Creating Websites in Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating Websites in Word

I've got another question for you all. I have given up (after 12 years) shelling out big money to website builders and I am doing them myself using Word 07. (Yes there is a great drop in quality but at least the money stays in my pocket !) However, this Word webpage building is WYSIWYG. I want to insert an html tag from youtube, and another one from google.

I can't figure how to turn the page I have got to html, insert an html paste and then return out of html to where I started in an WYSIWG view. I tried windows forums but they are hopeless. This poor person following asked the same question in 2006 and never got a reply! Any experts around Irfanview on MS-Word ? Or do you know a better forum for asking such Word stuff?

Subject: How do I change the HTML code back to WYSIWYG? 3/8/2006 9:26 AM PST

By: miggols99 In: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I am making a website in Word. I want to insert some HTML code so I open up
    my webpage in Notepad. I insert the HTML code, but when I go back to edit it
    in Microsoft Word, the file turns into HTML code. How do I change it back to
    what you see is what you get mode?
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 06.11.2008, 06:33 AM.

Use a web editing program for building websites, not a word processor.

NetObjects Fusion Essentials is free, and recommended for WYSIWYG web design.

Inserting a YouTube Video is easy using the Insert HTML code dialogue.

The PC Advisor Web Design Forum is a good place to go for advice and help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.10.2008, 10:08 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I use Word 2002. I'm sure that Word 2007 has the same features, but the menu structure is entirely different. So you'll have to translate the 2002 menu choices in the following to 2007 ribbon bar selections.

You can insert Hyperlinks directly into a Word document as a "field". In MS Word 2002, the menu choice is Insert -> Field -> Hyperlink; the keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+K. You can edit a hyperlink by right clicking on it and choosing Edit Hyperlink.

You can also create an HTML version of your document. In MS Word 2002, the menu choice is File -> Save As menu and then pick either "Web Page" or "Web Page Filtered".

If you open the HTML version of your file in Word, you will have the option to edit the HTML source. In Word 2002, the menu is View -> HTML Source. Note: you may have to close and re-open the file for the menu option to appear. The HTML Source is displayed in Microsoft's script editor. You can use that to add scripts or tweak the HTML; e.g., add a YouTube reference. When you close the script editor (or you open the edited file), Word will try to display the altered file as WYSIWYG and will usually succeed. It will usually preserve your tweaks, but not always. If possible, keep the original, untweaked file and go back to it for edits.

NOTES: "Web Page Filtered" creates files that have fewer Word extensions and thus smaller and faster loading. In MS Word 2002, File -> Save as Web Page is creates the "Web Page" format with fewer mouse clicks. You'll need to experiment with both formats to verify that "Filtered" doesn't change the format significantly.

HINT: The HTML file can be large and confusing but you can make tweaking easier by putting placeholder text in the original file where the references should go; something like "YouTube Skateboard Video Ref Here". Any phrase you can find with a search works.

Comment

Please, please, PLEASE,
        do not use Word to make HTML pages, it generates terrible HTML, in the best cases just redundant (~30 KB of HTML for a row of text), in the worst sintactically wrong.
        It simply isn't the right tool; would you use a screwdriver to put a nail in a wall? Use a hammer instead!
        IrfanPaint developer
        The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
        IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Word is the most godawful mangler of webness there is. I have seen Word-generated webpages with more than seven font tags for an empty space. If you MUST have WYSIWYG (What You See Is [NOT] What [the other] Yahoos Get), try something like NVU or KompoZer. Another one I have tried out and found very good is Blaze Composer. It comes with a handy HTML tutorial. Learn the code and lose the bloat! NoteTab (a text editor) is the best HTML editor I know. It has the handiest code-insertion features.
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
            Word is the most godawful mangler of webness there is....
            Amen!

I recommend you learn HTML first (if you haven't already). The basics are very simple. - Then you can judge whether you need a WYSIWYG application and whether any given one is a good one.
            I have been maintaining a website for 9 years with nothing else but Wordpad and never missed anything. On the contrary, this (the only?) way I am sure that I am in control of what the pages look like and that they are compatible across browsers.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Right on. I just use an Notepad-alternative for editing my HTML-pages. Control it is.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

found it now bhikkhu! you made another thread of it.
                thanks for your help!
                kjg

Comment

thanks heaps cwb3106 , will give it a go!

Comment

Working...
                  X