo to its original size.

Could not agree more.

Keyboard shortcuts are an inferior tool compared
        to a properly designed mouse interface.
        Two hands vs One finger is no contest.

Requiring the user to remember anything to operate a program
        is outdated and I'm a little surprised at the elitism
        coming through from "experienced users" on the subject.
        Intuitve controls will win many more friends than a learning curve.

People seem to forget that IV is not the only program with keyboard shortcuts;
        so users naturally back away from learning another set.
        Especially, in a something like IV, which a lot of us like to use as a tool
        NOT as a place where we intend to spend a lot of time.

PLEASE, can we have an Original Size button, NOW ?

Constructive suggestion:
        Why not provide half a dozen customisable (macro?) buttons
        which could be tagged with an existing Keyboard shortcut.
        In other words Free Button 1 could be CTRL-H.
        That would be a decent shortcut alternative to coding new buttons.
        I assume a basic Icon editor would be no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Clockwork Computer View Post
          Keyboard shortcuts are an inferior tool compared
          to a properly designed mouse interface.
          Two hands vs One finger is no contest.

Requiring the user to remember anything to operate a program
          is outdated and I'm a little surprised at the elitism
          coming through from "experienced users" on the subject.
          Intuitve controls will win many more friends than a learning curve..
          I don't mind at all having more mouse controls, including toolbar buttons. I just want to make people aware of what is available, as many do not know. As I mentioned previously, you generally can use your mouse to select any command from the menu bar. You are not required to use the keyboard. In fact, most of the time using a mouse is easier, unless you have a laptop.

Comment

I can disagree vigorously with anyone who thinks that a mouse is more efficient or precise -- particularly when mine is starting to develop a tic in one button...

Actually, since Ctrl+H is already there, I don't need anything. Except maybe longer fingers, or customizable keyboard commands -- it's nice to have a short reach for the most-used commands.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I appreciate the tips given here. I also appreciate that Irfanview has, thus far, done a wonderful job of keeping folks in both "camps" happy. Do bear in mind that I set up computer for friends and family, some of which are simply not going to remember many key combos. While I appreciate the tips, I'm not teaching Mom this stuff because she does well to remember how to drag and drop in Windows.

Comment

FastStone Image Viewer is very visual and is very good for mouse users as well as keyboard users. Maybe you would appreciate this program. Of course it isn't always as great as IrfanView.

Comment

I think it would be a much better method to teach old people the keyboard shortcuts, telling them it's just a language to learn,
                  than the dreadful drag-n-drop method, where halfway the dragging their trembling fingers loose control, and the file is lost into somewhere.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Slideshow button

I really like Irfanview, it works so much faster and more smoothly than Vista's image viewer, and has more features than the one XP had, which did run smoothly. However, I wish Irfanview had a button that I could press to automatically display a slideshow from all the images in the directory currently in use. There is already a keyboard shortcut for this, Ctrl-W, but I don't see a button or an option in the pulldown menus that does the same thing Ctrl-W does. If I'm overlooking it somehow please let me know.

Comment

Why don't you double click on a picture and then use the scroll function of your mouse?

Comment

I see your point Gecko99. In most viewer programs displaying images from the current folder is usually the default for Slideshow. In Irfanview that feature is pretty well hidden away. Both the Slideshow menu function and the toolbar button send you direct to the Slideshow dialog where you are expected to load all the image names onto a list before you can play them.

I would rate your chances of getting a new menu item rather higher than getting a new Toolbar button. I have seen many requested on this forum but cannot recall anyone ever having succeeded in getting a new button onto the Toolbar.

When you speak of Vista's viewer are you talking about the Slideshow that is built into Windows Explorer? I think that is pretty good and very smooth. The Pan and Zoom Theme is especially cool I would love to see that in IrfanView.
                        Last edited by Mij; 19.01.2009, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I responded about this in your other related thread.

Goto my response

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                            Why don't you double click on a picture and then use the scroll function of your mouse?
                            Because that wouldn't go through the photos automatically.

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                            When you speak of Vista's viewer are you talking about the Slideshow that is built into Windows Explorer? I think that is pretty good and very smooth. The Pan and Zoom Theme is especially cool I would love to see that in IrfanView.
                            I'm talking about Windows Photo Gallery. I like its features, but they don't run smoothly on my new computer. I guess it's probably the integrated graphics chip. Fade is especially choppy, and slideshows take around 15 seconds to load up. That's why I went to Irfanview, which I've used before when I needed to resize a whole bunch of photos quickly.

Comment

Dear Developers,

I would like to see the follows two buttons on the Toolbar that could override Display options, near of Zoom buttons:
                              • Original Size (Ctrl+H)
                              • Fit only big images to Desktop (Shift+F)

Best Regards,

Fernando Santucci
                              Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brasil

Comment

User Defined Toolbar or....

It is possible to have the option to put one's favourite utilities on the tool bar or, if that's too tricky, can the "Crop" option be added as one of the options.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X