always suggest current dir for batch conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested always suggest current dir for batch conversion

The IV batch converter always suggests the last used directory by default. I think this makes sense for about 50% of the users. But I'm sure at least 50% of users would always use either
    a) the current directory
    or
    b) always the same directory

I always use the current directory for example (in order to handily compare file size and image quality before deleting the original files). I don't know how many times I forget to click on "use current 'look-in' directory" ... and then my files are anywhere and I have to look for them, move them, etc. It's cumbersome. And even if I didn't forget, it would still be so much more pleasant not to worry about that every time.

My suggestion:

add an option for the batch conversion mode like this:

always suggest:
    * no directory
    * last used directory
    * current directory
    * this directory: ________________ (text field, enter directory here)

This functionality already exists. Unchecking Properties>Misc. 2>Miscellaneous:>Open Batch dialog in last used batch folder will use the current folder. If no folder is open, then it will use the program start folder on the same tab. Notice you can specify a specific folder.

Moreover, you can start the batch dialog from the current directory if you are working in thumbnails by choosing File>Start batch dialog with selected files. Command can also be called by the context menu or pressing B.
    Last edited by Skippybox; 26.11.2008, 08:52 PM.

Comment

But as far as I can see, it's not yet possible to have the current dir suggested by default when opening the batch dialog from IV (not the thumbnail viewer), right ?
      Last edited by boarder's paradise; 26.11.2008, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Like I said, you can, just by unchecking the option Open Batch dialog in last used batch folder.
        Last edited by Skippybox; 26.11.2008, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I never had this option checked. And I have "set program start folder" to none. Still, the batch dialog always suggests me the folder I last used for batch conversion. Try it out.

Comment

I did and it works for me. You said you wanted it to use the current folder, so you need to have an image open, thumbnails open, or have recently opened either. If you don't, then you will get your last used folder as you say. Seems normal to me.

Comment

I tried it with just the EXE and both those options are like you say you have by default. However, it still opens the current directory in the batch dialog if an image is loaded. Try it and see.

Comment

What do you mean ... "with just the exe" ?. Like starting IV without parameters, is that what you mean?
                Do you think it would help if I post my .ini file here ?

Okay, really in slow-motion:

1) I double-click on a .jpg file in C:\
                2) IV opens (since I have this filetype associated with IV by default)
                3) I verify that my settings are correct:
                properties/settings>>misc.2>>set program start folder:none
                properties/settings>>misc.2>>open batch dialog in last used batch folder : unchecked/disabled/inactive
                --> Yes, the settings are correct. Continuing.
                4) I press B
                5) I see this:
                Output directory for result files:
                D:\desktop
                (which is the last directory I used for batch conversion)
                6) I have to click on "use current 'look-in' directory" (which I want to avoid) to batch-process in c:\

Comment

Originally posted by boarder's paradise View Post
                  What do you mean ... "with just the exe" ?. Like starting IV without parameters, is that what you mean?
                  I meant copy the i_view32.exe file someplace else and run it there. You'd be starting with all defaults.

I figured out the problem. I read your initial post too quickly and missed that this is the output and not the input. My apologies, you're right you can't change that. Your idea is very good.

Unless you knew exactly where the output should be in certain situations, an alternate ini would be useless. So the button actually is quite good. But, your idea far better.

Comment

Thanks. I hope God hears us ... one day ...

Comment

Here is the script I was talking about (and you helped create ):

Code:
                      @echo off
                      setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

set input=%1
                      set path=%~d1%~p1
                      set install=D:\appz\IrfanView\
                      set ini1=i_view32.ini
                      set ini2=iv_tmp.ini

if exist %install%%ini2% del %install%%ini2%
                      for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%a in (%install%%ini1%) do (

set write=%%a
                      if "!write:~0,11!"=="OutputPath=" set write=OutputPath=%path%
                      (echo !write!)>>%install%%ini2%
                      )

del %install%%ini1%
                      ren %install%%ini2% %ini1%

%install%i_view32.lnk %input%
                      Basically, just drop a file on the script file (or use another method) and it will write the revised ini before loading your image in IrfanView for you. Go in to Batch and voilĂ , your output directory matches the input directory!

Obviously, test prior to implementation. I hope there are no other OutputPath's in the ini.
                      Last edited by Skippybox; 11.12.2008, 09:59 PM. Reason: Updated Script-Fixed errors

Comment

That's a very clever idea. I am certainly going to test that out in the next days, this works for sure! You know, you could have just told me the idea and let me figure out the script as well You reaaaally make me have bad conscious now ... Thanks so much.

Comment

Shit ... I forgot this: I have my image file formats associated with IrfanView. I just hit enter or double click them and IV starts. I think it will be require some registry hacking to replace the file association for all image files with this batch script ...

Comment

BTW, just out of curiosity ... I looked to find Irfan's last post here and couldn't find a single one. Is that possible ? He is not in the alphabetical user list. But in the advanced search, if you search by user, "Irfan Skiljan" is auto-suggested if you enter the first letters, but no post is found. And I never saw him around here either. How can I find his postings ?

Comment

You know, you could have just told me the idea and let me figure out the script as well You reaaaally make me have bad conscious now ... Thanks so much.
                              Well, I like the challenge. Perhaps, but you always had the chance to come up with it. Even after you got the core code to work. That was a hint. So sorry.

Shit ... I forgot this: I have my image file formats associated with IrfanView. I just hit enter or double click them and IV starts. I think it will be require some registry hacking to replace the file association for all image files with this batch script ...
                              Yah, I didn't like making such an integration. You don't always need the functionality all the time. I figured you could alter your method to accommodate this. If you put the script in Send To, you can send any file using the shell menu. If that is too slow, you should get in the habit of dropping files on a shortcut that is always visible.

BTW, just out of curiosity ... I looked to find Irfan's last post here and couldn't find a single one. Is that possible ? He is not in the alphabetical user list. But in the advanced search, if you search by user, "Irfan Skiljan" is auto-suggested if you enter the first letters, but no post is found. And I never saw him around here either. How can I find his postings ?
                              I didn't think he was a member. I don't recall him ever posting. Maybe it is an entry made by the administrator to facilitate the Project Tools. I really don't know how he does things. Basically, his presence is nonexistent on the forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X