Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop slideshow and load/work on current image?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop slideshow and load/work on current image?

It seems that every time I stop a slideshow while it's running using ESC, it loads a blank IrfanView window.

Is there a way to tell Irfanview I want to stop the slide show and load the current image I'm viewing in the standard Irfanview window so that I can work on it?

If not, I'm definitely making this a feature request.

and continue slideshow after editing picture

...oh and continue the slideshow where it left off after editing/saving/copying/renaming/etc the image you pressed ESC on (or whatever key takes you to the image loaded in the standard iview window).

Comment

Yes, you can pause an automatic slideshow using the Pause or Break keys. To load and edit the current image in window view, press CTRL+N. Make sure you enable more than one IrfanView instance in Properties. SHIFT+E can send it to an external editor as well. You don't have to stop the slideshow to use these hotkeys either, although I'm not sure why you wouldn't! You can resume using the Pause key.

BTW, you can start a slideshow with the current directory by using CTRL+W.
      Last edited by Skippybox; 05.12.2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dlegate View Post
        It seems that every time I stop a slideshow while it's running using ESC, it loads a blank IrfanView window.
        Is there a way to tell Irfanview I want to stop the slide show and load the current image I'm viewing in the standard Irfanview window so that I can work on it?
        If not, I'm definitely making this a feature request.
        The short answer is no.
        There is an alternative to a normal slideshow though that you might consider which is to use the viewer window set to full screen and press Shift+A to start or stop automatic image advancement. You can stop advancement and press Enter at any time to edit the image in the usual way and then start again where you left off.
        If you want to display files from a list rather than from a folder you would have to save the list as a .txt file from the slideshow dialog then open it again in Thumbnails (Options>Load file list from TXT file). Then double click the first thumbnail to display the first image of your show in the viewer. A bit laborious but possible.
        Other shortcomings of the Shift+A image advancement is that you cannot use random selection nor the alpha blend slide transition.

Do by all means raise a Feature request for what you really want, but you will not be the first to have done so.

P.S. I posted at the same time as Skippybox, although I had forgotten about Ctrl+N to capture the present image in another IV window. Very difficult to keep the show stopped meanwhile though, because pressing those buttons usually restarts it.
        Last edited by Mij; 05.12.2008, 05:52 PM. Reason: Comment on previous posting added

Comment

I agree it can be very tricky if you are doing a 1 sec automatic show. It shouldn't be too difficult if it's 5 sec or especially a manual show. I had forgotten that CTRL would start the show again though. So, you do have to hit Pause again. Even if you miss, you can easily go back. Glad at least it's possible!

I thought about using SHIFT+A, but like you say it has a few limitations. Nevertheless, it really is quite a good workaround to a conventional show.

We could combine our ideas, too. If you load the TXT file in Thumbnails and open the first image in the viewer, that could be your editor. Escape Thumbs, and start another instance of IrfanView to run your slideshow. Now, pause the show and ALT+Tab to the other IrfanView open containing your slideshow files. If you have text showing in the slideshow, you can note the index number, and while in the other window, press SHIFT+T to enter the directory index box. Type the number and it will show that image, allowing you to work on it. ALT+Tab to return to the slideshow, and it will resume. Just make sure you are careful, and keep the files sorted the same.
          Last edited by Skippybox; 05.12.2008, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X