X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IrfanPaint - Early Betas

(Follows from this thread)
    You want an eraser? I'm working on something better... a drawing plug-in for IrfanView. Have a look here. At the moment it's just a beta (I have to fix several bugs and add some tools), but, more or less, it works.
    If you have any suggestions (or bug reports) please tell me.
    Last edited by MItaly; 19.07.2007, 02:23 PM.
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

2 MItaly
    This sure looks promising. I will check it out.
    But I'm a cautious person, so, since there is a modded iv-exe file involved, my question first, before overwriting :
    Is IV still capable of functioning normally, if for some reason the paint.dll isn't there anymore or corrupt ?
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

OMG it works

I'll give it a good workout.
      I put it in a separate folder for first test runs

Added: Shoot, Sam, just rename your original I_view32.exe, I do that all the time when installing no-install upgrades. I'm going to test it with everything going now. Woowoowoo.

This has got to go in the Plugins section, it is excellent. It will give someone else a lot of feature requests, though
      Attached Files
      Last edited by matera; 17.07.2007, 02:57 AM.
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I took it serious when reading that Irfan was involved too.
        I never just let rename my exe-file. Before that I rename I_view32.exe to I_view32o.exe to have recovery.
        A thing like this surely should be added in the plugin-section, but I still find a complicating factor, that the
        exe-file should be changed in order to let the plugin work. It shouldn't be necessary.
        Now, it's a matter of finding the current build I have to imply things.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I downloaded and installed the plugin, backed up i_view.exe and extracted the archive contents, but I don't see how to do any painting or erasing. What have I missed?
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
            2 MItaly
            But I'm a cautious person, so, since there is a modded iv-exe file involved, my question first, before overwriting :
            Is IV still capable of functioning normally, if for some reason the paint.dll isn't there anymore or corrupt ?
            Well, modded is not the right word (I'll change it in the page as soon as possible): we can say that it is a special version of IV; it is anyway built by Irfan, and it works normally if Paint.dll is not in the plugins folder.
            Originally posted by matera
            It will give someone else a lot of feature requests, though
            I think that, for the moment, my first priority is to fix bugs... try to select width 1, zoom 990% (or even less) and paint (with the paintbrush) in the lower-right part of the image: you'll notice that the pixels won't follow very well the mouse. Also try to draw quickly with zoom > 100% and look at the CPU usage... Anyway suggestions about new features (and bug reports) are always accepted.
            Originally posted by Sam_Zen
            I still find a complicating factor, that the
            exe-file should be changed in order to let the plugin work. It shouldn't be necessary.
            For any new plugin the exe has to be changed, since it must include a call to the new dll. Anyway all the changes to the exe needed in order to make IrfanPaint work will be included in the next public release of IV (the one of my site can be considerated a "nightly build").
            Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            I downloaded and installed the plugin, backed up i_view.exe and extracted the archive contents, but I don't see how to do any painting or erasing. What have I missed?
            Have you loaded an image and pressed F12?
            Last edited by MItaly; 17.07.2007, 10:57 AM.
            IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Where does it say that the user needs to press F12?

There needs to be an item on the Image menu to switch to Paint Mode.

Once in paint mode, you should have to press F12 again to switch back to view mode. At the moment, the plugin doesn't have proper control of the Irfan View window, so it is too easy to lose what you have painted/erased.

I think you need fewer features, not more. The clone tool, rectangles, ellipse, lines, arrows, etc., are overkill. For photo-editing or drawing you cannot hope to compete with dedicated programs so don't even try. Just make the basic tools really easy to use, and use as few tools as possible.

Suggestions
              1. The most obvious bug is the lack of brushes. One pointer does not fit all.
              2. A slider control like other programs or a brush picker like MS Paint would be better for changing the line width than the scroll buttons.
              3. Use a Shift or Control key modifier to constrain the brush/eraser to horizontal/vertical movement. Then you don't need the line tool.
              4. The colour picker is fine, but couldn't that be done by right click with the brush? Otherwise, use the right mouse to erase and the left to paint. The flood fill works very well like that.
              5. The tool palette would work better if it was horizontal and fitted in the IV toolbar or Window Title bar area. Then you wouldn't need to move it on zooming in.
              6. Paint mode needs its own local undo/redo. Click undo on the IV toolbar will undo only the last painting action, which is OK, but probably not what is wanted. That should undo all painting action, while the local undo/redo should keep track of actions since F12 was pressed.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                Where does it say that the user needs to press F12?
                In the page that I linked:
                To start the plug-in launch i_view32.exe, load an image and press F12.
                There needs to be an item on the Image menu to switch to Paint Mode.
                This will be added in the final build of IV.
                Once in paint mode, you should have to press F12 again to switch back to view mode. At the moment, the plugin doesn't have proper control of the Irfan View window, so it is too easy to lose what you have painted/erased.
                It's not under my control. I have to talk with Irfan about this.
                I think you need fewer features, not more. The clone tool, rectangles, ellipse, lines, arrows, etc., are overkill. For photo-editing or drawing you cannot hope to compete with dedicated programs so don't even try. Just make the basic tools really easy to use, and use as few tools as possible.
                Some more buttons in a toolbar never hurted anyone... if you don't want to use those tools you are free not to use them. I (and several betatesters) found that that tools may be often useful (the arrow tool has been added for a precise request of Irfan); for example, I just used arrow and ellipse tools to point out areas of a screenshot made with IV.
                Suggestions
                1. The most obvious bug is the lack of brushes. One pointer does not fit all.
                Are you talking about brush shapes or pointers?
                2. A slider control like other programs or a brush picker like MS Paint would be better for changing the line width than the scroll buttons.
                This could be a good idea, but there's so little space in that toolbar...
                3. Use a Shift or Control key modifier to constrain the brush/eraser to horizontal/vertical movement. Then you don't need the line tool.
                In this way you couldn't draw diagonal lines...
                4. [...] Otherwise, use the right mouse to erase and the left to paint. The flood fill works very well like that.
                This is very simple to implement. I'll do it for the next release. Anyway I'll leave two different tools (paintbrush and eraser) for the not-advanced users.
                5. The tool palette would work better if it was horizontal
                Horizontal? Hmmm, I don't like it... but maybe I could add an option to do it.
                and fitted in the IV toolbar or Window Title bar area. Then you wouldn't need to move it on zooming in.
                The integration with IV's toolbars seems to be quite hard to implement... maybe in future versions.
                6. Paint mode needs its own local undo/redo. Click undo on the IV toolbar will undo only the last painting action, which is OK, but probably not what is wanted. That should undo all painting action, while the local undo/redo should keep track of actions since F12 was pressed.
                The local undo was an early-development idea that I discarded because of its complexity: I'd need to keep track of all actions made by the user in some way without using a simple enhanced metafile DC (in a metafile I can't undo actions), so I'd need to write from scratch a lot of code. Again, maybe in future versions.
                IrfanPaint developer

Comment

MItaly,

Very interesting plugin - I like where you are going with this!

I did have a little problem at first with the edits showing on the screen - if you are not in "full size" mode, but rather in a fit to window mode, the edits don't show until you do something to reopen the image or fit the image to another size window.

Also, the way that I would use this plugin would be to add a note to an image (photo), and then use the drawing tools to highlight it/mark it up. So, any chance that you could add the text note feature that IV already has in place? (or improve it, I wouldn't mind that either!)

Thanks.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
                    This will be added in the final build of IV.
                    I guessed that it wasn't finished yet.
                    Some more buttons in a toolbar never hurt anyone... if you don't want to use those tools you are free not to use them.
                    It might seem so, but the more tools you add, the more development time it takes, and the less time you have to perfect the things that matter.

I use a nice little Wordpad clone called Jarte. The developer put back the release date by many months and it still isn't finsihed, and the interface issues, which everyone complains about, have not been fully addressed. Why? Because he wanted to add table support. However, if one wants to use Tables or graphics, why use Wordpad? Use Oo and have all the spreadsheet functions, borders, fills, etc.
                    Are you talking about brush shapes or pointers?
                    All of the tools use a white pointer cursor. I don't see a brush circle, or eraser square, or a fill bucket, or a cross-hair cursor for drawing lines and shapes.
                    This could be a good idea, but there's so little space in that toolbar...
                    Use a flyout that closes after the user has chosen the bursh size. The current field and scroll buttons are hard to use. The limits are a bit too generous. One can scroll beyond 999, though 999 is the limit. I would have said 99 was enough for a brush, but some people do work on high resolution images.
                    In this way you couldn't draw diagonal lines...
                    True, but who needs to? If I want to do drawing I will use a drawing program.

If you can double up the tools, e.g. paint and erase, or paint and pick on one tool, that not only frees up space on the toolbar, but is much more effcient to use.

Advanced mode? I don't think it is advanced to use two mouse buttons. Using more than one modifier key starts to get too complicated for new users.
                    Horizontal? Hmmm, I don't like it... but maybe I could add an option to do it.

The integration with IV's toolbars seems to be quite hard to implement... maybe in future versions.
                    Don't complicate your task by adding more options. Decide how you want the toolbar to look and design it to work best at that shape, size, and orientation. Otherwise you increase your workload without any real benefit for users.

I wasn't really thinking of docking the toolbar next to the IV toolbar, just floating it somewhere so that it doesn't need to be moved when you zoom in. If paint mode controls the application then the IV toolbar is not needed until you exit paint mode. A toggle key makes it very easy to switch back and forth.

You could position the toolbar on the left (the same as MS Paint), then zooming won't cause a problem until the window fills the screen. If it could be docked that's great, but floating is fine as long as doesn't obscure the image. If you can tie it to the window so that it moves when you resize the window then there is no problem, but putting it top left may avoid that problem in most cases.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 17.07.2007, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsc37227 View Post
                      MItaly,

Very interesting plugin - I like where you are going with this!
                      Thank you.
                      I did have a little problem at first with the edits showing on the screen - if you are not in "full size" mode, but rather in a fit to window mode, the edits don't show until you do something to reopen the image or fit the image to another size window.
                      Woa, very strange problem... it seems that, in that mode, IV saves a temporary scaled image or something like this... I'll talk about it with Irfan.
                      Also, the way that I would use this plugin would be to add a note to an image (photo), and then use the drawing tools to highlight it/mark it up. So, any chance that you could add the text note feature that IV already has in place? (or improve it, I wouldn't mind that either!)
                      It was another of the early development ideas that I discarded for the first release: now I have to work on the "new" features, then, if there'll be time, I may enhance features that IV already has.
                      Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala
                      It might seem so, but the more tools you add, the more development time it takes, and the less time you have to perfect the things that matter.
                      Theoretically you are right, but practically these extra functions are already fully implemented.
                      Advanced mode? I don't think it is advanced to use two mouse buttons. Using more than one modifier key starts to get too complicated for new users.
                      I don't talk about "advanced mode", I talk about "advanced users". For you it may be clear that left button=fg color and right button=bg color, but for a newbie it isn't. To make things more intuitive I think that is right to leave both paintbrush and eraser tool, enabling anyway advanced users like you to use both buttons of the mouse to work more quickly.
                      All of the tools use a white pointer cursor. I don't see a brush circle, or eraser square, or a fill bucket, or a cross-hair cursor for drawing lines and shapes.
                      I'll add them as soon as possible.
                      Use a flyout that closes after the user has chosen the bursh size. The current field and scroll buttons are hard to use. The limits are a bit too generous. One can scroll beyond 999, though 999 is the limit. I would have said 99 was enough for a brush, but some people do work on high resolution images.
                      Maybe I could use the same control used by PSP7 to select measures.

True, but who needs to? If I want to do drawing I will use a drawing program.
                      The idea behind IrfanPaint is to substitute other programs for this kind of little editing operations; moreover, the line tool is already implemented and writing the code that does what you suggest would be a mess (I should move around a lot of things in the code; you may be surprised to know that the freehand drawing - the paintbrush, eraser and clone tool - is the most problematic tool in my code).
                      You could position the toolbar on the left (the same as MS Paint), then zooming won't cause a problem until the window fills the screen.
                      This is very simple to do. The problem is that if I set the position of the toolbar on the left of IV window it will often be on the image if IV is used at fullscreen. Again, I can add an option so that the user is able to decide where does he want to see the toolbar (BTW, don't mind my workload: I'm on holiday, I have lot of free time ).
                      Last edited by MItaly; 17.07.2007, 09:13 PM.
                      IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Hi,

i just read the whole thread and i really like your toolbar ! Hopefully i can be more easily intergrated in IrfanView in one of the next versions - > keep on working !

btw.: You have now a "special" user title: "irfanpaint developer", so everyone knows that you wrote that plugin

steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
                          Hi,

i just read the whole thread and i really like your toolbar ! Hopefully i can be more easily intergrated in IrfanView in one of the next versions - > keep on working !
                          I'll do what I can .
                          btw.: You have now a "special" user title: "irfanpaint developer", so everyone knows that you wrote that plugin
                          Thank you.
                          IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckE
                            You are requesting that the IrfanView tool become IrfanPaint? or something like that?
                            Who wants that? I don't. Let IV remain what it is, a viewer with some extras, but not enough to bloat it.
                            ....for the rest of his life.[/U]
                            Note the Newbie badge stuck up my nose.....
                            Last edited by johncoyne3; 17.07.2007, 10:09 PM. Reason: embarrassment

Comment

Not sure what it is you are trying to say here, it must be either lost in the translation (since I am in the "States", and you are in Scotland, or that I just finished a glass of Scotch (true) and I can can hardly tell which, of the two of you, are talking (false)).

I do like IrfanView, and I have been a user for no less than about 4 years, perhaps more. I tried searching for some of my older version 2 IV files, and it seems I must have deleted them (dang!). I would not really rate myself an "IV Beginner" but I have not seen how to change my classification. If I were to give myself a classification I would say "IV Promoter"

When it comes to adding more and more features like "IrfanPaint" I am only hesitant because I would hate to see more and more bloat added to an already fine product. However, if IrfanPaint were added as a plug-in, then by all means, please bring it on! and I would probably add the IrfanPaint plug-in to all of my machines. I just love features and tricks. I just don't want to have IrfanView become a bloated, slow, harder to use tool, that I so much admire right now.
                              I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
                              Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Working...
                              X