Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Image Analysis ! (intelligent image optimizing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Image Analysis ! (intelligent image optimizing)

Hi.

I discovered an incredible program a while ago, which would be an enormous asset for IrfanView if integrated as-is (or at least some of its functions) into IV - either into the main program or into RIOT.

ImageAnalysis:
    dimagurov - the new blog in LiveJournal. There should be new interesting records soon.

(1st link is original homepage, 2nd link is google translation, as the page is in Russian, but I assure you it's totaly worth the extra effort for non-russian speakers!)

The goal: to convert the image to the smallest file size possible while maintaining a minimum user-defined similarity percentage.

The concept: is really so simple and effective that I wonder why noone else has come up with this before: the program converts the image into .gif .png and .jpeg (in different quality levels for the latter), and chooses the smallest file that still matches a minimum similarity.

Judging from his other apps on his homepage, the author seems to be quite maths-savvy, so he seems to apply a sophisticated method to determine the similarity (color-similarity and luminosity-similarity).

procedure:
    1) user opens file
    2) (optional) user enters/changes minimum similarity percentage
    3) user clicks on analyze
    4) if satisfied user clicks on save (otherwise changes the parameters)

As simple as it can get !!

There's also a batch conversion mode to optimize all files on your harddisk if you wish!

Here are a few screenshots:

results of the analysis:

see optimized image:

batch mode:

There are many options available. For example you can specify a minimum percentage of file size gain and if this gain is not reached, the original file is kept as is.
    Options:

The program uses different converters. So there's always the possibility to extend it further:

Comment

It seems a very good ideea, but there are some problems. A similarity of 98 seems good for small size images.

For big images if you uncheck autoresize the program fails to analyze the image.
      The GUI It's a little dissorganized and it does not seem to properly choose quantization parameters for images with few colors.

I think it is ingenious for JPEG, but poorly implemented for GIF and PNG.
      I could try to insert such a function in RIOT, but without those useless graphs or settings - just automatic with some presets like high, medium and poor quality.
      Who need that graph if the format specific settings cannot be changed anyway ?
      RIOT developer
      visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
        It seems a very good ideea, but there are some problems. A similarity of 98 seems good for small size images.
        you can choose the similarity percentage yourself

For big images if you uncheck autoresize the program fails to analyze the image.
        Maybe your images are corrupt? I never had images that completely failed to analyze.

The GUI It's a little dissorganized and it does not seem to properly choose quantization parameters for images with few colors.
        Come on, it's a nice little freeware app by a hobby programmer. I give him credit for that, especially when there is no other program around that does anything comparable!
        Besides, I find the GUI quite appealing. What do you dislike ?

It uses external converters. If they don't perform well, that's not an immediate fault of the program. But of course, better converters are always welcome. You can contact the author Dima GuroV. via e-mail in english. He reliably writes back. I had a few exchanges with him already. ICQ: 292730111 His e-Mail is here: http://freewareonnet.blogspot.com/20...detection.html

I could try to insert such a function in RIOT, but without those useless graphs or settings - just automatic with some presets like high, medium and poor quality.
        Obviuosly an implementation without graphs is better than no implementation and personally I would be very happy about *ANY* implementation from your side, Lucian.
        In my view, the graphs are quite interesting, because they show you how the program really works, the performance curves, etc. It helps you a lot in determining quality levels/file sizes for your specific needs.
        And as far as the presets are concerned (high, medium, poor) ... do you mean that that would replace the "JPEG step" in ImageAnalysis ?
        Last edited by boarder's paradise; 24.11.2008, 06:06 PM.

Comment

And if you really implement it, you could of course use better GIF and PNG converters.

As far as PNG is concerned, I have spent a long, long time studying different PNG-optimization programs to determine the best parameters and the best order of program calls and wrote a batch file for the whole procedure. I very rarely came across a .png file, that I couldn't optimize further with my method. If you are interested I can post the whole thing somewhere here ...

Comment

Oh, I appreciate his effort and I like the ideea. I tried with a 6 megapixels image and that did not work. I noticed that if I disable autoresize the program does not work.

He uses external and internal libraries. I tested with all converters.
            For JPEG the results are fine, though I think he is using a modified JPEG library internally that over compresses files on high quality settings. The XnView library is better.

Like I said this is a nice tool, but it does not seem to use quantization or any kind of png optimizations and this makes it poor for PNG and GIF.
            RIOT is also poor for PNG optimization and I want to change that, but it has at least color quantization to reduce colors.

The graph is nice, but I would replace that with a progress bar.
            I don't understand a thing: why the program is in english and the website in russian?
            RIOT developer

Comment

For specific questions, please contact Dima (I posted his whereabouts above).
              I was less focused on the quality of the converters than on the basic principle underlying his program: Multiple-conversions and similarity tests. That's the stunning thing about it.
              Obviously, if you use better conversions, your implementation will be better. If you seriously consider to add some of the png optimization tools, that I use, I'll post them here, together with the batch file. They are all freeware and command-line operational.

Comment

And as far as the graphs are concerned: they are obviously hard to code, so if that gives you some headache, that's perfectly understandable. I thought you could use the Dima's graph functions "as-is" without any extra code-work. Obviously, that part is not vital, but it's really interesting and helpful to see what the program does exactly and how big the filesizes are for different parameters ... and that's what the user is actually looking for.

Comment

Please tell me more about your PNG tools
                  RIOT developer

Comment

Please tell me more about your PNG tools
                    Good to hear that. They are all command line tools, so I think you could implement them easily in your application. As far as I can remember they are all freeware and I had e-mail contact with some authors, they were all friendly and ready to discuss technical questions about it.

I'll post them here soon, together with a description.

Comment

Image Analysis

Thank you all for your comments.
                      I'm author of Image Analysis.

There are many things to do in that program, but I don't have enough time for that right now.

What about PNG.. Is PNGOut not the best PNG compressor? (http://advsys.net/ken/utils.htm#pngout)?

Comment

You can change it using command-line options.

Comment

why the program is in english and the website in russian?
                          Why not?
                          I'm russian, but english fits in GUI better, than russian.

Comment

Originally posted by di2ger View Post
                            Why not?
                            I'm russian, but english fits in GUI better, than russian.

Welcome to the forum di2ger. I'm so happy that you show up here, that's very nice of you! Did you find us by accident or because of my e-mail ?
                            Last edited by boarder's paradise; 06.12.2008, 12:23 AM.

Comment

What do you mean by that?

Originally posted by di2ger View Post
                              You can change it using command-line options.
                              what command-line options are they? I looked through the russian help file, but couldn't see anything that remotely looked like a command-line option to me (non-russian speaker)

Is there a list with command-line options? That would be indeed wonderful !
                              Last edited by boarder's paradise; 06.12.2008, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X