drag window by clicking anywhere if using "hide caption"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested drag window by clicking anywhere if using "hide caption"

When using "hide caption" (Alt+shift+C), the windows title bar disappears and as far as I can see, the window can't be moved.

Suggestion: Moving window by clicking+dragging anywhere inside the window (or at least on the toolbars, but they can be turned off ...)

Also, IV should remember the "hide caption" status. IV remembers the toolbar's and status bar's visibility status between sessions, so IMO IV shouldn't forget about "hide caption" status either.
    Last edited by Frank; 23.06.2009, 10:43 AM. Reason: Merged your last two single posts!

You haven't been reading the manual bro...

This is a safety feature, just like the menu bar is restored in case you forget how to restore it.

You can disable both by using a command line switch or modifying the ini.

You already can move the window without a caption bar. ALT+Space bar>Move. Using the arrow keys or after initially arrowing, the mouse as well.

Comment

damn, he knows everything ....

"You can disable both"... did you mean the bars or the "safety feature" per se?

And yes, alt+space bar ... forgot about that. That should work for any windows program. So if I want to move the window with the mouse, I have to press:

Alt + space bar + M (for move) + right arrow (for example) + mouse dragging

right? Or is there an easier way?
      This will soon get as tricky as the secret "ultra combo" key combination in mortal combat

Comment

Originally posted by boarder's paradise View Post
        damn, he knows everything ....
        And don't you forget it.

"You can disable both"... did you mean the bars or the "safety feature" per se?
        I guess both. Either use the /hide switch which you know about or in the ini file, write in section [Menu] Active=0 to hide menu, in section [Caption] Active=0, to hide the program title.

I have to press:

Alt + space bar + M (for move) + right arrow (for example) + mouse dragging

right? Or is there an easier way?
        Make sure the window is in the right position to begin with? Either that or enable the caption, move, disable caption. You pick. Why the need to move?

This will soon get as tricky as the secret "ultra combo" key combination in mortal combat
        Well, you asked. Not everything can be easy. There are always consequences. I don't see clicking in the window as possible as that is reserved for selection box.

Comment

Thanks for your ideas. I didn't mean to make fun of your workaround, it really helps me, I just had to think about mortal combat and found that funny ... you know all these hyper-secret key-combinations, boody finishing moves, etc.

still, I'd find the original suggestion very helpful: Moving window by clicking+dragging anywhere inside the window
          Last edited by Frank; 23.06.2009, 10:43 AM. Reason: Merged your last two single posts!

Comment

I didn't mean to make fun of your workaround, it really helps me, I just had to think about mortal combat and found that funny ... you know all these hyper-secret key-combinations, boody finishing moves, etc.
            I didn't take it negative. Yeah, it is funny, but I never played though.

Where do you want the window(s) moved? You can have them placed side-by-side using Windows, prior to hiding the bar, or change the position in the ini.

Comment

You know sometimes I have to write an article and need to look at an image at the same time (geographical map, technical graphic, etc.). So I would need a floating image. IrfanView can't do that, but I have a small background app that can sticky any window. Of course I need to move the image once in a while so that it doesn't get in the way of my typing. I don't really understand why the naked IrfanView window isn't movable ... Windows should always be movable in my opinion. You said that it's because a mouse-left click is needed for selecting. But I doubt that one would want naked mode for editing pictures anyway. And certainly not at the expense of not being to move the window either. Can you understand what I mean ?

Anyway, I was looking for another program that could display images chromeless, but didn't find anything. Just in case you happen to know one by any chance ...

Comment

But I doubt that one would want naked mode for editing pictures anyway. And certainly not at the expense of not being to move the window either. Can you understand what I mean ?
                Actually, I think that is exactly what it is good for. Fullscreen is so limited, so having a similar display that you can edit with makes sense. I understand wanting to move the window easily.

Anyway, I was looking for another program that could display images chromeless, but didn't find anything. Just in case you happen to know one by any chance ...
                A good one I use is FastStone MaxView 2.1, which has a special autohide hybrid title/menu bar and hidden panels. So, you can move it anytime! It even has a true borderless window option which is better than IrfanView. It also has a cool roll-up feature that leaves just the title bar, plus a bunch of other great features. Unfortunately, 2.2 seems to be totally different and I hate it. Worse yet, the current version is 2.3 and it is now shareware! So, if you can find 2.1, I recommend that.

IrfanView can display images borderless in window slideshow mode, but obviously you can't move that around on demand.

Comment

thanks for the info about MaxView. What is it that you disliked about the transition from 2.1 to 2.2, what is the difference ?

And how can IV display images borderless in window slideshow mode ... what does that mean ? Somehow I have no clue what you are referring to ...

Comment

What is it that you disliked about the transition from 2.1 to 2.2, what is the difference ?
                    They changed the interface, which had made it great. They took out the borderless option, made a hidden panel into a visible toolbar, took away the autohiding hybrid bar and replaced it with two visible toolbars instead, plus added a status bar. Maybe I don't get it, but it doesn't sound like MaxView to me anymore. I studied the options and I can't find anyway to change this new interface. I think I will complain, but it doesn't matter, it's shareware now. I've gone back to 2.1.

Here's MaxView 2.1 and 2.2. 2.2 is on the top and three instances of 2.1 are on the bottom. First one shows the roll-up feature, second one shows the auto-hide hybrid title/menu bar with the pointer hovering over, and the third shows it hidden.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MaxView 2.1vs2.2.png
Views:	1
Size:	722.8 KB
ID:	79534

And how can IV display images borderless in window slideshow mode ... what does that mean ? Somehow I have no clue what you are referring to ...
                    In the IrfanView slideshow dialog there is a play mode where there are two options, full screen mode and window mode. Window mode allows you to specify the position and size of the borderless window for the show to display in.

Here's what it looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IV Window Show.png
Views:	1
Size:	885.5 KB
ID:	79533
                    Last edited by Skippybox; 19.03.2009, 07:30 PM.

Comment

thanks so much. Somehow I never noticed that naked-window-slide-show-feature ... awesome! I still have a hard time understanding the concept of unmovable windows, but well ... Anyway, that's a cutie feature.
                      And thanks for the MaxView review. Good to know that, because on my own, I would have never found that. Maybe 2.2 one day ... if at all ... and I would have deleted it quickly and never gotten round to 2.1 .... looks good your screenshots !

Comment

You can still get Maxview 2.1 from FileHippo. It is odd that Maxview has become Shareware but Faststone Image Viewer is still free, since Image Viewer includes most of what Maxview does and a lot more. Unfortunately one thing it can't do is display frameless in windowed view which is what this post is about.
                        Nevertheless the ability to access all the menus, toolbars, etc. from a fullscreen mode still makes it well worth having. In so many ways it leaves Irfanview standing.

Comment

I hide menu bar, msg bar, title bar and status bar on start. i'm using alt+clicking+dragging; this function is provided by virtuaWin.

Comment

Working...
                          X