Create your own Free Truetype Fonts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create your own Free Truetype Fonts

I guess this qualifies as Freeware — though it is a service rather than a software product.

At YourFonts.com you can get your own Truetype fonts made for free:
    • Your own handwriting turned into your very own font for free
    • Optionally include your signature
    • Use your fonts on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
    • Personalize your digital scrapbook pages
    • Make your own "family handwriting history"
    • Make as many fonts as you like
    • Use your fonts in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and every program that you own
    • Make fonts that cover one or more of the following languages:
    • English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Polish, Spanish, Portuguese, Basque, Estonian, Faeroese, Frisian, Irish, Galician, Hungarian, Icelandic, Albanian and Esperanto.

The service uses the same font creation engine as Scanahand, a Shareware product, to generate fonts from a template, which you have to fill in with a suitable pen. Read my review of Scanahand for some useful tips before trying to create your own font.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.12.2008, 11:15 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Really nice! I just created my font from my terrible writing; the result is some kind of Comic Sans MS.
    BTW, do you know exactly what are limitations of the trial version of Scanahand? I didn't manage to find this info on its site.
    Attached Files
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
      Really nice! I just created my font from my terrible writing; the result is some kind of Comic Sans MS.
      BTW, do you know exactly what are limitations of the trial version of Scanahand? I didn't manage to find this info on its site.
      How long did it take altogether?

The trial version of Scanahand cannot save fonts. You can try out all the various features and see how it works, but you can only see your font working in the preview of Scanahand. You cannot save or install it. The difference between Standard and Premium editions is this:
      Scanahand allows you to make your own templates. For each template you can define your own character set (for example with Czech or Greek characters), so it allows you to create multilingual fonts. The template editor is available in both editions, but you need the premium edition in order to generate a font based on a custom template.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        How long did it take altogether?
        It took about 20 minutes of actual writing, then I had to make some refinements.
        The trial version of Scanahand cannot save fonts. You can try out all the various features and see how it works, but you can only see your font working in the preview of Scanahand. You cannot save or install it. The difference between Standard and Premium editions is this:
        Thank you!

BTW, also my grandfather made his font, and it's much better than mine (see attachment). It took about 30 minutes of writing and 5 minutes of refining of the scanned image.
        Attached Files
        IrfanPaint developer
        The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
        IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Working...
        X