Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with IV-Created PDF: Password Required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with IV-Created PDF: Password Required?

I scanned a document into IV 4.20 (XP SR3) as a JPG and saved as a PDF. When I tried deleting it, I could not. Two PDF viewers (Adobe Reader and PDF X-Change Viewer) indicated in Document Properties (Security Tab) that a "Permissions Password" was required ("Open Password" was not). Also, the

When I tried to re-open it in IV, I received an error message telling me to install AFPL version of Ghostwriter from sourceforge, which I did. At that point, I could open the pdf in IV. However, I am clueless on how to delete the PDF. I do not know why the IV PDF plug-in saved the document with a security password required, nor do I know how to delete the document from my hard drive (since I don't know what the password is to remove the security setting, which keeps me from doing anything--including deleting--to the document.

If this is a known problem, just let me know if there is a link to the solution in the Forum; I couldn't find it when I searched, though.

Thanks!

DrBB01

If no open password was required then you probably set the password as blank.

I also see the problem when I try to delete a password protected PDF file. Probably another process is using it. Rebooting should fix that problem.

Edit: No. Rebooting does not fix the problem. The file cannot be deleted.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 06.11.2008, 09:18 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by DrBB01 View Post
      I scanned a document into IV 4.20 (XP SR3) as a JPG and saved as a PDF. When I tried deleting it, I could not....
      The encoding of a PDF is not relevant for the action to delete a file.
      There must be a different problem (like access rights).

Comment

I am using Windows XP Home as admin. It is not a question of access rights.

Try saving this file and see if you can delete it.
        Attached Files
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post

Hi Bhikkhu,

I'm not going to try.... I believe you. My PDF does not recognize that I am the originator, so I don't even get an option to change the security status. Is this a bug in the plug-in? As a nubie, I'm not sure how to report this problem if it has not been previously identified. Any hints?

FWIW, I saved another copy of the PDF and this copy is not protected. This would be fine if I could only delete the original PDF....

Bruce

Comment

IMPDF is the developer of the plugin, so I guess the problem has already been reported.

Comment

No problem to save, open (up to the point of the password request), and to delete this file.

As I said already, a pdf is a file like all the others. As long as you try to delete it with the same access rights as the creator and no other process has a handle to it (like a virus scanner) there is no reason that it can not be deleted.
              Reboot is always a good idea in such a situation.

Comment

I also see the problem when I try to delete a password protected PDF file. Probably another process is using it. Rebooting should fix that problem.

Edit: No. Rebooting does not fix the problem. The file cannot be deleted.
                This morning, I still cannot delete either file — not the one I initially created to test the reported problem, nor the one that I downloaded from the above link. I am the only user of this computer.

When I try to delete it, the file is in use by another process.

I suspect that it is a shell extension for PDF-XChange, which is trying to generate a thumbnail for it, but cannot because of the password. I can delete other PDF files without any problem.

Confirmed. Uninstalling the thumbnail preview shell extension and rebooting fixed the problem. Reported the bug on the Tracker Forum
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 07.11.2008, 06:36 AM.

Comment

The bug is now fixed, and the update will be available in a few days.

Tracker Support response.

Comment

Thanks! Will check it in a few days.

Comment

This bug in PDF-XChange is now fixed by the latest 40.5 build.

Uninstall the current shell extension
                      Reboot
                      Check for updates.
                      Installl the latest version.

Comment

I just downloaded and installed version 4.22 earlier this week. I create a multi-page tiff file, then, open it with Irfanview, safe as a pdf. I can open the pdf file and move from page to page, but, when I go to paste pages in InDesign, I get a message that the file requires a password. I don't see any setting when I create a tif (or when I convert to pdf) asking me to enter a password, so, what is causing this problem, and how would I go about correcting it?
                        I have used Irfanview for at least 9-months on a previous machine without a problem. Do you think this is version based, or is it some other problem?
                        Thanks.

Caruso

This bug in PDF-XChange is now fixed by the latest 40.5 build.

Uninstall the current shell extension
                        Reboot
                        Check for updates.
                        Installl the latest version.

Comment

PDF files created with IrfanView (ImPDF plugin) have always two included passwords!

An owner password and an password to open the pdf file!
                          The owner password is a random password!

see:

(Click to view full size!)

That means, pdf files created with IrfanView cannot be changed/edited afterwards no more
                          with any pdf editors!
                          For such job you can use (for instance) FreePDF XP + GPL Ghostscript!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                            PDF files created with IrfanView (ImPDF plugin) have always two included passwords!

An owner password and an password to open the pdf file!
                            The owner password is a random password!

see:

(Click to view full size!)

That means, pdf files created with IrfanView cannot be changed/edited afterwards no more
                            with any pdf editors!
                            For such job you can use (for instance) FreePDF XP + GPL Ghostscript!
                            Frank, your description is correct for the case that security is enabled (the small checkbox on the top of the security panel).
                            But if security is disabled the pdfs will not be encrypted.

Comment

Frank:
                              Help me understand, please.
                              If I scan my own document(s) as tiff(s), use Irfanview to convert them to pdf(s), how do I assign the password so that I can then paste the pages into Adobe InDesign?

My conversion method has been to simply save the tif file as a PDF. Is that incorrect?

When I save as described above, there is no opportunity to assign a pdf password, and I am receiving an error message as the save completes.

I had not experienced this problem on my last computer, so I'm scratching my head to figure out what has changed.

Thanks for your reply. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Caruso

Comment

Working...
                              X