No announcement yet.

Create a slideshow 4.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I stick with bizarre.... and the deeper I look.....

It is pretty well universal in Windows that if a Control button has the focus (usually indicated by highlighting in pale blue) then pressing Enter will perform the "click" action. As you say there is a second focus for Settings boxes (indicated by a dotted line around a caption, or highlighting text or data in deep blue). Usually pressing Space bar performs some action on that. Now that you point it out I see that in IrfanView you can often "click" a highlighted Control button with either Enter or Space bar.

In the Slideshow dialog though the rules are all different. The only Control buttons that correctly respond to Enter when highlighted are Add and Close. Nearly all the others do nothing when Enter is pressed, but "Play Slideshow" will do an "Add" and move an entry from the File Name text box to the image list. All buttons respond to Space bar except Add. That only responds to Enter.

In this dialog only one item can be highlighted, either a Control button or a Setting box, but not both at the same time. When a Settings box is highlighted pressing Enter usually does an Add action even though that button is not shown highlighted.

Now what do you call that?

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      Now what do you call that?
      What do I call it? Why do you think we are in the Bugreports forum! Either we aren't appreciating or understanding Irfan's sophisticated programming or something is truly goofed up. And the extent of which seems to depend on the system in some way.

It is pretty well universal in Windows that if a Control button has the focus (usually indicated by highlighting in pale blue) then pressing Enter will perform the "click" action. As you say there is a second focus for Settings boxes (indicated by a dotted line around a caption, or highlighting text or data in deep blue). Usually pressing Space bar performs some action on that. Now that you point it out I see that in IrfanView you can often "click" a highlighted Control button with either Enter or Space bar.
      I don't use visual styles, but I know what you mean.

In the Slideshow dialog though the rules are all different. The only Control buttons that correctly respond to Enter when highlighted are Add and Close. Nearly all the others do nothing when Enter is pressed, but "Play Slideshow" will do an "Add" and move an entry from the File Name text box to the image list. All buttons respond to Space bar except Add. That only responds to Enter.
      Interesting. So Add, doesn't respond to Space bar on your machine either. But, the file name does disapear, right? So, you are experiencing the original problem, just with the keyboard, instead of the mouse. I should have tried Play with Enter, but I figured it would work. Apparently not.

In this dialog only one item can be highlighted, either a Control button or a Setting box, but not both at the same time. When a Settings box is highlighted pressing Enter usually does an Add action even though that button is not shown highlighted.
      Generally that is true, but not always. When you open Slideshow, notice Add is highlighted (but not dotted). Select a file, and SHIFT+Tab to a setting such as 'Centered'. It will be dotted, but 'Add' will still be highlighted!

Alright, Slideshow and Batch are bizarre.

Comment

It gets worse...
        Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
        Interesting. So Add, doesn't respond to Space bar on your machine either. But, the file name does disapear, right? So, you are experiencing the original problem, just with the keyboard, instead of the mouse. I should have tried Play with Enter, but I figured it would work. Apparently not.
        The Add button works differently at different times. When you first open the dialog you can click on a file name in the Look At box and the Add button remains highlighted. In this state the keys work as I described, Enter transfers the name to the list, Space does nothing. If you Tab away through another control button, the Add button is no longer highlighted, but now if you tab back to Add it has all changed. First of all when you click on a file name in Look At then Add is no longer highlighted. Tab back to Add and the keys are now reversed, Enter does nothing and Space transfers it to the list.

I cannot reproduce the effect you have though, where the name disappears from the File name box without appearing on the list.

I reckon we're up to 3 eeks

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          The Add button works differently at different times.
          The difference may be in the highlighting. Notice that 'Add' starts highlighted, but after it is lost, tabbing back to it makes it dotted. Perhaps only dotted items can respond to Space bar, but not Enter, and vice-versa? I know, it makes no sense...

I cannot reproduce the effect you have though, where the name disappears from the File name box without appearing on the list.
          Hmmm. It seems I cannot use either the Space bar or the mouse on the Add button no matter the state, despite the disappearing file name. Double-clicking and using Enter at the right times are the only ones that work. Assuming that all the observations we've made are normal, the problem still is quite exclusive to a certain system configuration. Everything appears the same between us except that. So the problem is still very isolated.

I reckon we're up to 3 eeks
          Hard to believe we feel comfortable using this software, or any, given all these endless bugs!

Yes, we are drowning in 's with IV.

Comment

The difference may be in the highlighting. Notice that 'Add' starts highlighted, but after it is lost, tabbing back to it makes it dotted. Perhaps only dotted items can respond to Space bar, but not Enter, and vice-versa? I know, it makes no sense...
            Yes, you are right. That initial highlighting of the Add button is the red herring, it is not really selected at all. At any time, whatever was highlighted, I can click in the Look At box and transfer an entry to File name. Then just pressing Enter will move it to the list.
            Clearly it is the File name box that has the focus and responds to the Enter. When Add does truly have focus it needs Space not Enter to add the file name to the list. In that state, as you say, there is a dotted line around the caption on the button.

That makes a bit more sense. Only now.

Comment

And so we wait for a solution, possibly forever

Comment

Thanks Mij for all your observations.

Comment

A pleasure. Only sorry we could not make any sense of your problem.

Comment

"Add" button Slideshow Bug : Unable to add single file to the slideshow list

I am not sure if this is a known bug. I encountered this while creating a slideshow.

Bug : Unable to add one single file to the slideshow list using "Add" button.

Steps to repro:
                    =========
                    1. Click File > Slideshow
                    2. Select one filename from the list of files seen in "Look in" directory and add to the slideshow list using "ADD" button.
                    3. Note that file is not added to the list.
                    4. Play the slideshow...you will not see image of the file.

Expected Result :
                    ===========
                    File should be added to the list. Slideshow files : (1)

Actual Result:
                    ==========
                    The file selected is not added to the list. Slideshow files 0) instead of (1).

Comment

Well Mij, it appears there is another victim!

Comment

Well Mij, it appears there is another victim!
                        Yeah, I sympathize , but tell Irfan, not me. I'm clean out of ideas.

Comment

I know, I'm just offering a little humor, since you are so acquainted with the problem. Thanks for your sympathy though.

Comment

Found Solution!

Well, as usual we look to the place we should have look to first, last. FAQ. The problem appears there.

Q: Bug report: The Add button in the slideshow/batch dialog won't add the selected file to the file list.

A: There is a Windows Explorer "feature": Hide file extensions for known file types. Please deactivate this default (and stupid) Explorer option to show files with their real names and extensions!
                            Still seems flawed, but at least there is a solution!

Comment

I guess we can move this to the support forum, since it is not really a bug, or if it is, it is already known about.
                              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Well it has taken 3 pages to discover that it is known about. Irfan may consider that this is a stupid Windows option (and I tend to agree) but it is the default state and users will go on stumbling over this known about bug until it is fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X