Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Allow NumPad use for fullscreen zooming

Hi, just a wee request.

It would be excellent if numpad could also be used for full screen viewing - to me faster and more intuitive than using the normally fairly redundant keys above QWERTY.

e.g.
    1 Show images/movies with the original size (1:1)
    2 Fit to screen: large images only
    & 3, 4, 5, 6

Numpad 5 "Scroll image to center" would have to be reallocated.

Cheers for looking - hope this can be fitted in.

Dave McA

Hi David
    Remember that most laptops do not have NumPad keys, so you would have to keep the other number keys too. Also some users want to reserve keyboard shortcuts for other applications that run at the same time. Irfanview already takes over a lot of the available keys. There were some complaints when IV took over the 5 on the NumPad.
    I suspect you will have to find a better argument than "..faster and more intuitive to me.." to persuade some.

You do know that you can use the NumPad + and - keys for manual zooming in Fullscreen? A reasonable alternative to changing the "fit" option in many cases.
    Last edited by Mij; 22.10.2008, 02:21 PM. Reason: Afterthought

Comment

What are you doing with these keys that makes them impractical?

You can use the sole "F" key to cycle in fullscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        Remember that most laptops do not have NumPad keys, ...
        Wrongo. A NumPad key sequence is there, but you have to hold a special key to access them.

On all my Dell laptops there was a blue "Fn" key that changed the action of some of the other keys to become the recognized as "NumPad" keys.

Even this MS Bluetooth Wireless 8000 keyboard, that I am using right now, does not have separate NumPad keys, but I still have an "Fn" key and I can additionally press
        789 to get keycodes the same as KeyPad 789 keys;
        UIO to get 456 KeyPad;
        JKL to get 123 Keypad, and a few other surrounding keys to get the other KeyPad keycodes.
        I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
        Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

My Sony does the same thing, but I don't use the Fn key to access the number pad. I have a Num Lk button instead and the Fn key is for other functionality, like volume. If I press Num Lk then JKL is 123 and so on...

Comment

You might verify if that special key pressing actually is recognized as KeyPad keycodes. Here's how:
            In some editable area, press whatever keys you need for the 123 keys. If the keypresses are recognized as KeyPad codes then nothing appears in that editable area until you let the keys go after that 3 (of the 123 sequence).
            At that time the "{" (left brace) character should appear.

Comment

I tried in Notepad, but when I press a key like J, it just repeats "1" until I let go. Is that right? I don't hold the Num Lk key when I press another key. Num Lk changes the mode of the keyboard and a light comes on indicating it. Pressing Num Lk again turns the mode off.

For the Fn key, I can initiate an action while holding down the Fn key and pressing and letting go of another key. I never need to release the Fn key.

Can you explain your test again?
              Last edited by Skippybox; 23.10.2008, 12:23 AM.

Comment

No, that's not right. You are getting a "1" because you are not additionally holding down the Alt key. I did not mention that in my first message, sorry. That was because I assumed that "we all knew" we were talking about the Alt+KeyPad functions that have been built into every PC-type computer since the first PCs from IBM. My bad, and sorry.

Explanation: the Keypad numerical keys can be used to enter any ASCII code that you want, from ASCII 0 all the way up to ASCII 255. To do that you just hold down the Alt key, and while holding it down you press the KeyPad numbers (up to 3 digits) from 0 to 255. When you then release the Alt key, the character corresponding to that numerical code will be entered.

The use for that is not so much that you can enter the keys that you already have keys for like a-Z,0-9,!@#$%^& etc. BUT INSTEAD for the characters like ♥♦♣♠♂♀♪♫☼ and almost any other character you can reasonably have (in the font you are currently using). (Get the free ASCIIcat for a reference document that details the ASCII codes and many, many other useful things. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!)

For my "test" as you called it, it is just a normal KeyPad sequence to type the ASCII code 123, which should get you the left brace "{" character. It is a simple key sequence, that is as easy as 123 in remembering .

I mentioned the 123 "test" to use to quickly verify that you are correctly pressing the Alt+KeyPad keys, and that you are really getting a proper KeyPad key recognition.

Since you are getting the number 1, that tells me that you are pressing the right keys to get the number 1 on your (probably) laptop keyboard - not having a keypad, BUT it also tells me that you have not additionally holding down the Alt key. Pretty simple.

Plus, I see that the holding down of the keyboard key repeats, that is why you are getting a string of number 1's. When you are additionally holding down the Alt key, the automatic key repeat will not happen. If it did you might get a sequence of Alt+1Alt+1Alt+1Alt+1Alt+1Alt+1 etc. And the ASCII code of "111" is the letter "small O" or in other words ooooooooooooooo etc. That would not be good. So every keyboard I know of will disable the auto key repeat when holding down the Alt key.

Try the "test" again. Try (using whatever keys you need to hold to access the "KeyPad" keys) entering Alt+1 Alt+2 Alt+3 and then let the Alt key go. The left brace should appear. Thus proving 2 things, you are accessing the numerals AND those numerals are "seen" as KeyPad keys, not the same as the numerals along the top row of the standard keyboard.

Comment

Makes sense now that I have the whole explanation and critical information. Yes, pressing ALT+JKL on my Sony laptop does give me {. Very useful.

Comment

Well, getting the { is not particularly useful, but to get to the approximately 100 other characters that don't have a single key for, that is where the Alt+NumPad is useful.

☺☻♥♦♣♠•◘○◙♂♀♪♫☼►◄↕‼¶§▬↨↑↓→←∟↔▲▼ etc. etc.

Plus, on the very rare occasion where you find that a particular keyboard key stops working, and you just don't have the time (or money) to get it fixed or replaced, well, in those times you find out what several keys (Alt-KeyPad sequence) you can press to get the character you want.

Yeah, it is cumbersome, but in a pinch it might tied you over until the fix or replacement comes.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckE View Post
                      Well, getting the { is not particularly useful, but to get to the approximately 100 other characters that don't have a single key for, that is where the Alt+NumPad is useful.
                      That is what I meant.
                      Yeah, it is cumbersome, but in a pinch it might tied you over until the fix or replacement comes.
                      This is a good alternative to the character map for some things.

Comment

Working...
                      X