Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a plug-in. And I agree about keeping things down to what is most basic and useful - but of course we all have different notions about that.

The great thing about the IrfanPaint plugin is that it adds all the marking and notation capability that the "Insert text in selection" feature only tickles our appetites for. It is a great convenience to be able to add arrows, circles, and lines to a screenshot, or to point out some feature in a photo, without having to use a different graphics editor.

MItaly, you have done a great thing for all of us hard-core IV users
    Attached Files
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by johncoyne3 View Post
      ....for the rest of his life.[/U]
      Note the Newbie badge stuck up my nose.....
      I too don't understand very well what he's trying to say...
      However, if IrfanPaint were added as a plug-in, then by all means, please bring it on!
      Originally posted by matera View Post
      It is a plug-in. And I agree about keeping things down to what is most basic and useful - but of course we all have different notions about that.
      For everybody who fears that IrfanPaint will bloat IV: it is and will always be a plug-in, i.e. the code and the resources will always be separated and, over all, IV will always work also without it.
      MItaly, you have done a great thing for all of us hard-core IV users
      Thank you. BTW, on the site there's a new revision of the plug-in; it adds the infrastructure to support a different pointer for every tool (although in this version all the tools except from the arrow have a crosshair cursor) and the left/right click support for paintbrush and eraser (see the post of Bhikkhu Pesala).
      ---EDIT---
      Hey, very good that "IP cat"! Maybe we can change the IP logo with it, I think it is better than mine.
      Last edited by MItaly; 18.07.2007, 11:08 AM.
      IrfanPaint developer
      The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
      IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
        Maybe I could use the same control used by PSP7 to select measures.
        Not being a PSP user, I don't understand how that control works. It is obviously too big for your toolbar.

Another convenient way for most users is to use the mouse scroll wheel, though some users may not have a scroll wheel mouse. I wonder if there is a way to use click and hold? That would be the most intuitive. Otherwise Control and drag up/down to resize the brush/eraser line width. Although this requires a little effort to learn, it removes the need for a slider control or brush selector on the toolbar. Once learnt, it is much easier in use.

For the ellipse and rectangle tools, do you intend to implement Control modifier keys to constrain them to circle and square? And maybe Shift modifier to draw from the centre as in CorelDraw? Once you get into making drawing tools, you find that you really need these features to make them usable. Since bitmaps cannot be moved after drawing without using layers, you need to get them right first time. Without draw from centre, and constrain aspect ratio, this is difficult
        The idea behind IrfanPaint is to substitute other programs for this kind of little editing operations
        I use FastStone Capture for this kind of annotation task. Its drawing mode creates objects with attributes. They can be resized and moved around. After exiting from drawing mode, they become part of the original bitmap. I think it is a fundamental mistake to try to make IV do all tasks that other programs can do. It is so much more efficient to use the right tool for the job than to try to use a Swiss Army knife for all tasks.

I am sure that you enjoy coding, but do give some careful thought to the various comments from experienced users before spending time coding something that is not going to be easy to use.

Instead of two colour palettes labelled fg and bg, use only one large one. Click it with the left mouse to set the left button colour. Click it with the right mouse to set the right button colour. Paint with the left button. Erase with the right.

One Big Problem: Double click with any tool will enter Fullscreen mode.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

A small, but powerfull plugin! Great work mister M! Here's a little demo, made with IrfanPaint (see attachment). Thanks a lot, curious about the 'official' version with a working stamptool.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            Not being a PSP user, I don't understand how that control works. It is obviously too big for your toolbar.
            The image is a dialog with the control in it, not the control itself. The control about which I'm talking is that textbox with an up-down and a down arrow on its right. It works like a normal textbox+up-down, but, when the user clicks on the down arrow on the right, appears a slider to quickly select the wanted size.
            Another convenient way for most users is to use the mouse scroll wheel, though some users may not have a scroll wheel mouse. I wonder if there is a way to use click and hold? That would be the most intuitive.
            The use of scroll wheel to change the brush size is easy to implement. I'll add it in the next version. For the other related suggestions... maybe in future.
            For the ellipse and rectangle tools, do you intend to implement Control modifier keys to constrain them to circle and square? And maybe Shift modifier to draw from the centre as in CorelDraw? Once you get into making drawing tools, you find that you really need these features to make them usable. Since bitmaps cannot be moved after drawing without using layers, you need to get them right first time. Without draw from centre, and constrain aspect ratio, this is difficult
            Both of these are very useful features. I'll add them in the next release.
            I use FastStone Capture for this kind of annotation task. Its drawing mode creates objects with attributes. They can be resized and moved around. After exiting from drawing mode, they become part of the original bitmap. I think it is a fundamental mistake to try to make IV do all tasks that other programs can do. It is so much more efficient to use the right tool for the job than to try to use a Swiss Army knife for all tasks.
            Again, you are right, but if you need to do some "on-the-fly" editing you'll admit that having tools like these could be useful.
            I am sure that you enjoy coding, but do give some careful thought to the various comments from experienced users before spending time coding something that is not going to be easy to use.
            If I wasn't interested in user comments I would have stopped listening to you two posts ago. I really like your and other users' comments, because I want to create a plugin useful for the users, not only for me.
            Instead of two colour palettes labelled fg and bg, use only one large one. Click it with the left mouse to set the left button colour. Click it with the right mouse to set the right button colour.
            But... this way how would the user see what is the fg and what is the bg color? If you think that is better "compacting" the toolbar I may make the two color rectangles partially overlapping, with the fg color in foreground.
            Paint with the left button. Erase with the right.
            Already implemented in the last version.
            One Big Problem: Double click with any tool will enter Fullscreen mode.
            I'll change this behavior in the next release. Do you think I should disable the double-click in the Arrow tool? After all the purpose of the Arrow tool is to let the user use IV normally without closing the toolbar...
            Originally posted by Sjef
            A small, but powerfull plugin! Great work mister M!
            Thank you.
            curious about the 'official' version with a working stamptool.
            Are you talking about the clone tool? Well, it works (although sometimes it has some défiances... ); move the mouse where you want to paint, press and hold CTRL, move the mouse where you want to pick the portions of the image, click and then release CTRL; you've just set the offset. Now you can paint.
            BTW, a pair of features that you may have not discovered:
            - right click when you are dragging a line/rectangle/ellipse aborts the drawing;
            - right click on the "arrow line" tool shows the "Arrow options" dialog;
            - if there's a selection on the image, it works as the clipping region, i.e. the drawing operations outside are clipped out.

Thank everybody for the suggestions: they are really useful, keep on posting like this.
            Last edited by MItaly; 18.07.2007, 10:06 PM.
            IrfanPaint developer

Comment

When the user clicks on the down arrow on the right, appears a slider to quickly select the wanted size.
              If you can manage a fullsize button that opens a slider, then fine. Tiny scroll buttons are very difficult to hit. That is what slows the user down.
              The use of scroll wheel to change the brush size is easy to implement. I'll add it in the next version.
              Great. I think that will work very well. Let's see what others make of it.

But... this way how would the user see what is the fg and what is the bg color? If you think that is better "compacting" the toolbar I may make the two color rectangles partially overlapping, with the fg color in foreground.
              A fair point. Two overlapping squares is fine, but if you can manage like the attached, it might be even better.
              Do you think I should disable the double-click in the Arrow tool? After all the purpose of the Arrow tool is to let the user use IV normally without closing the toolbar...
              IMO if you can toggle your toolbar off with F12, then the arrow tool is not needed. After all, what does it select? IV Paint doesn't create objects like FastStone Capture does. So I would remove the pointer.
              Move the mouse where you want to paint, press and hold CTRL, move the mouse where you want to pick the portions of the image, click and then release CTRL; you've just set the offset. Now you can paint.
              This seems back to front, and I cannot understand how to use it. I am used to how MicroGrafx used to do it. Move the mouse to the source; click to set a crossed circle cursor. Move the mouse to where you want to paint, click again and start painting with a circular brush cursor.

I think you should follow PhotoShop's method whatever it is, as most users will be familiar with that. PhotoPlus uses shift click to set the source with a small cross-hair cursor, then just click and start painting with a circular brush cursor wherever you want to set the offset. If the user fogets to shift when clicking, a dialogue tells them to hold down shift and click to set the source. I think you need a clear source cursor as well as the clone paint brush. If that's hard, then a single brush cursor is fine.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 19.07.2007, 12:47 AM.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Great. I think that will work very well. Let's see what others make of it.
                ---
                A fair point. Two overlapping squares is fine, but if you can manage like the attached, it might be even better.
                Both these features are included in the last version (the color palette now is like the attachment). Download it and tell me what you think.
                Since now the pen size is very quick to change I think that I don't need to change the width textbox+updown: I'll leave it there for users that need to set very precisely the size.
                Another shortcut that I could add is CTRL+SHIFT+wheel move=change tool.
                IMO if you can toggle your toolbar off with F12, then the arrow tool is not needed. After all, what does it select? IV Paint doesn't create objects like FastStone Capture does. So I would remove the pointer.
                The selection works as clipping region, so I think it's better to leave the arrow tool.
                I think you should follow PhotoShop's method whatever it is, as most users will be familiar with that.
                In the last version I used the GIMP's method (I don't have PhotoShop), i.e. CTRL+click on the source and then click to paint (very similar to PhotoPlus method).
                If the user fogets to shift when clicking, a dialogue tells them to hold down shift and click to set the source.
                Do you think I need to add a dialog? At the moment if the user forgets to click CTRL the "critical dialog" sound is played, but maybe it isn't enough...
                I think you need a clear source cursor as well as the clone paint brush. If that's hard, then a single brush cursor is fine.
                It isn't hard, but I have to draw (or steal ) all the cursors. I'll add the different cursors in future.
                Last edited by MItaly; 19.07.2007, 11:57 AM.
                IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Both these features are included in the last version (the color palette now is like the attachment). Download it and tell me what you think.
                  I will take a look later.
                  The selection works as clipping region, so I think it's better to leave the arrow tool.
                  But if I just want to crop the image, why would I open IV Paint? I don't think it is needed at all. The default tool should be the brush/eraser.
                  I don't have PhotoShop.
                  I expect someone will tell us.
                  Do you think I need to add a dialog? At the moment if the user forgets to click CTRL the "critical dialog" sound is played, but maybe it isn't enough...
                  I don't like the PhotoPlus dialogue, but at least it tells me what I did wrong, the critical sound just tells me I did something wrong. I thought the clone tool was unfinished until I read some forum replies. That's why I like simple click once to set the source, and second click to paint. It doesn't need any prior knowledge other than that one must press a button.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                    But if I just want to crop the image, why would I open IV Paint? I don't think it is needed at all. The default tool should be the brush/eraser.
                    The selection in IP is not used to crop the image, but to select an image area that will be used as clipping region. If you have a clipping region in an image the drawing will be performed only in it (it can be very useful, for example, to constrain the floodfill to a particular area).
                    I expect someone will tell us.
                    I think it's very similar to the GIMP method...
                    I don't like the PhotoPlus dialogue, but at least it tells me what I did wrong, the critical sound just tells me I did something wrong.
                    Well, I'll add the dialog.
                    IrfanPaint developer

Comment

cant get the clone tool to work...

Comment

Originally posted by dga223 View Post
                        This is how to do it in previous builds of IV Paint.
                        Move the mouse where you want to paint, press and hold CTRL, move the mouse where you want to pick the portions of the image, click and then release CTRL; you've just set the offset. Now you can paint.
                        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.07.2007, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dga223 View Post
                          This is how to do it if you're using the latest build 38

Hold down the control key and click on the area you want to set as the source.

You will see a vertical arrow instead of the no entry sign cursor.

Click and start painting wherever you want with the cross-hair cursor.

BTW this cross-hair cursor should be a paintbrush cursor.

Comment

I don't mind the cross-hair, as long as I can aim it straight
                            Its: Belongs to "It"
                            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                            ---------------------
                            Lose: Fail to keep
                            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I want to see how big the brush width is.

The source needs a cross as well as a circle. The target just needs a circle.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 25.07.2007, 07:28 AM.

Comment

The main problem of this plugin (and also MS paint) is that there is no smoothing (like the difference between pencil and brush in photoshop) so you can't really do something you'll want to save.
                                I know that isn't an easy feature, but without it I don't have a use of the plugin.

Comment

Working...
                                X