Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Image Analysis ! (intelligent image optimizing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by di2ger View Post
    Thank you all for your comments.
    I'm author of Image Analysis.

There are many things to do in that program, but I don't have enough time for that right now.

What about PNG.. Is PNGOut not the best PNG compressor? (http://advsys.net/ken/utils.htm#pngout)?
    Ah, you use PNGout? Great!
    It's certainly one of the best. IrfanView also uses it as a plugin for PNG-saving. As promised above, I'll post "the ultimate guide to PNG optimization" later on ...
    Last edited by boarder's paradise; 06.12.2008, 12:50 AM.

Comment

di2ger, you know what would be "the hammer" ? If your program served as a front-end with some conversion tools built-in ...

(... as is the case right now ...)

... but additionally would allow the user to add further converters. Your program would serve as a "front-end" for all these converters. That would be "the killer" if I may say so ...

The way I would imagine it, would be like this:

1) The user copies a command line tool (someconverter.exe) into %programfiles%\ImageAnalysis\Converters

2) Somewhere in the options, you provide a place with empty lines, where the user specifies the converter's name (someconverter.exe) and the command line parameters the converter needs

And I think the rest is more or less the same as with the built-in converters.

PS: And if you want to make your program the BEST PROGRAM IN THE WORLD maybe you find a way to "combine" converters that produce the same lossless output format. For example if the user specifies 4 png converters, you wouldn't just compare which of the three independently gives the best result, but you take the output from converter 1 and feed converter 2 with it, and the same for 2->3 and 3->4.
      I wrote a small batch file for that purpose and I post it here in a second. But you know ... who is going to use a cumbersome old batch file, if he/she can have a slick tool like with an appealing GUI and splendid graphs ....
      So maybe you want to incorporate this idea into your program ? I know, you said, you don't have enough time right now, but maybe one day ...

Comment

What about PNG.. Is PNGOut not the best PNG compressor? (http://advsys.net/ken/utils.htm#pngout)?
        Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
        Please tell me more about your PNG tools
        OK, finally I found the time for that. Here it is:

And Lucian, I have some interesting e-mail conversations with the authors. If you plan to implement some ideas of this thread or the one we are currently reading, just send me a PM with your email address and I email you the interesting parts.

Comment

And di2ger, I know you said, you don't have the time right now. But just to sum it up succinctly to be able to come back here one day.

So far my suggestions (via e-mail) were:

1) Scrolling the full-size image in the images tab (for example with right mouse button, like when you move the graph)
          2) in-place-comparison: click into the image and the image switches from original to optimized
          3) "minimum file size gain": not only in percentage (%) but also in absolute file size (for example 200 kB) and choose whether both conditions must be met or if one is enough.

Keep up the excellent work! As I said, your program is the killer ...

Comment

Answers

Originally posted by boarder's paradise
            Welcome to the forum di2ger
            Thank you.
            Did you find us by accident or because of my e-mail
            Ah, you use PNGout?
            As the external convertor.
            you wouldn't just compare which of the three independently gives the best result, but you take the output from converter 1 and feed converter 2 with it, and the same for 2->3 and 3->4.
            I think, you are wrong. It doesn't help. As I know, converters always start from uncompressed image (so, they will decompress image before compression).
            Originally posted by boarder's paradise View Post
            1) The user copies a command line tool (someconverter.exe) into %programfiles%\ImageAnalysis\Converters

2) Somewhere in the options, you provide a place with empty lines, where the user specifies the converter's name (someconverter.exe) and the command line parameters the converter needs
            То ли я дурак, то ли что?
            Please look to the screenshot:

what command-line options are they?
            I told about this command line parameters for external convertors, but not about the way you start my program itself.
            For now, it's only one parameter:
            ImageAnalysis.exe [ImageFileNameForAnalysis]
            where ImageFileNameForAnalysis is image file name for analysis.

Comment

Thank you.

I think, you are wrong. It doesn't help. As I know, converters always start from uncompressed image (so, they will decompress image before compression).
              From what I've read, for some converters it makes a difference. But it might be wrong, you certainly know more about that than me.

То ли я дурак, то ли что?
              не расстраивайся, пожалуйста. я не хотел тебя обидеть. но так как у нас случались недопонимания на английском в прошлом, я старался все хорошо объяснить. может быть я перестарался? извини

Please look to the screenshot:
              I'm very sorry. Somehow I completely missed the "add", "set", "delete", "clear" ... buttons, the whole row. I wasn't aware that the user can add other converters. I am speechless, because that makes your already wonderful program so much more powerful !!
              And thanks for the commandline parameter info. Maybe a second parameter (ImageAnalysis.exe image1.jpg image2.jpg) would be useful to load both images in the program from the command line, not just the first one.
              Last edited by boarder's paradise; 07.12.2008, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Dima, I've been adding a couple of converters since the other day, and it works great! Fascinating program you have.

There are minor issues, maybe you have an idea ?

1) A couple of converters don't have an <OutputFile> parameter. They only have <InputFile> and if they can make a smaller file, they just overwrite <InputFile>. Is there any possibility/workaround to use these converters with your program nevertheless ?

2) Some converters (like PNGcrush I think) try several different methods and write <OutputFile> every time they find a smaller file. I have the impression, that ImageAnalysis takes the first file written to harddisk as the finalresult, although the converter is still busy trying other methods and will possibly write smaller <OutputFile>(s) later on still. At least, that's my impression. Any possibility to get around this ?

3) From times to times I get timeout errors for the converters. But they appear very randomly, it's not always the same converter, and sometimes I get no error at all. And sometimes, when I run an analysis and I get a timeout-error it may even happen, that I rerun the analysis (without changing the settings!) and get no error ...

Anyway, congratulations again for your good work.
                Last edited by boarder's paradise; 08.12.2008, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Answers 2

some converters it makes a difference.
                  I think it's not convertors, it's optimizers!
                  не расстраивайся, пожалуйста.
                  It's ok, it's kind of idiom, when I wonder about misunderstandings in obvious things.
                  Maybe a second parameter
                  Maybe. A lot to do in this project.. Who would donate for this?
                  Fascinating program you have.
                  Thank you. But... it's kind of beta software... So many bugs..

1) Oops.. You could make a bat file with both parameters, but result file name must be different from source (you can rename it in bat file).
                  2) Same idea - make intermediate bat file, who will rename result file in the end of all.
                  3) Yea, it's buggy. It depends from cpu usage, priority...

Comment

thanks for getting back to us here

It's ok, it's kind of idiom, when I wonder about misunderstandings in obvious things.
                    Ok,good. Relieved to hear that.

Maybe. A lot to do in this project.. Who would donate for this?
                    I didn't see a donation possibility on your website. Maybe a good idea to add one there. I think the easiest way would be via paypal. Money transfer is free for you, too (if no credit cards used).

Thank you. But... it's kind of beta software... So many bugs..
                    Aside from the things mentioned, I couldn't find anything. It rules IMHO !

1) Oops.. You could make a bat file with both parameters, but result file name must be different from source (you can rename it in bat file).
                    2) Same idea - make intermediate bat file, who will rename result file in the end of all.
                    Good idea. With the batch file I call the optimizer and tell it to save the file. But which filename and path do I have to use exactly for saving so that your program "catches" the saved file, once it is ready, and adds it into the graph ?

3) Yea, it's buggy. It depends from cpu usage, priority...
                    maybe with the batch file, this gets better, too. I'll tell you afterwards.

Comment

But which filename and path do I have to use exactly for saving
                      <OutputFile>
                      maybe with the batch file, this gets better
                      It's always bad with long-proccessing-converters. My program just can't wait for so long!

Comment

Ah yes, obviously. Sorry, I'm not really a "batch king" Thanks for your ideas.

Comment

Working...
                        X