Support for Kodak PhotoCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support for Kodak PhotoCD

IrfanView is one of the last applications to support this scanning format that Kodak appears to have abandoned in the late 1990s. Adobe Photoshop stopped its own support a couple versions ago.

I have need to retrieve some images from some old PhotoCD discs, and believed that IrfanView was the way to go, because it displayed the images without difficulty. But then I noticed that it only allowed one of the stored resolutions, and I have not found the means to select among the several sizes and resolutions that the Kodak file format provides. Eventually, I dug up an old copy of Photoshop Elements (4) that supports PhotoCD (.PCD) files, and am converting them one by one to a usable format (choosing the largest stored size of image).

I just want to make sure that I am correct in saying that IrfanView supports only one size within the PCD file format. Please correct me, if I have missed the way that IrfanView controls how it deals with PCD files.

Originally posted by michael.broschat View Post
    I just want to make sure that I am correct in saying that IrfanView supports only one size within the PCD file format. Please correct me, if I have missed the way that IrfanView controls how it deals with PCD files.
    Hardly. Go to Properties>JPG/PCD/GIF and look at the Photo CD - Loading size section. This part allows you to choose the size at which Photo CD images are loaded. Click one of the option buttons to make your selection. Note the reminder that you need the PhotoCD PlugIn to get the higher resolutions! See, easy!

Comment

Success

Thank you. That is, indeed, the solution.

The Kodak properties dialog box has two more features for configuration: color profile and resolution (pixels per inch). I found no difference between IrfanView conversions from PCD and those done through Photoshop, and the resolution issue (not for me--I don't print pictures) is handled by my editors (Paint.NET and Photoshop Elements).

This is the way to go for PhotoCD conversion...

Comment

Working...
      X