X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beta 0.4.1.39

I released another build of IrfanPaint; here are some improvements:
    • added cursor for almost every tool;
    • added the double circular cursor for the clone tool (almost identical to the Bhikkhu Pesala's idea);
    • exhaustive tooltips now stay for longer time on the screen;
    • more precise drawing at high zoom level (although there are still problem at very high levels of zoom - at more than 12000%);
    • now you can press CTRL to indicate to IP that the first point of a shape/line is its center also while dragging (in the previous build you could do that only while starting the new shape/line);
    • if you press SHIFT while dragging a line now the line is constrained to be horizontal, vertical or 45°-tilted (in the previous build you it was constrained only to be 45°-tilted);
    • fixed several minor bugs;
    • added other things that now I don't remember .

The main problem of this plugin (and also MS paint) is that there is no smoothing (like the difference between pencil and brush in photoshop) so you can't really do something you'll want to save.
    I know that isn't an easy feature, but without it I don't have a use of the plugin.
    You want anti-aliasing? Hmmm, maybe I could borrow some code from here...
    Last edited by MItaly; 25.07.2007, 10:45 PM.
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Looking good now. I only gave it a quick trial run.

The clone tool works a treat. The cursors are better than mine.

The only tool that seems a bit off is the arrow tool, which results in arrows with rounded corners, rather than sharp ones.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Woh, you messed with the fore/back color boxes. Very tidy.

Antialiasing would be nice sometimes (but not always). You know what would be the coolest thing? heh-heh no, I better not say. Just keep on.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Some suggestions to improve the text of Exhaustive Help. As a general rule in documentation, avoid second person such as, "You can," and use the more formal passive voice or third person, "it can" or "one can."

The Selection Tool is for normal use of IrfanView, for example to create selections.
          The Paintbrush is used to paint freehand.
          Click and drag with the Left mouse button to paint with the foreground color.
          Click and drag with the Right mouse button to paint with the background color.
          The Eraser is used to erase freehand.
          Click and drag with the Left Mouse button to erase with the background color.
          Click and drag with the Right Mouse button to erase with the foreground color.
          The Clone Tool copies one part of an image to another area.
          It can be used to remove dust and scratches from a photo.
          Hold CTRL to show the Up Arrow cursor and click to select the source.
          Release CTRL and click where you want to start painting.
          The Line Tool draws straight lines.
          Click and drag to define the line. Release the mouse button to draw it.
          To abort the line, click the Right mouse button.
          Hold CTRL while dragging to center the line on the start point.
          Hold SHIFT while dragging to constrain the line to multiples of 45°
          The Arrow Tool draws straight lines with arrow-heads.
          Right-click on the Arrow Tool to open the Arrow Settings dialog.
          The Ellipse Tool is used to draw circles and ellipses. If the fill button above the color palette is checked, they will be solid; if not they will be hollow.
          Click and drag to define the ellipse. Release the mouse button to draw it.
          To abort the ellipse, click the Right mouse button.
          Hold CTRL while dragging to center the ellipse on the start point.
          Hold SHIFT while dragging to draw a circle.
          The Rectangle Tool is used to draw squares and rectangles. If the fill button above the color palette is checked, they will be solid; if not they will be hollow.
          Click and drag to define the rectangle. Release the mouse button to draw it.
          To abort the rectangle, click the Right mouse button.
          Hold CTRL while dragging to center the rectangle on the start point.
          Hold SHIFT while dragging to draw a square.
          The Floodfill Tool is used to fill areas with one color.
          Click with the Left mouse button to fill an area with the foreground colour.
          Click with the Right mouse button to fill an area with the background colour.
          The Color-picker is used to select colors from the image.
          Click on a color with the Left mouse button to pick the foreground color.
          Click on a color with the Right mouse button to pick the background color.
          I think the Paintbrush and Eraser tools would work better with resizable cursors that show their width.

The Ellipse and Rectangle Tool could work in reverse with the Right mouse button, that is filling with the foreground colour.

The Eraser tool is essentially just the Paintbrush in reverse. Could it be made to work differently?
          Erase with the left button to erase everything except the background color.
          Erase with the right button to erase everything except the foreground color.
          I haven't thought this through properly, but it might be more useful if it did something like that.

The Arrow Tool duplicates the line tool. By setting the line-endings to no arrows, it does exactly the same task, so the Arrow Tool is redundant. Remove it to save space on the toolbar.

BUG: Holding down shift while scrolling is great for changing the line width, but if you do that while using the Paintbrush you end up painting on the next or previous image.
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.07.2007, 07:27 AM.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
            You want anti-aliasing? Hmmm, maybe I could borrow some code from here...
            That'll be nice .

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              The clone tool works a treat. The cursors are better than mine.
              The most of them has been stolen from MS Paint ... but don't say this to uncle Bill!
              The only tool that seems a bit off is the arrow tool, which results in arrows with rounded corners, rather than sharp ones.
              I'll try to change this in the next version; I think that it can be done easily using different joins.
              Originally posted by matera View Post
              Woh, you messed with the fore/back color boxes. Very tidy.
              It's a Bhikkhu Pesala's suggestion.
              Antialiasing would be nice sometimes (but not always). You know what would be the coolest thing? heh-heh no, I better not say. Just keep on.
              Say it: if it's too complicated I'll say you "maybe in future".
              Some suggestions to improve the text of Exhaustive Help. As a general rule in documentation, avoid second person such as, "You can," and use the more formal passive voice or third person, "it can" or "one can."
              [...]
              Good work! I'll replace the tooltips with these new ones. Thank you!
              I think the Paintbrush and Eraser tools would work better with resizable cursors that show their width.
              Ok.
              The Ellipse and Rectangle Tool could work in reverse with the Right mouse button, that is filling with the foreground colour.
              The right button is already in use to abort the shape, and I think it's a useful feature. Maybe I could add that clicking with the middle mouse button (or with the wheel) on the color pane exchanges the fg and bg color.
              The Eraser tool is essentially just the Paintbrush in reverse. Could it be made to work differently?
              [...]
              I haven't thought this through properly, but it might be more useful if it did something like that.
              Another good idea. I could implement it with a MaskBlt...
              The Arrow Tool duplicates the line tool. By setting the line-endings to no arrows, it does exactly the same task, so the Arrow Tool is redundant. Remove it to save space on the toolbar.
              This was a good idea I had in early development (when IP was still an alpha) but I forgot. I'll do it straightforward.
              BUG: Holding down shift while scrolling is great for changing the line width, but if you do that while using the Paintbrush you end up painting on the next or previous image.
              Fixed.
              IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Absolutely agree with that!

Well, I don't know if others will agree with me, but I personally feel that "Erase" should only "Erase" that which is drawn with IP. ... that is if one wants to erase anything else, it would be a paint job with a different colour. So, If I draw a staright line and then use the erase feature on parts of the freshly drawn line, IP should erase only those portions of the freshly painted area over which the eraser moves! .... but then again, I wonder if this would involve layers and the complications thereof!

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
                  The right button is already in use to abort the shape, and I think it's a useful feature. Maybe I could add that clicking with the middle mouse button (or with the wheel) on the color pane exchanges the fg and bg color.
                  Agreed. Some way to cancel drawing is important because there is no undo, and Escape closes Irfan View.

I wonder though, if one hasn't yet clicked with the left button to start drawing, is there any action to cancel? One could cancel drawing with the right mouse by clicking the left mouse. I think that would be intuitive.

Using the middle mouse button to swap the colours is not intuitive. However, if selecting either tool with the right mouse button swapped the colours, that might be easy to remember. The visual feedback from the palette would be obvious unless the colours were the same or nearly the same. It is consistent with using right-click on the arrow/line tool to change the settings.

BUG: The same bug occurs if one scrolls the wheel while drawing with the other tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Paparazzi View Post
                    Well, I don't know if others will agree with me, but I personally feel that "Erase" should only "Erase" that which is drawn with IP. ... [...] but then again, I wonder if this would involve layers and the complications thereof!
                    It would involve layers and/or other complications.
                    I wonder though, if one hasn't yet clicked with the left button to start drawing, is there any action to cancel? One could cancel drawing with the right mouse by clicking the left mouse. I think that would be intuitive.
                    I may change it this way.
                    BUG: The same bug occurs if one scrolls the wheel while drawing with the other tools.
                    It's the same bug that I've fixed before. The code that controls the wheel-driven pen width change is the same for all the tools.
                    Note that I fixed it in the sources and in my private build, but the fix will be available on the site only when I'll release the new beta.
                    IrfanPaint developer

Comment

IrfanPaint Problem - No Paint!

Hi ...

This is an awesome plugin! For simple down and dirty projects I've been pixel and select-block editing with IV for years. So I installed the mod and dll. I load an image press F-12 up comes the paint controls and ... NOTHING.

It does absolutely nothing. The clone tool icons are there I can select and the palette changes but no cloning is evident on the image. Same with the paint brush. I can select the color but nothing comes out of the brush. Same for the lines and the eraser.

Then I stumbled onto this. If I paint on the image no paint is visible then if I hit <ENTER> I can see my painting while in fullscreen mode. Then if I <ENTER> again to go back to a window, my paint marks are still visible but any new marks are again invisible until I return to FS mode and come back.

Any suggestions?
                      Last edited by muvariant; 03.08.2007, 06:13 AM. Reason: More information

Comment

Originally posted by muvariant View Post
                        Hi ...

This is an awesome plugin! For simple down and dirty projects I've been pixel and select-block editing with IV for years. So I installed the mod and dll. I load an image press F-12 up comes the paint controls and ... NOTHING.

It does absolutely nothing. The clone tool icons are there I can select and the palette changes but no cloning is evident on the image. Same with the paint brush. I can select the color but nothing comes out of the brush. Same for the lines and the eraser.

Then I stumbled onto this. If I paint on the image no paint is visible then if I hit <ENTER> I can see my painting while in fullscreen mode. Then if I <ENTER> again to go back to a window, my paint marks are still visible but any new marks are again invisible until I return to FS mode and come back.

Any suggestions?
                        OK ... Here is the answer. I always run with IV set to scale all images to my screen. I hate squinting at small pictures.

When I hit CTRL-H to scale 1:1, instantly IrfanPaint works. Any way to get it to work at any scale?

Thanks!

Comment

Eraser

Just a comment for you ...

I am a solid Photoshop user (where the clone select key is ALT) but there are some times a down and dirty quickie is just right. This is what I see in IrfanPaint.

On playing with the tools I noticed that the paint brush and eraser were effectively synonymous. I was reading about the concern about cluttering IV so my suggestion is that if you are not going to layers and using a "real" eraser effect, dump the eraser as it is redundant to the paint brush.

Anti-aliasing and variable density of the paint and clone tools (actually for any tool), and brush shape and edge softness selection is way more important.

Keep up the great work. Hope this feedback helps.

Comment

Eraser

Originally posted by muvariant View Post
                            Just a comment for you ...

I am a solid Photoshop user (where the clone select key is ALT) but there are some times a down and dirty quickie is just right. This is what I see in IrfanPaint.

On playing with the tools I noticed that the paint brush and eraser were effectively synonymous. I was reading about the concern about cluttering IV so my suggestion is that if you are not going to layers and using a "real" eraser effect, dump the eraser as it is redundant to the paint brush.

Anti-aliasing and variable density of the paint and clone tools (actually for any tool), and brush shape and edge softness selection is way more important.

Keep up the great work. Hope this feedback helps.
                            Another comment about the eraser. I read that someone wanted an undo. Now that would be PERFECT for the eraser. Erase back to the original (keep a copy in memory). Again quick and dirty. No remembering user strokes. Just replace the bad paint or clone with the original.

This would definitely separate the eraser function from the paint brush or clone functions and it would be a real "erasure" of the painting.

Hope this observation is useful.

Comment

@muvariant Initially I had the same problem ... but then, I changed the display options to "Do not Fit anything", scrolled through a couple of pictures to be sure it took effect, with F12 I painted some and erased a little, it worked. I then closed Irfan View, opened it again, set the Display option to the one I was using originally and tried F!2 ... and yes it started working from then on in the Display way I wanted

Hope that works for you!

Comment

Thanks Paparazzi ... I tried that and no go. IP works the same. I have to hit CTRL-H then F-12 to have the paint show up.

Comment

Working...
                                X